Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Wheel widening...or an applicable swap?

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Ironspade 
#1 ·
I want a 17x4.5 rear wheel on my Honda CX500.

My options are:

1. spoke rims and go laces. This is easy, but expensive...especially considering the hub to go up front to match and fit my R6 forks is going to cost $400 all by itself.

2. Wheel widening. The Comstar wheels match my R6 wheel close enough that it does not clash. I can always get a CB750 or GL1000 17x2.5 comstar and have it widened. This seems...expensive...and I can't find anyone who does it. Either no one does or I don't know how to search for them. There was an outfit called Kosman that don't seem to be around anymore.

3. Wheel swap. This has so far proved...difficult. I originally wanted a 17x5.5 R6 wheel but getting a 180 in the swingarm will require a custom everything. It will be difficult and complicated. I thought I would try an FZ6 wheel because it's a 17x4.5 but everything else about that wheel is BIGGER than the R6 wheel. I thought I would try a GT650R wheel because the hub is very small but I can't make that work without eating into the central webbing that supports the wheel...I think it's dangerous to do.

Right now I'm trying to focus on ideas for the middle two. I'm interested in outfits that widen wheels.

I'm also interested in other wheels that might swap over. Specifically looking for 5-spoke shaft drive variants.

See less See more
#11 ·
I know a guy who used a plasma cutter to cut out flanges that bolted in place to the stock Comstar shaft drive hub and allowed him to lace up a 36 spoke alloy rim. I imagine he would either be able to make you a set of similar flanges or share the file with you and you could have them made somewhere.

Reactions: XxGRYMMxX
#13 ·
Ok for some reason I got two guys confused. The guy I saw that did spokes, I don't know. But the guy I'm thinking of took the rear wheel apart and welded flanges to a stock undrilled alloy rim and bolted it in. If you are on Instagram, his name is craigjackson512 and you can see pics of how he did it.

Sorry if this caused any confusion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.