JamesHambleton 87' VFR750 Liz Discussion - Page 5 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2018 Winter Buildoff > Discussion Threads

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > JamesHambleton 87' VFR750 Liz Discussion

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #41
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:47 PM
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: JamesHambleton 87' VFR750 Liz Discussion

@Cookie2000ad .... posting in a build thread ..oooooohhhh

those steel plates look heavy as fuck, standard ones are prob about 6 - 8mm aluminium
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived yantosh!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-20-2019, 10:02 AM   #42
Cookie2000ad
Persuasion Engineered
Cookie2000ad's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:47 PM
Flip Offs: 166
Flipped Off 59 Times in 27 Posts
Cookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CK
Default Medal Burnout Contest Winner Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post

those steel plates look heavy as fuck, standard ones are prob about 6 - 8mm aluminium

I remember trying to work out linkages and shock lengths on my SSSA, a real nightmare, it's really unintuitive on how changing one distance between holes on the plates will effect ride height / shock compression rate etc, almost the opposite of what you expect!

Sounds like you are hitting a few snags, so I don't want to add to your woes, but I don't think you should use those plates now, one of those bolt holes looks ovaled / like you had 2 goes at it. This part will be under constant movement, anything less than a perfectly round hole is going to take a beating and cause a weak spot.

I realise budgets are tight, but this is what I did: I used some OEM spates, I got some from VFRs and from triumphs, and saw what looked closest. I then had set points there, then I used a turnbuckle / rose joint (you might have to use 2 on your setup, replacing that OEM dogbone setup) and an adjustable length shock. MV's have them, but others too I'm sure, get trawling eBay. That way you can put the plates in and dial in ride height etc using just 2 variables. I know it's not the same as making your own plates and might be a little ££ but it might save a lot of time and effort.

Spacers I cut myself from alu tube I bought from eBay.
Cookie2000ad is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #43
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict
JamesHambleton's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 12
Flipped Off 14 Times in 11 Posts
JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie2000ad View Post
I remember trying to work out linkages and shock lengths on my SSSA, a real nightmare, it's really unintuitive on how changing one distance between holes on the plates will effect ride height / shock compression rate etc, almost the opposite of what you expect!

Sounds like you are hitting a few snags, so I don't want to add to your woes, but I don't think you should use those plates now, one of those bolt holes looks ovaled / like you had 2 goes at it. This part will be under constant movement, anything less than a perfectly round hole is going to take a beating and cause a weak spot.

I realise budgets are tight, but this is what I did: I used some OEM spates, I got some from VFRs and from triumphs, and saw what looked closest. I then had set points there, then I used a turnbuckle / rose joint (you might have to use 2 on your setup, replacing that OEM dogbone setup) and an adjustable length shock. MV's have them, but others too I'm sure, get trawling eBay. That way you can put the plates in and dial in ride height etc using just 2 variables. I know it's not the same as making your own plates and might be a little ££ but it might save a lot of time and effort.

Spacers I cut myself from alu tube I bought from eBay.
Yeah I won't be using them, just wanted to get an idea - you are correct my measurements making them were off ended up clamping them together to get a match as I originally should have done.

Ideally I wanted to get it to being a rolling chassis so I could complete the lockstops for the front end and at least have that end done.
She's currently up on the bench and desperately need it back to a rolling chassis, mainly for figuring out the stance but also with the possibility of moving house I need it as a rolling chassis!

I'll be giving Firefox Racing in Keithley a ring about a custom YSS rear shock and to see if they could suggest some triangle dimensions what they'd recommend and work from there. Unless you've got some spare triangles which I could give a charitable donation for

Quote:
That makes two of you buggers!!!!

Quote:
This is 8mm steel offcut
JamesHambleton is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived JamesHambleton!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-20-2019, 03:30 PM   #44
Cookie2000ad
Persuasion Engineered
Cookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CKCookie2000ad must be ROBBO or CK

I can check the garage see what I've got. I definitely have some that i think you can have that I can't be arsed to eBay. Can you wait until Saturday for me to get to town and check and get them in the post on Monday? If so, pm me your address. :Thumbs up:
Cookie2000ad is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-03-2019, 06:07 AM   #45
Cookie2000ad
Persuasion Engineered

Sorry for the long delay, I finally managed to get into town to get to my garage. I actually can only find one set of plates, i think from a Triumph 675:

They are 70mm along the two long sides, 65mm on the short. They are 4mm thick steel. Think they'll be any good for you?
This user High Fived Cookie2000ad!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-09-2019, 04:59 AM   #46
Cookie2000ad
Persuasion Engineered

Posted them yesterday buddy.
This user High Fived Cookie2000ad!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-25-2019, 08:38 PM   #47
Zweihammer
Misfit

Fighterer
Zweihammer's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:47 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Zweihammer is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Christ, James! You look like you’re building your bike in the room under the stairs so ze Germans won’t find you. That is proper tight. Glad to to see you make more progress.

And I bitch about not having enough space. Sheesh.

Cheers, Zweihammer

2019 Winter Build Off Bike

2019 Winter Build Off Chit Chat

Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary, glory is forever. E. Knievel
Zweihammer is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-26-2019, 06:36 AM   #48
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict
JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihammer View Post
Christ, James! You look like you’re building your bike in the room under the stairs so ze Germans won’t find you. That is proper tight. Glad to to see you make more progress.

And I bitch about not having enough space. Sheesh.

Cheers, Zweihammer
Well the last photo was taken from the doorway looking in, you can't even see the Bandit 400 which is right next to the hydraulic lift. I have maybe 1ft between the bandit and the lift and then maybe 1.5ft between the lift and the shed wall.
JamesHambleton is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-26-2019, 08:14 AM   #49
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

GENUINE SHED BUILT
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-31-2019, 05:18 AM   #50
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict

So I need to replace the o-ring on the bottom of the tank which honda specifies as 39.5x5.
So should equate to 39.5 x 49.5 x 5
How ever with postage for three of them comes to £22 which is too much for me.

I can find a 39 x 49 x 5, my question is should I order Viton or Nitrile.
The only difference between the two from what I can see is the suitability for petrol over 121C

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2018 Winter Buildoff > Discussion Threads