Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

What the hell did I just buy? (GSXR engines)

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  weeeird 
#1 ·
Since my life is little more than work and sleep this past six months, I find more time to peruse classifieds and the bay of E for items I can make myself think I need. For the lifelong projects I already have or the builds I may get to in the afterlife.

I came across a Craigslist ad for “1986,87,88 GSXR 1100 engines” for 300 bux. The pics showed a pair of engines, two extra barrels and a box of sleeves. The alternator mounts were blocked off and they had extra oil lines. They were over 125 miles away and I figured they would be gone before I could make time to get there. So I didn’t contact them. A couple weeks later and I see the same ad, but dropped down to 200. I figured it was a sign and texted them, still thinking I wouldn’t get them. Long story short, he responds the next day, we call back and forth and I commit to getting them the next day. He texted that night to let me know if I wasn’t coming, let him know, as his phone was ringing off the hook, but I was first in line. I assured him I was coming.

Six hours round trip, and 260 ‘Murican pesos later (200 for the parts, 60 for fuel), I have these two 1052s to go with my two powerscreen 1127s. My question for the experts, before I tear into these, what should I be looking for? What does and doesn’t exchange between the oil boilers? What are the good parts? I have picked up a Bandit barrel and head, machined them for a set of Busa pistons and have a base spacer I intended to put on my 1127. Would they work on these engines as well? I am not sure what is going on with these barrels on these two, either. The stock sets seem to be the two loose ones, but the ones one the engines have no markings. The back story I got from the seller was these were the back up engines for a friends dwarf racer (just like my 1127!), the fellow sold the racer and most of his worldly goods about five years ago to move to the Philippines with a girl he met online and was never heard from again, by anyone. The seller needed them out of the hangar he had shared with the guy. So, no history.

Anywho, I feel I got a deal, even if both engines need work. Looking for opinions.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
those look like big blocks, orient express or some such thing.

bandit barrels wont drop onto a 1052 without opening the crankcases bores, but i,d be surprised if theyre stock

left hand engine cover has one bolt out of pitch between 1052 and 1127

might have won a watch there

#3 ·
The more I poke, the happier I become. I will open them both up in the next day or so. I jumped on them, thinking if nothing else, I would add to my parts and gut one for a set up engine, as I have a challenge anytime I want to put an engine in and out by my lonesome.
I still might not have a junk engine, hopefully.

#6 ·
Sorry, guys, haven’t touched ‘em. I am taking what little spare time I have from work and swapping out the entire drivetrain from my wrecked GTI to it’s doppelgänger. I am without a car of my own, right now, and winter is coming.

I can be a puss about riding in the rain too much.

Also trying to tell myself the unfinished streetfighter ‘87 GSXR1100 with an SSSA and a radial USD front someone has advertised nearby on Craigslist for $850 is the last thing I need.

I have a sickness.

#7 ·
it isn't like you get a whole lotta winter there... but yeah, riding in the rain can be unpleasant

and yeah, that could make a cool project

Reactions: Zweihammer
#10 ·
Well, I texted him and he got back to me.
Let him know if it was what he claimed in the ad, he could consider it sold.
I am meeting him Sunday morning.
I have been looking for a titled slabby or slingy frame for a few months now. For what he’s asking all I have been finding are binned Bandits, or bikes with 1k in back fees at the DMV.
I figure, worse comes to worse, I could break it for parts and make my money back 2X.
I’m weak.

#12 ·
Well, the seller was straight up honest.
Both bikes in the ad were his. The ratty black slabby for sale, and the beautiful show slingy.
He and his friends built them, along two other 750 slingshots a few years back.
According to him, the one I bought was his friend’s daily around San Jose and the South Bay. Rode it until he had issues that caused him to park it in ‘14.
Can’t imagine what that would be with a no-gauges-or-turn-signals, straight pipe, hooligan’s perch running around the city.
Exactly what I lusted for about ten years ago.
It is a runner with a clean title. Wiring is roughly as a cob, but the rest of the mods look solid.

Attachments

#14 ·
I've lusted after a slabby for a long time, wish I'd had space to pick it up

looking forward to your build

Reactions: Zweihammer
#15 ·
1052 had the best crank (flexible - doesn't break)
and the best clutch set-up (large diameter with coil springs)
1st gen transmissions had a tendency to round off dogs and blow 2nd gear
Bandit 1200 transmissions are much better.

The 1052 crank is shorter (58mm I think) and gives different displacement than 1127/1157
1127 pistons with 1052 bottom end is 1109
1216 pistons with 1052 bottom end is 1194
1277 pistons with 1052 bottom end is 1255
1340 pistons with 1052 bottom end is 1316

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.