3D printers - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > General Streetfighter Discussion

General Streetfighter Discussion Discussions about streetfighter riding.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > 3D printers

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-27-2020, 11:40 PM   #11
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:42 PM
Flip Offs: 46
Flipped Off 22 Times in 21 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: 3D printers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGyver View Post
You read my mind with the mold for carbon statement! Is the stuff easy to sand to a glossy finish?

You're getting close to making me spend money I never planned to spend! I assume there is a "mirror" function in the CAD softwares. I like the idea of clicking a button and getting a mirror image. Hated that process for the tank and tail foam sculpting.
Again it depends on the specific material you use, but generally yeah. There's a rather large segment of folks that print like... figurines and shit. Comic heroes, warhammer stuff, etc. They sand and paint them and they come out perfect.
Actual glossy, that I'm not so sure of, but smooth enough to make a mold from would be pretty easy to accomplish. I think if I were doing it, I'd spray the part with a layer of that sorta thick filler primer and just sand that.

Yep, and actually the slicer software itself can do it too. But doing it in CAD is literally less than a second's work.

Cmon Mikey do it! Here I'll make it easy for ya...

E3: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...0186360&sr=8-2

More E3: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...0186360&sr=8-3

E5: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...0186360&sr=8-1

Could even print a water slide, 235mm at a time.

Be forewarned though, these things aren't entirely plug and play. There's calibration and adjustments and tuning to be done to get it right. They print fine out of the box, usually, but to get it to the point where it's super consistent and accurate takes some tinkering. It's not complicated stuff though and I'm happy to help along the way, so don't shy away from the idea, but just be aware that there's a learning curve to climb over if you want to be able to run <0.1mm dimensional accuracy consistently.

For the record, whenever I one day get around to doing the little tail thing on the Hyper, I plan on printing a thin shell and just doing a carbon layup onto it. The process will be draw shape in CAD > run through slicer > print > glue sides together > carbon. Doesn't get much more straightforward than that, and it'll fit right and be perfectly symmetrical the first time. Thinking of the hours spent shaping foam like that, the printer pays for itself right there on that one project.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived mcantar!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-28-2020, 12:28 AM   #12
MikeGyver
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
MikeGyver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:42 PM
Flip Offs: 312
Flipped Off 173 Times in 149 Posts
MikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Fighter of the Month 

I just spent over an hour staring at the pool slide. Funny you should bring that up.

'98 Ducati 916
'00 Ducati 996
'03 SV650(sold)

Skully Stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbuc View Post
yell, "Built not bought mother fucker!" in there face and then spit on their bike and walk off.
MikeGyver is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived MikeGyver!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-28-2020, 12:50 PM   #13
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:42 PM
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 57 Times in 47 Posts
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
Again it depends on the specific material you use, but generally yeah. There's a rather large segment of folks that print like... figurines and shit. Comic heroes, warhammer stuff, etc. They sand and paint them and they come out perfect.
Actual glossy, that I'm not so sure of, but smooth enough to make a mold from would be pretty easy to accomplish. I think if I were doing it, I'd spray the part with a layer of that sorta thick filler primer and just sand that.

Yep, and actually the slicer software itself can do it too. But doing it in CAD is literally less than a second's work.

Cmon Mikey do it! Here I'll make it easy for ya...

E3: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...0186360&sr=8-2

More E3: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...0186360&sr=8-3

E5: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...0186360&sr=8-1

Could even print a water slide, 235mm at a time.

Be forewarned though, these things aren't entirely plug and play. There's calibration and adjustments and tuning to be done to get it right. They print fine out of the box, usually, but to get it to the point where it's super consistent and accurate takes some tinkering. It's not complicated stuff though and I'm happy to help along the way, so don't shy away from the idea, but just be aware that there's a learning curve to climb over if you want to be able to run <0.1mm dimensional accuracy consistently.

For the record, whenever I one day get around to doing the little tail thing on the Hyper, I plan on printing a thin shell and just doing a carbon layup onto it. The process will be draw shape in CAD > run through slicer > print > glue sides together > carbon. Doesn't get much more straightforward than that, and it'll fit right and be perfectly symmetrical the first time. Thinking of the hours spent shaping foam like that, the printer pays for itself right there on that one project.

You'll need to print with a solvent resistant filament to accomplish what you seek there. For the same reason ppl use "acetone misting" to smooth their prints, so will run into issues applying solvent based products like epoxy paint and resin, and bondo, to most of the filaments.

Also, the yellow part. Bane of my 3D printing experience. The constant effing about. Mostly me, I don't love dicking with it, rather spend that time learning more about my metal cnc mill, but I'm blessed to have that so I shouldn't really complain as my situation is a bit unique there.

Mac, you were extremely helpful with info and getting my E3 set up... have you considered putting your setup & run thoughts in a post here? Maybe we can get Mike to sticky it?

ETA the whole molding thing reminds me, we have a Ducati cush project that needs doing!

Find me on Facebook at Sebspeed Customs

Float like a Goldwing, sting like a gixxer

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
SEBSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived SEBSPEED!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-28-2020, 02:46 PM   #14
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp
XxGRYMMxX's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:42 PM
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 13 Times in 10 Posts
XxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEBSPEED View Post

Mac, you were extremely helpful with info and getting my E3 set up... have you considered putting your setup & run thoughts in a post here? Maybe we can get Mike to sticky it?
I was just going to ask if someone would show the mods on a proper set up, like Mason was describing. I'm sure there's tons of stuff out there But I like to see what people whose opinion matter to me. Ive seen the stuff Macantar and Seb make, I'd trust their recommendations over the web masses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
They can ban, outlaw, and restrict whatever they please. I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I'm doing, because I don't really give a shit. The only thing that will change is that I'll be breaking their made up bullshit rules while doing it, and I'm comfortable with that.

My Build http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=118649
XxGRYMMxX is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived XxGRYMMxX!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-28-2020, 04:04 PM   #15
titan
hooligan quads

CF Addict
titan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:42 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 14 Times in 2 Posts
titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

new 3D printing sections?? i dont see it going away any time soon..

im contemplating the E5 plus, just go big.. if i do get my dagree started im sure it will get some use as some of the sections include CAD and 3D printing.

ride it like you stole it

Customization not Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
H Designs

2020 build off - build - chat
titan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived titan!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-28-2020, 07:37 PM   #16
mcantar

CF Pimp
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEBSPEED View Post
You'll need to print with a solvent resistant filament to accomplish what you seek there. For the same reason ppl use "acetone misting" to smooth their prints, so will run into issues applying solvent based products like epoxy paint and resin, and bondo, to most of the filaments.
I dunno where you're getting this from... PLA, PETG, and ABS all bond pretty well with epoxy resin, I'm sure other plastics do too but that's like 90% of printing right there in those 3. I saw a post on a "functional print" board recently where a guy was making a special die for his press to stamp a custom profile in 1/8" steel, printed either PLA or PETG with very low infill and just straight up filled it with epoxy AND IT WORKED FOR LIKE 50 PARTS! I was very impressed.

And yeah we gotta get on those cush drives. It's on the list lol.

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-28-2020, 07:45 PM   #17
mcantar

CF Pimp

I think I'd get behind a printing forum. Part of me feels like the amount of people here that have/use them is probably in the single digits and so there isn't really gonna be enough volume to set aside a subforum for. On the other hand, the more exposure it all gets, the more people will want their own... gotta start somewhere if it's gonna grow, right?

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:
This user High Fived mcantar!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-28-2020, 07:57 PM   #18
mcantar

CF Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxGRYMMxX View Post
I was just going to ask if someone would show the mods on a proper set up, like Mason was describing. I'm sure there's tons of stuff out there But I like to see what people whose opinion matter to me. Ive seen the stuff Macantar and Seb make, I'd trust their recommendations over the web masses.
Well without going into any real detail... you need to assemble the printer as square and true as possible. Then get the bed level. Then all 4 axis need to be calibrated (how much distance does one step of that particular motor give), adjusted, calibrated, repeat until it's right.
Then you need to learn and get decent at figuring out how fast your printer can go while printing before you start seeing issues in the print finish... speed is different for printing walls vs infill, printing inner walls vs outer walls, printing along one axis vs printing across 2, etc. And temps... bed temp, nozzle temp, starting temp, running temp, temp for printing over a gap, temps for better layer bond vs better finish, different ideal temps for each roll of filament you use.
Then the nozzle/feed stuff... how fast to print, how much to retract and when, how much to slow down for the X/Y slowing down while accounting for the springyness of the feed tube continuing to push, etc.
And part cooling stuff, and bed adhesion stuff, and so on. And how all this shit needs to be changed and adjusted for this type of plastic vs that one, or for a part with a lot of overhangs, or for an especially warm/cold day outside, or what the fuck ever.

You CAN use a baseline "profile" in your slicer (e.g. Cura) that sets all this shit for you, and the profiles are pretty good by now. And wherever you do have an issue, there's someone out there who has posted their settings for that type of plastic or that had the exact issue you have and found a way to fix it.
So you aren't just jumping into the deep end blind, as daunting as that first paragraph might look. You have a known-good baseline to start with and play with things as you go (after the calibration stuff anyways).

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-28-2020, 08:53 PM   #19
MikeGyver
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
MikeGyver's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:42 PM
Flip Offs: 312
Flipped Off 173 Times in 149 Posts
MikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too muchMikeGyver plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Fighter of the Month 

^ That right there helped me not spend my money.

'98 Ducati 916
'00 Ducati 996
'03 SV650(sold)

Skully Stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbuc View Post
yell, "Built not bought mother fucker!" in there face and then spit on their bike and walk off.
MikeGyver is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-28-2020, 09:18 PM   #20
mcantar

CF Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGyver View Post
^ That right there helped me not spend my money.
It's easier than it sounds, I promise. The way it usually works for people is assemble printer > calibrate printer > open Cura, select your printer, select the pre-set profile you want > print shit.

You tinker and learn as you go.

And the calibration process is pretty easy. You print an opject of known size (20mm cubes are common). Measure X. Cube measures 19.2mm, for example... find the % difference between 19.2 and 20.0, adjust the steps/mm in the firmware by that %, print again to confirm. Repeat for Y and Z. Extruder is the same, just with length... manually jog 100mm, measure what actually came out, adjust by that %.

For finding ideal temps for a roll of filament you print a "temp tower". It's a tower with marked sections, it automatically increases the nozzle temp by X at each new section, you pick the best one and write the temp in sharpie on the side of that roll.

Don't be discouraged Mike. These are great tools to have.

Turbo Busa v1.1
Quote:

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > General Streetfighter Discussion