JamesHambleton 87' VFR750 Liz Discussion - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > JamesHambleton 87' VFR750 Liz Discussion

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-06-2017, 06:13 PM   #11
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict
JamesHambleton's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:04 PM
Flip Offs: 12
Flipped Off 19 Times in 16 Posts
JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: JamesHambleton 87' VFR750 Liz

Lost my job today so I was back at home for 8:10am, got the frame and subframe and bolted them together.

Since today is my mum's day off work we sorted out the back end of the shed (her things) and that took most of the day. Managed to move some of my stuff to make better space too.

Managed to finally get my vfr frame into the shed onto a bench that hasn't been free in months, just gave it a quick wipe down with some TFR. Somewhat mocked up the swingarm and it needs a bit of trimming to make it fit the frame - not much but it does a tiny bit.

Oh and I bled through the front calipers and mastercylinder with new brake fluid.
JamesHambleton is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived JamesHambleton!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-07-2017, 06:17 AM   #12
Cookie2000ad
Persuasion Engineered
Cookie2000ad's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 166
Flipped Off 59 Times in 27 Posts
Cookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CK
Default Medal Burnout Contest Winner Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: JamesHambleton 87' VFR750 Liz Discussion

I used some alu tube to make spacers for my front axle... 25x35 sounds familiar, I can check what I have left over. You need about 50ml of spacing total?

Sorry about the job, hope you get something else fairly quick.
Cookie2000ad is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Cookie2000ad!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-07-2017, 08:49 AM   #13
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict
JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Thanks cookie, I'm back working at the biker cafe (route 59). I worked here before I worked at the butchers.

Thanks for the offer of the tube but yantosh is sorting me out with them ( I dont have access to a lathe)
JamesHambleton is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-08-2017, 12:26 PM   #14
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict

Done a tonne of cleaning of parts today as well as measuring up, good and bad news... atleast for me. Might be needing custom yokes unless I can manage to somehow claim back a few extra mm on the front.

To claim back a few mm (I'm thinking of spacing out the front discs which is less than ideal, or somehow finding some discs that have the same bolt pattern and pitch but I've got no idea where to start looking this up. Discuss pro's and cons with that please. I think custom yokes will cost more than new discs?

Here is a photo of the mocked up rear end that I took before the build off (thanks to Cookie and his thread for the details)

I wasn't happy with how rusty the rear nut, axle and rear disc looked - also a pre-build off photo

Video won't embed so here is the link https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArP4grxhMWOpnhO3YhlTyi8c1GV0

I started with cleaning up the nut, look at them bubbles go (and that is real time as you can also hear from the song)

A bit better than before

Still not 100% happy with it but it's much much better than what it was, just the inside of the axle letting it down now.

So onto the front end... The axle bolt came today

fitted the axle bolt and pumped out the pistons in the calipers to make sure they were centered and on the disc correctly.

Poor photo but this shows that I need a 5mm spacer for the caliper to clear the disc.

And this one shows how much of the spacer needs to have removed to get the alignment correct. 4mm

With the current spacing I'm roughly at 204mm but to get the alignment correct for the disc I lose 8mm, putting me down to 196mm and there isn't any yokes with that eye to eye distance. Lowest I can find is 204 (08-10 cbr1000rr) so it's either spacing out the discs, somehow finding some offset discs or buying some custom yokes.

Here is a load of measurements for the rc24 frame, axle points, swing arm pins ect.I don't want to clutter them all on the thread as they're kinda irrelevant for now - that and this thread isn't lacking in other photos
https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArP4grxhMWOpnh8aUFzIhM9ezbHA
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-09-2017, 04:40 AM   #15
Cookie2000ad
Persuasion Engineered
Cookie2000ad's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 166
Flipped Off 59 Times in 27 Posts
Cookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CK
Default Medal Burnout Contest Winner Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHambleton View Post
Done a tonne of cleaning of parts today as well as measuring up, good and bad news... atleast for me. Might be needing custom yokes unless I can manage to somehow claim back a few extra mm on the front.

To claim back a few mm (I'm thinking of spacing out the front discs which is less than ideal, or somehow finding some discs that have the same bolt pattern and pitch but I've got no idea where to start looking this up. Discuss pro's and cons with that please. I think custom yokes will cost more than new discs
This website can help you search for discs by bolt pattern etc, but also, handily, offset:

http://www.metalgear.com.au/search_b...asurements.php
Cookie2000ad is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Cookie2000ad!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-09-2017, 06:22 AM   #16
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict

Thanks cookie Rep'd for that. Turns out they don't even have my size as a standard disc but always handy to know.

Turns out... don't do measuring when you've got a headache and you're very tired. Measured up the front end wrong yesterday.

I've remeasured it this morning and with the custom front spacers come the fork eye to eye should be 204mm, meaning I won't be needing offset discs and that the cbr1000rr yokes (or any 204mm yokes) should fit.
This user High Fived JamesHambleton!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-10-2017, 08:22 AM   #17
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

gsxr yokes are 207mm, would only need 1.5mm spacers , I have a gsxr1000 bottom yoke here, possibly a top too ... I'd need to check
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-10-2017, 11:49 AM   #18
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict

It's the radial caliper to disc offset that I'm trying to correct enough to keep the disc off the calliper body.

Just been speaking to Yorkshiregooner and he says that the Gen 3 and Gen 4 cbr1000rr yokes are the same dimensions meaning the 2008-2016 yokes are all interchangeable with each other. So I'm picking them up on Sunday at a bargain price too!
This user High Fived JamesHambleton!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-12-2017, 04:36 PM   #19
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict

Picked up some cbr1000rr yokes this evening for a bargain price, went to meet the guy instead of getting him to post them (making connections) even though it for me about 7 in fuel and 2 hours of time. He also pressed out the stem for me so I can just get mine pressed in.

I was in a bit of a rush so no photos of them loose but here is them mounted to the top of the forks, I could have got some suzuki parts but urm... suzuki... Moving on Loving the look of these.

I did some measuring and some remeasuring and got the spacer sizes figured out. They're not exactly ideal for the caliper alignment but it's close enough and besides the pistons can take up the extra few mm.

Between the bottom of the forks there is 160mm of space. The wheel with bearings is 107mm, this leaves me with 53mm of space. I need x2 spacers so it means each spacers will need to be 26.5mm
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #20
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict

Noob question incoming....
With the read end, should I align the swingarm for the best chain alignment or the best shock alignment, or best wheel alignment?

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes