Turbo KZ900 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Turbo KZ900

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
kwakanut
The Polish Prince

CF Lover
kwakanut's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:32 AM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 37 Times in 15 Posts
kwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to all
Default Turbo KZ900

Hey all, I'm baaaaaaaack!! You may remember from this thread: http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ead.php?t=3879
Well that project has become the longest term project EVER. Currently having some titanium connecting rods made. In the mean time, I've been working on another KZ project. It doesn't really qualify as a figher in the strictest sense, or any sense for that matter, but I figured you all might like to follow it all the same.

It started it's life with me looking like this:

This is the text from the ad for it:

"1976 Turbo KZ 900 Kawasaki motorcycle - this project bike has been in the making for the past 5 years. I just don't have the time or the space needed to complete the project. The motor and transmission was assembled by Joe Hahn at Orient Express and after breaking the motor in, the oil seal inside the turbo started leaking. The turbo is off and was scheduled to be sent to Majestic Turbo in Dallas for a quick rebuild, but has not been to date. The following parts have been used in the assembly of the bike:
8.0:1 compression 13mm/1428cc Wiseco pistons rings,
MTC big block,
a welded Falicon crank,
new rod bearings (both ends) and crank girdle.
New billet back cut 1st, 2nd, and 4th gears from Orient Express,
a billet clutch basket with needle bearings behind it, and lock-up clutch.
Fresh valve job with Webcam's grind number 247 camshaft for nitrous/turbo Pro-Mod bikes in the head.
Copper head gasket and APE's adjustable cam chain tensioner with adjustable (slotted) cam gears and new APE cam chain.
An ATP turbo kit with 40mm flatslide Mikuni and adjustable wastegate.
New rear shocks
DID aluminum spoke rims front and rear,
stock swing arm was stretched 3
The ignition is an external belt-driven Vertex Magneto by Bill Hahn Products
APE kickstart block off plate and many other items"

Naturally there was more wrong with it than listed. It clearly required a complete teardown!

The turbo was and old Rajay F40 like the ones that came in the original ATP kits. Parts are no longer made for it. So the first thing I did was replace it with a Garrett t3/t4 which is better suited to that size motor any way.

Credo quia absurdum est, baby.

Jokers to the left of me, clowns to the right....

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money.

If I wanted to lick a hippie I'd return Joan Baez's phone calls. - Jack Doneghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokermachine View Post
I don't remember why I forgot about it.
kwakanut is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived kwakanut!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
kwakanut
The Polish Prince

CF Lover
kwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to allkwakanut is a name known to all
Default Re: Turbo KZ900

I decided to seriously upgrade the frame and suspension, so the parts gathering and strip down began:

Frame braced up:

Ditched the rims, swinger, and front end in favor of a ZRX1200 rearend, works performance rear shocks, ohlins forks for a ZRX, custom triple trees, titanium axles, Carrozzeria wheels, ohlins steering damper, and other assorted bits.

Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
kwakanut
The Polish Prince

CF Lover

Body work consists so far of cutting out the top of the fuel tank and replacing it with one from a ZRX tank in order to use this spiffy cap:

Looking like this:

Rearsets adapted from an early 90s GSXR, custom damper mount, custom gauge mounts, custom tail light bracket.

Right now the frame and bodywork are done. I like my shite to be a bit understated, so the paint job is pretty sedate.

Engine: as I said, there was a bit more wrong with the motor than they stated or possibly knew. The sellers were, ummmm, hacks. The tranny has some play. I checked it and it's out of standard but within spec. Haven't decided what to do there yet. There was a broken case bolt that needed fixing.

It looks like I'm going to give the engine a thorough going over to see what's what in there.

And that's how she stands right now.

Quote:

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
Fathead_03
Flashburnt
CF Pimp
Fathead_03's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:32 AM
Flip Offs: 145
Flipped Off 35 Times in 30 Posts
Fathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud ofFathead_03 has much to be proud of
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Fucking awesome! + Rep for having a sick build!

Build Threads
2009 Winter Buildoff CBR Build Thread
After-Buildoff CBR Build Thread
CB750 Hardtail Bobber Build "Old's Cool"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denvgasm View Post
someone died ban everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbwstripes View Post
I like carbon peaking through the paint. It's like side boob.
Fathead_03 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
SUBZERO
Playing Pelvic Penuckle!
CF Pimp
SUBZERO's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:32 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 561 Times in 559 Posts
SUBZERO has much to be proud ofSUBZERO has much to be proud ofSUBZERO has much to be proud ofSUBZERO has much to be proud ofSUBZERO has much to be proud ofSUBZERO has much to be proud ofSUBZERO has much to be proud ofSUBZERO has much to be proud ofSUBZERO has much to be proud ofSUBZERO has much to be proud ofSUBZERO has much to be proud of

nice wore. Keep it up!

Helmet laws are to protect brains that have such poor judgment they would not wear a helmet unless they were forced to.

Point = http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=31735
750 Dirtfighter = http://www.customfighters.com/forums...t=34046&page=9
MDD Cafe = http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=41181
SUBZERO is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:32 AM
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

sweet mate , had one of them mags , like a dumb ass i let it go .... i'll find another one day
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
CK 187
CAPTAIN AWESOMEŽ

CK 187's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 631
Flipped Off 470 Times in 171 Posts
CK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Wow......fucking wow. Awesome build so far.
CK 187 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived CK 187!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #8
ShowYo Moto Inc

Fighterer
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
ShowYo Moto Inc is a glorious beacon of lightShowYo Moto Inc is a glorious beacon of lightShowYo Moto Inc is a glorious beacon of lightShowYo Moto Inc is a glorious beacon of lightShowYo Moto Inc is a glorious beacon of lightShowYo Moto Inc is a glorious beacon of lightShowYo Moto Inc is a glorious beacon of lightShowYo Moto Inc is a glorious beacon of lightShowYo Moto Inc is a glorious beacon of light
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month 

Very nice work!!! incredible clean weld work!!
ShowYo Moto Inc is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
Wolfman

CF Pimp
Wolfman's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:32 AM
Flip Offs: 15
Flipped Off 23 Times in 17 Posts
Wolfman is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Wolfman is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Wolfman is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Wolfman is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Wolfman is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Wolfman is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Wolfman is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Wolfman is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Wolfman is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Wolfman is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Wolfman is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

wow
I gotta see this thing man
keep us posted

FYI I thought you were gone

I does what I likes and I likes what I do

My build : http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ead.php?t=8919
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Wolfman!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #10
Hitman Cody2130
GURU

CF Addict
Hitman Cody2130's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:32 AM
Flip Offs: 45
Flipped Off 10 Times in 5 Posts
Hitman Cody2130 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Hitman Cody2130 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Hitman Cody2130 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Hitman Cody2130 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Hitman Cody2130 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Hitman Cody2130 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Hitman Cody2130 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Hitman Cody2130 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Hitman Cody2130 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Hitman Cody2130 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Hitman Cody2130 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Turbo'd bikes are awsome, but that thing will be scary fast when its done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalonka View Post
If the Mob didn't have Tommy Guns, they would have used Street Fighters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGGIN View Post
And if the good lord didn't want us to masturbate, he would have made our arms shorter.
Hitman Cody2130 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Hitman Cody2130!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes