Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Single warning light for both indicators

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  robtharalson 
#1 ·
I've got an '80 cb750 I'm currently doing a bit of a minimalist build on. I've got a small panel of LED's mounted for neutral, oil, high beam and indicator warning lights, but in my head there as no issue using a single LED for both listed of indicators.

Now if I wire both feeds to the single LED, it effectively closes the two independent circuits and makes all my indicators light up together.

My question is whether there's something I can do (transistor maybe?) to make it so that I can have a single led to act as a warning light for both indicators while keeping them as independent circuits?

Thanks,

#2 ·
You’ll need to add a diode in line with the indicator leads attaching to the LED. A diode will keep the light from back feeding to the other side’s turnsignals.

Later, Doug

Reactions: shinyribs
#5 ·
Ayup, did this to mine with two SB545S schottky diodes, bit overkill for the job but doesn't really matter as they're like 50p a piece or sth. If they don't have those (5amp @45v) I bet you could get away with 524:s or the likes.

#10 ·
There are two common methods for driving a single load from two circuits:
1 -- Use a pair of diodes with the anodes to each of the two loads (left and right turn signal circuits), and the cathodes (banded ends) wired together and connected to the LED / ballast resistor, which is then grounded. No fancy Shottky diodes needed here ... the 0.7 volt drop through the 1N4001 diodes will have little effect on the brightness of the Blue LED. Left illustration.

2 -- A single 5 watt incandescent bulb wired between the two turn signal circuits. When either turn signal is activated one side of the filament is powered up, and the other side grounds through the filaments of the turn signal bulbs. This will not light the high wattage bulbs on the inactive side. Right illustration.

Rob

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.