Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

who here races?

3K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  Junkie 
#1 ·
Does anybody else here race?

3ish years ago I picked up a supermoto trackbike, last year I started racing it on kart tracks.

First race of the season is this weekend. Not sure if I'll manage to race, probably cracked a rib doing flat track Monday. I'll be there, but it might hurt too much to be worth racing.

Reactions: 929_adam
#2 ·
way back in the day i was going to start racing sm.. as it was popular.. but then the government made supermoto illegal to insure.. kinda lost interest in not being able to do double duty..

i may try flat track one day.. just need to build a bike.. my old man and his buddy race up here in the pnw.. they've been going to sacramento since they re opened it.

#5 ·
I really wouldn't want street equipment on my racebike. More weight, more shit to break.

can you insure factory SMs?

#10 ·
Bike racing is unusually expensive around here. Even track days are crazy. To run track days you have to buy a membership to an organization ( there are a few) which runs $400-500 per year, then you pay another $250-400 per day when you actually go to the track. Kinda hard for me to justify that. If you wanted to go every weekend you're pushing $50k /year.

But I drag raced cars years. $25 at the game when you show up. Sometimes I have a desire to build a drag bike, but it's a pretty dead sport in this area. We're losing tracks.

Really been wanting to join the harescramble guys but I'm a big ole pussy and keep making excuses. I think it would be the most fun.

#11 ·
around here big bike trackdays are expensive ($200+ generally). kart track days are cheap - you can get an annual membership at Stockton for $300 I think, and whenever there isn't an event you can ride without paying. Or, $40/day for a non-member. Sears Point kart track is $60/day.

#13 ·
#14 ·
Up here we have training days. I think three different organisations on a weekly basis. Usually they charge 10-20€ for an hour of track time. And an hour is more than enough. You either register during the day and go tuere, or hope there is some free spot. Then theres track days, i think they were like 60-80€ for a day.
About organisations, IIRC we had LAMA(Latvian amateur motorcycle asociation) and that was moatly motox releated and i dont know anything about that. And then theres the LaMSF(Latvian motorcycle sport federation) this is like local FIM. Thats where i'm planning to be a licensed member. That will mean i count as an athlete :D you need to have permision from doctor to race and health insurance. Then you pick your race branch. Mine will be mazmotošoseja(small bike motorcycle racing)
Also those track evenings happens around two tracks
Sabi.lv
333.lv
First one hosts world rallyx stages as well. Its wothin city borders and there is some troubles about people complaining about noise levels. But that track has been there for a lot longer than houses and you dont start to live near track and expect it to be silent

#16 ·
picked up a new(er) bike to race

2015 KTM 450XC-F wearing SX-F tank/plastics, Thumper Racing big bore kit, 16.5/5" Excel/Talon wheels, Berringer 6pot brake, Hinson slipper clutch and cover, full FMF exhaust, supermoto triple clamps, etc

#17 ·
I'm planning to go racing this year. I've drag raced, done top speed stuff and a few track days, but never any proper circuit racing. I did get my licence about fifteen years ago, but never did anything with it due to cost.
Here in the UK we have to have an ACU (Auto Cycle Union) licence to race, for which we must have a club licence, a medical and do a one day training programme to get the licence, but I'm only at the stage of building the bike (the 'Hack to thrash' project).
A new licence holder has to run with a reflective novice bib until they've achieved a number of race finishes at different venues.

#20 ·
I'd like to get into minis too. Once I get rid of the 03 WR450 and clean up some other stuff I'll start looking for one. Not sure what exactly though - 65? 150f? grom knockoff?

#23 ·
#24 ·
I raced Motocross for years also did a little road racing and some supermoto got a list of injuries to prove it , but one of the most fun was racing Super mini's. Not as much money and risk as the big bikes but still super competitive. I built a Honda 06 NSF100. Put a CRF150R engine into it reworked the suspension and a list of other mods. Here are a couple pics of that bike.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.