Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

antigravity battery swelling

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  TPEHAK 
#1 ·
4 cell. worked fine. fit in a metal "oil" container. was not air tight.
it swelled. not even a month of use.
normal? not vented enough?
was $100 from lowbrocustoms

See less See more
#2 ·
That's not looking happy! They can catch fire so not sure if you even could return for inspection.

Check the charging voltage, maybe your bike is voer charging? Is the regulator somewhere without adequate cooling?

#4 ·
check the voltage with the bike running, overcharging them can do that

#10 ·
Had two of those exact batteries fail spectacularly. One was on a charger in my shop, came out to find a hole burned through the case. I was lucky nothing flammable was near by as I had pulled it from the bike to charge it. The second one was me being a dumb ass, I put it in my riding mower when it’s battery was dead and I was impatient to get the lawn mowed. I ran it for half an hour and when I lifted the seat to swap it back out it was very swollen, hot, and starting to smoke. Overcharged, I imagine from the crude system in the mower. I cut the wires and tossed it in a steel bucket in the driveway, it was still hot to the touch an hour later.
I guess I am not sophisticated enough for the fancy stuff.

#11 ·
I used Antigravity XPS SC1 (4 cell) battery in my 2009 Buell XB12Scg about a few weeks with no issues. Then I swapped to Antigravity 8 cell battery because of XPS 4 cell battery is too weak to crank 1200cc V-twin engine. I have no issues with Antigravity 8 cell battery yet after half year of using it. Buell rectifier maintains 14.4 volts voltage, I believe this is maximum voltage you should maintain with LiFePo4 battery. Antigravity mentioned about it on their website. I also have voltmeter gauge installed on the motorcycle to monitor voltage during riding because of I had issues with voltage regulator before.

Also small size Antigravity batteries do not have batteries management system, so they may fail earlier than normal size LiFePo4 batteries.

Follow the rules from Antigravity manual. Use appropriate 14.5V VR. Find the coldest spot for the battery on the motorcycle, do not expose the battery to the heat. Make sure your accesories do not drain battery and rectifier power is enought to feed the battery and accessories. Hook the battery to special LiFePo4 charger once per a few weeks to not let it discharge too low. Make sure your motorcycle does not have parasitic draws. Do not hook battery instantly after riding on charger when it is warm, let the battery cool down to room temperature before charging it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.