Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

offset dogbones?

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Casper 
#1 ·
My swingarm, shock, and exhaust aren't playing nice together and I need to make a "dogleg" dog bone for one side to get everything to clear. Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking just bending a piece of strap and adding some heavy "gussets" to it for rigidity at the bends.

See less See more
#12 ·
How about something more like this? The main change is the dogbone is one piece. The inner bit is Y shaped and thicker, as it will see more stress. The outer bit is mainly for stability. You could make it from 3 pieces of flat strap steel with bends in them. If you are worried about flex when loaded (probably a valid concern) you could bridge the inner Y.

Attachments

#13 ·
You can also cut a slot in the swingarm shock bolt mount to have two straight dog bones with the full shear strength of the swingarm shock bolt through both bearings / bushings. Just need to make sure to add a couple caps to keep dirt / dust out.

#15 ·
Okay, no cutting on the swingarm...

Instead of having the 90° bends in between the swingarm shock bolt and the knuckle (or shock eye), add a 3rd dimension to the system. Have a triangle on the left side, a tab of the dogbone on the right side coming out of your screen enough to clear the swingarm through bolt mount, a brace (round tube?) between the tab and the triangle that sits underneath the swingarm through bolt mount and another part of the dogbone going straight from the brace to the knuckle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.