Daily Street SuMo - Page 49 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Daily Street SuMo

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #481
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:04 PM
Flip Offs: 33
Flipped Off 12 Times in 11 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here
Default Re: Daily Street SuMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
yeah, it's pretty simple to make a top clamp for the damper. Scotts mount holes should be centered over the stem front to rear, I forget the bolt spacing but remember it being a pretty simple number.
Well, not this time.

This pic shows that the GPR damper bracket/lower clamp is not centered on the OEM upper triple. Not sure why, but don't like it. This issue isn't a problem, but would be nice to center the new custom damper bracket on the new billet upper triple.

This pic shows that the damper mounting holes are offset, not in-line with the center of the stem. The damper mounting holes are also offset to the bracket/lower clamp mounting holes. The bracket/lower clamp mounting holes are also offset to the stem center.

Here's the problem. The space between the mounting holes on the new billet upper triple is 80mm (90mm hole centers). The damper body width is 76mm. The wall thickness (where the bolt goes through) of the new custom bracket/lower clamp wouldn't be more than 1mm on the damper side.

Can't make the base of the new custom bracket/lower triple wider than the new skinny billet bracket/lower clamp because of the shape of the new billet upper triple. A wider bracket will hang over on the sides.

I don't want to raise the damper at all. Needs to be in the same position as now.

Seems sketchy to me, with these tight tolerances, but might be possible. I'm doing my best to get some good measurements, and will try to make some hand drawings. Beyond that, I definitely need help.
Smoker is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #482
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

I'm sure there's some tolerance as far as hole location goes, if they were all perfectly centered you wouldn't need a slot in the arm (just a hole).

I suspect you could get away with no material on the inside of the bolt but could be wrong.

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, WR450SM street legal, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Junkie!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-13-2019, 02:44 PM   #483
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I'm sure there's some tolerance as far as hole location goes, if they were all perfectly centered you wouldn't need a slot in the arm (just a hole).

I suspect you could get away with no material on the inside of the bolt but could be wrong.
True on the forward/rearward positioning of the damper, but left-to-right position of the damper would have 1mm on each side between the damper and new custom bracket/lower clamp. Damper mounting holes and new bracket/lower clamp machining needs to be good, but not too difficult IMO.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #484
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Not much done, but got the measurements from the billet upper triple.

Rear mounting holes are close to 2mm offset from the stem center.

Now, I just need a sharp pencil and a cold slap in the face.

This user High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #485
RS_Raz
Chief Bodger
Senior Fighterer
RS_Raz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:04 AM
Flip Offs: 9
Flipped Off 8 Times in 8 Posts
RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Shame I'm nowhere near you. I could definitely help you with your slap in the face deficit.

Striving to remain dynamic in an ever-evolving environment and shit like that.
RS_Raz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived RS_Raz!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-18-2019, 02:49 AM   #486
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Got some work done. Starting to take shape.

These people High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #487
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Just a preliminary drawing to figure out what I want.

Shape looks good. Should be centered left-to-right and front-to-back, over the new upper triple.

This user High Fived Smoker!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes