River table (resin table) - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Anything non-motorcycle related goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > River table (resin table)

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-12-2019, 06:11 PM   #1
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:03 PM
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 57 Times in 47 Posts
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default River table (resin table)

I've been wanting to make one of these for a while, and I'm actually getting paid to build a big one with a fancy moto-inspired base, so I figured I should build a small one as a test. Glad I did, got a few good lessons out of it.

I started the tester with some free 120yr old pine barn boards (background). I pulled nails then sanded, torched, resanded and retorched to get the look I wanted.

Once I had those looking how I wanted, I waxed one of the bench tops and set the boards up

Lesson 1: old wood sucks up expensive resin like a hobo at an all-you-can-eat buffet. Coat it with something cheaper like Polycrylic, no oil based stuff.

Lesson 2: If you want to tint your resin with mica powder, don't buy a lot. It stretches more than a hobo's belt at an all-you-can-eat buffet... I used maybe a teaspoon to tint a cup of resin for this one pour. Didn't need to buy 2 containers of the stuff, even though it was pretty cheap.

Lesson 3: If you want to cast hollow items in your pour, don't. Fill them with resin or something ahead of time, so they don't start floating and releasing air bubbles in your pour.

I used spent brass and steel cases, I stuck them in the blue layer before it was fully cured to help hold them at random angles. Super glue would have been a better idea.

You can see an ominous trail of bubbles here if you look close...

And here's a 45acp shell acting as a buoy

It looked fine for a little while

Until Lesson 4: Don't exceed the recommended pour thickness. If it says 1/4", don't go more than a 1/4", even if you think you can go deeper... that's what she said

Lesson #4 was a happy accident for me... the heat caused by pouring 1/2" vs 1/4" caused the trapped air to bubble out from the shells and become trapped in the resin instead, as if under ice, which thankfully kinda made it look like the shells were smoking, rather than totally ruining the piece.

In the narrower section there was less heat, but the tiny residual bubbles were trapped during the fast cure, vs being allowed to rise and pop, leaving a clear pour.

Plodding on I filled the "river" and got a coating across the tops of the boards

Lesson 5: Plug holes, knots from the bottom before beginning the pour, or you'll wonder where all your resin is going. It doesn't cure fast enough to fill holes by itself.

In keeping with the ammo theme, I filled the offending holes with lead shot, 22lr brass, and airgun pellets. By this time the initial sequence of pours had cured, so I had to scuff the top to prep for the final flood coat.

Lesson 6: Masking tape adhesive bonds give way to resin, don't rely on tape alone to form a resin dam. Luckily I had some modeling clay at hand and stuffed chunks of that in the corners over the tape to seal the leaks.

Stuff is mesmerizing when it's wet. Which leads us to...

Lesson 7: Insects suck. I had no issues with any of the previous pours, but of course, on the last flood coat a mosquito decided to die happy in the edge of my flood coat! Lesson learned, have a cover ready for the pour. After babysitting the bubbles to pop them all, cover the pour to cure overnight.

Side note; make sure you buy more supplies than you think you'll need. More mixing cups, more stirring sticks, and definitely extra resin.

Find me on Facebook at Sebspeed Customs

Float like a Goldwing, sting like a gixxer

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
SEBSPEED is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived SEBSPEED!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-12-2019, 06:12 PM   #2
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: River table (resin table)

Thanks to my pal the mosquito, I had to sand the entire top. I did not have enough resin left in the 1 gallon kit I bought to pour another flood coat, so, I ran it up to my friends shop where I do my paint work, and shot a bunch of clear on it. Another note, resin sucks up paint like a camel at a watering hole... buy extra. I ended up shooting 9 coats!

Some might notice the corner of pine that was sanded off - I don't have a planer so I had to deal with the board not being flat. I had planned to bury it in resin, but that didn't work out, so I sanded it down and sealed it prior to clearcoat.

We left it in the bug-free booth over the weekend and I grabbed it this morning. Seems like it turned out ok. Time to make some legs!

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
These people High Fived SEBSPEED!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-12-2019, 06:51 PM   #3
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Pictures don't work for me, but I'm in a bad spot. Helped a buddy build a couple of these things for a bar last summer. He was the brains, I was just dumb muscle. Anyway, keep a small torch handy for the problem bubbles. You can heat that area to allow them to lift out. Good luck, man.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-12-2019, 07:01 PM   #4
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:03 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

bloody hell that is cool

SECRET SANTA 2019 IS NOW TAKING ENTRIES! (CLICK HERE FOR LINK)
Mattson is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-12-2019, 07:31 PM   #5
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:03 AM
Flip Offs: 34
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Nice work.

Love the colors.
Smoker is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-13-2019, 03:35 AM   #6
titan
hooligan quads

CF Addict
titan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 14 Times in 2 Posts
titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

That's is awesome mate. Always fancied doing one my self

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

ride it like you stole it

Customization not Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
2020 build off - build - chat
titan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived titan!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-13-2019, 06:13 PM   #7
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

I've started pouring the big one, I'll post it when done. Can see myself making more if $ budget allows for resin.

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-13-2019, 06:43 PM   #8
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Was thinking about this some more. I bet you could drill holes and inject resin in to those bubbles if you wanted them gone. Just a syringe and some patience.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-13-2019, 09:06 PM   #9
beezwiz
GURU
CF Addict
beezwiz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:03 PM
Flip Offs: 7
Flipped Off 14 Times in 8 Posts
beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!beezwiz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

[QUOTE=SEBSPEED;3132556]Thanks to my pal the mosquito, I had to sand the entire top. I did not have enough resin left in the 1 gallon kit I bought to pour another flood coat, so, I ran it up to my friends shop where I do my paint work, and shot a bunch of clear on it. Another note, resin sucks up paint like a camel at a watering hole... buy extra. I ended up shooting 9 coats!

Sebastian! Excellent work for the test table... bubbles coming out of shells is an awesome effect I would play upon. If ya could get the bubbles maybe "Blood Red" even better!

Beez.

Imagine breaking into another country, and then arguing that their detention centers didn't meet your standards?
beezwiz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived beezwiz!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-13-2019, 11:17 PM   #10
Casper
The friendly Ghost.
Casper's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:03 AM
Flip Offs: 188
Flipped Off 34 Times in 28 Posts
Casper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympusCasper sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Looks awesome!
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Casper!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion