Bearing Puller - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Tools

Streetfighter Tools Discussion about the tools you use to build and modify your streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Bearing Puller

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-07-2019, 07:12 AM   #1
GT550Build
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 05:55 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
GT550Build is a NOOB
Default Bearing Puller

Hope this is the relevant section. I'm trying to remove the wheel bearings on my GT550 (10mm inner diameter). I have a blind bearing puller, I've been using the bridge but the flared insert keeps pulling out, and i ran out of thread on the tightener. So I used the next size up which was a little too big, so I ground the edges off. This worked better, so much so that the feet on the bridge dug in half an inch into the wood it was resting on. But that finally pulled out too.

The spacer tube that goes through the wheel is flush with both bearings, so there's no lip to get behind with a screwdriver or anything.

Any suggestions? I've heard about people butchering the old bearing race but I'm afraid I'll damage the wheel
GT550Build is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-07-2019, 08:57 AM   #2
Larry02ACR
Fighter
Larry02ACR's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Bearing Puller

You could try heating the hub and putting ice on the bearing. May take a few cycles but it could break the corrosion bond the bearing race currently has with your hub.

Maybe a soak with some penetrating oil like PB Blaster.

Whatever you do, make sure you don't have the meat of your palm in the way of the slide weight and the stop when you go all He-Man ultra retard Hulk strength trying to slide hammer it out. It sucks.
Larry02ACR is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-07-2019, 09:05 AM   #3
GT550Build
NoObie
Noobie
GT550Build is a NOOB

Thanks I'll try that. Yes I've sprayed penetrating oil behind it. I don't use the slide hammer but I have already squeezed my skin in the flaring part, not enjoyable.

if the heat and ice doesn't work, I've seen the wet rag method (stuffing wet rag or paper towel in so it gets under the bearing). Has anyone tried that?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-07-2019, 12:38 PM   #4
sebwiers
lɐʇuǝɯᴉɹǝdxǝ

CF Pimp
sebwiers's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 21
Flipped Off 36 Times in 19 Posts
sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!sebwiers is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

I've seen it as the greasy rag method. Don't think it will work for you. It works when there's a sealed space behind the bearing (blind pocket) to push the rags into, creating pressure to push it out. Don't see how you'd make it work with a through bearing that has an axle spacer - where are you gonna stuff the rag to?

If worse came to worse and you have welding equipment, you can shrink the race a bit by running a bead on the inside. You'd have to blast the rest of the bearing away with a torch or grinder first, of course.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-works-159553/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6ZWAnuDAG4
sebwiers is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-08-2019, 05:04 AM   #5
GT550Build
NoObie
Noobie
GT550Build is a NOOB

Oh yes, didn't think about that! The weld method looks doable, I will give that a go.

Many thanks,
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:55 AM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

Weld sth accross the race then bash it out from that, job jobbed.

Benelli Tornado TRE Novecento 2006
EX: Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA 2002 Fighter
My homebrew blog thread thingy: Oddball Brewery
Mattson is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Mattson!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-10-2019, 01:33 PM   #7
tldave
CF Addict
tldave's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:55 PM
Flip Offs: 5
Flipped Off 71 Times in 42 Posts
tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tldave is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

heat the bearing, dump a shitload of pb or 50/50 tag/kerosene on it, a bunch, then take a piece of steel and bend the end so it's in an L shape, small enough to get inside the bearing, make sure the tip is sharpened. use a conical shaped piece of anything, stick it in the hole with it, and hammer the cone shaped thing into the opening, forcing the L shaped steel between the bearing and rim.pull it out and do the other side. then if it's still fighting put a couple of them in, tape them together, and hammer from the other side. worked for me in the past. but the other option is taking a very strong slightly bent piece of metal, put it through the rim, with the end against the inside end of the spacer, and just hit it hard as fuck sideways with a hammer, usually you can donk the spacer sideways.
tldave is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived tldave!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Tools