Should I buy a salvaged S1000R? - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > General Streetfighter Discussion

General Streetfighter Discussion Discussions about streetfighter riding.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Should I buy a salvaged S1000R?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #1
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:30 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 
Default Should I buy a salvaged S1000R?

someone posted this in a local FB group:

2019 BMW S1000R
$5,000

Total miles 1300. I confirmed that it's still under warranty until June 2022. Bought from San Jose BMW in june. Got in to accident in August. It fell on the send and grass. Salvage title due to scratch on the frame. Engine, gearbox and exhaust are not damaged. Total cost to fix it will be around 2k. This is fully loaded bike except alarm and the most expensive wheels. Let me know if you are interested.

should I buy that? he says it needs a radiator and bars, plus the fairing mount. radiator is close to a grand new, trying to figure out if an RR unit will fit (way easier to find).

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, FE570, FS570, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-10-2019, 12:17 AM   #2
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:30 PM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 21 Times in 20 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus
Default Re: Should I buy a salvaged S1000R?

I'd pass, he's asking way too much and has too low an estimate to fix. It needs more than he mentions there/is aware of.
MSRP new is $14k. Perfectly clean bike with a salvage title, resale value would probably be around $8-9k... probably less if you mention it was crashed.
Rad is $1k, plastics are probably gonna be another grand, headlight a few hundred, tank probably around $500, etc. By the time you fix it up back to OEM condition you'll be at or over the resale value.

If you REALLY want one of THESE specific bikes and it fits your budget right now with plans to do repairs over the winter or whatever, sure. If you want to part it out, you could probably get your money back or maybe a little tiny bit of profit assuming the engine, exhaust, wheels, etc. really are undamaged.
But if your intent is to keep it and this bike has no intrinsic value for you, I'd say it's a bad call.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived mcantar!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to allJunkie is a name known to all
Fighter of the Month 

the repair estimate is 19k in parts alone... but that includes 4200 frame, 2400 tank, 1500 muffler, 4400 header. damage to all of those is minor to say the least.

this would be to ride, not to flip, and after looking at it in person I think it could be fixed to a decent rider for a couple grand no problem.

I went and looked at it last night. it has ride modes, electronic suspension, heated grips, cruise control, etc. not the forged wheels though. with the options MSRP is 16k.

I'm planning on buying it once he gets the title from BMW. I don't think I'll be making it pristine.

I need to figure out whether I can run an S1000RR radiator: those are WAY cheaper (aftermarket) than stock (OEM only).

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, FE570, FS570, 450XCF SM trackbike
These people High Fived Junkie!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Fighter of the Month 

https://imgur.com/a/VzS439X has more pics (that I took) and the estimate. I forgot to get pics of the exhaust damage but it's *really* minor.

I believe the oil near the sight glass is most likely from the crankcase breather

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #5
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:30 AM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Fk it, life's too short not to.

Fix her up nicer as and when funds become available and used bits get cheaper.

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-10-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:30 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 71 Times in 42 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

dude put a fucking deposit on it so no one else can get it. write a contract, cash, pics of all the cash, id, and contract. lock it up.
tldave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-10-2019, 04:13 PM   #7
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Fighter of the Month 

He says it's mine as soon as the title shows up, and that he called his finance company and they say they sent it.

These people High Fived Junkie!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > General Streetfighter Discussion