JamesHambleton 87' VFR750 Liz Discussion - Page 8 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > JamesHambleton 87' VFR750 Liz Discussion

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #71
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict
JamesHambleton's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:22 PM
Flip Offs: 12
Flipped Off 19 Times in 16 Posts
JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: JamesHambleton 87' VFR750 Liz

Very little I can do now myself really. So decided to test fit the rear cowling cutout worked for the rear light - works well. Which meant moving the bike off the lift, though about 9 months of shite from outside the shed door (took a couple of hours alone) just to get the bike out!!

Wait a minute...hang on..

Ahh there we go =D

Not too far behind my original mock up

I'm happy with the front end - so much so that the fork clamps are almost identical and the bars are about 25mm/1 inch lower than the stock. Over research on picking the length of forks paid off nicely.

So my current list is from the front;

Correct size wheel spacers - done 14.11.2018
swap the front wheel round so it's facing the correct direction- done 14.11.2018
custom fork stops maybe cnc bolt over the standard ones?
2nd set of 50mm fork clamps for the headlight
Clocks and custom bracket
Drill holes for switch gear(s)
De-rust tank and re-seal
Offset front sprocket + chain and sprocket kit
internal spacer for the swingarm
Rear shock linkage
Custom seat cover??
swap over the rear mastercylinder
measure a brake hose long enough for running through the swingarm
re-rust the rear axle + nut and buy socket to fit the damd thing

Test ride

Strip back to frame and rebuild
custom exhaust system
JamesHambleton is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived JamesHambleton!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-20-2018, 10:44 AM   #72
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict
JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!JamesHambleton is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

So urm... MOT passed yesterday.

Onto today...
Didn't get a before pic so look at yesterdays

Today after I started it started pissing down.

Progress must continue though!
oh bugga blind bearings with no race to get them out.

That was quickly resolved with my MIG welder.. probably shouldn't have been wearing my brand new Dainese jacket though and the front end as almost in... and bloody clutch switch. Slice.. bugga

Getting there!

Well that's not going to fit in the headlight! but not for today!

After some more fuckary of the top bearing coming out and trying to hold the front end steady enough to get it in. it's in and now for the lock stops.. oh bugga that's a rather large gap!

Was just giving up because of the rain then decided sod it. Basic electricals back on. Front tyre inflated, side light plugged in.

Short test ride and there is something affecting the steering, probably too much tension on the bearings, though i'm loving the stance!
JamesHambleton is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-05-2018, 06:21 AM   #73
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict

Got some metal plate from Steve and started work on my lockstops.

Found that I can use the old fairing mounting points for the stops. :winning:

Then suddenly I sneezed.

Ordered the spacer I need for the swingarm then the swingarm will be going in, then it's the headache of the shock linkage.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #74
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict

Attempted the molasses derusting method and one tank leaked all the fluid all over. One tank holding strong.
Onwards to Glasgow and back home..

One of the lock stops have being made as close as can be for now.

The bearing spacer I ordered came and pressed that into the SSS bearing, so now I can be on with fitting that.

Managed to get the standard swingarm out. 14mm and 12mm internal hex plugs WTF.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-15-2018, 03:23 PM   #75
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict

Bollocks! Bollocks!! Bollocks!!!

The swingarm I had machined to fit in my spare frame doesn't fit in my actual bike. Managed to trim down the spacers enough with the angle grinder to get it to fit but it's very tight.

As I were tightening one of the swingarm pins in place it suddenly felt a bit tight but thought it was just some dirt in the thread, one entire rotation later I decided to back it out and sure enough it's cross threaded.. piss and boloooockkkksss.
This user High Fived JamesHambleton!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #76
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

re tap the hole and get a new spacer , want I make spacer?
yantosh is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #77
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
re tap the hole and get a new spacer , want I make spacer?
Might take you up on that at some point. The angle grinder has at least got it close enough to mock up now.

Hopefully @370steve will be about to help me out with a m26 x1.5 tap

In Between Northern Ireland, Glasgow, London and christmas I've got bugger all done, oh and my rear camera is fubared so have to take photos with the front camera

so... Went to work on the swingarm some more tonight. Found that one of the arms hits on the back of the engine. So sorted.

Now I've got most of the movement I need, checked the other side and the rear set has being scraping on the swingarm so that now needs spacing out and the swingarm painting (was hoping to avoid that)

Went over to the other rear set and went to swap the mastercylinder over and..... the outlet for the reservoir is on the wrong side so now need to find another... oh and the bolt pitch was wrong!

Remounted the old rear shock and that seems to fit and clear the swingarm so looking at buying a new YSS rear shock for it.

My bike is currently sat on the mainstand so for the linkage triangles what angle should I have the swingarm set to?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-12-2019, 03:51 PM   #78
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict

Holy shet another f̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ post.. damd @Casper

Rear wheel in

Started completely overthinking about this shock linkage, about the bolt positions and it actually extending the shock instead of compressing it.
Just couldn't visualise it so drew it up went back to it and it functions as it should... enough to get the bike back to a rolling chassis at least. Need a rolling chassis for completing a few other bits.

Decided to messabout with the exhaust so the subframe, seat, rear cowling and seat lock frame thing

Hunting for an exhaust mouthing. Still not 100% decided on location yet but this indicator..

hmmmm.....

Held the tip up too much but you kinda get the idea. though I probably need to make a bracket to hang it off as I want it higher.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-14-2019, 07:16 PM   #79
bonehead
Fucking Retard
Fighter
Local Time: 06:22 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 5 Times in 3 Posts
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: JamesHambleton 87' VFR750 Liz Discussion

Re:the speedo,

The information you get from the "manufacturer" to put it mildly is vague as fuck, I couldn't even work out how to set the clock, no info on what sequence to push buttons, youtube to the rescue.

I have a couple of wiring diagrams if you want, blinkers etc are straight forward, don't bother measuring wheel circumference for setting your speed, use speed app on phone and then just adjust the wheel circumference.

Oh and the lens will eventually crack......
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-16-2019, 12:55 PM   #80
JamesHambleton
Wanna be racer

CF Addict

Found some indicators which I like so.. got some

Managed to blag an offcut for making the linkage triangles

Accidentally made a small fire

Snapped 2 drill bits, wore the angle grinder down to nothing and now can't find the tool to change the disc.
Got most of it done but gave up for the afternoon, hopefully I'll get the linkage finished done tomorrow.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes