Uktech1's CBR6/9/12VFRR or Hondanstein's Monster - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2020 Winter Build-off > 2020 Winter Build-off Build Threads

2020 Winter Build-off Build Threads Only post here if you are the builder! Comments in the Discussion threads please.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Uktech1's CBR6/9/12VFRR or Hondanstein's Monster

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-08-2019, 06:52 PM   #1
Uktech1
Newbie but not new

Fighter
Uktech1's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:11 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to all
Default Uktech1's CBR6/9/12VFRR or Hondanstein's Monster

I've been collecting bits for this build over many years but have never had the time to get any further than just sticking it all on a shelf...until now. This winter I 'should' have time. Basically it'll be a CBR1100XX engine bored out to 1200cc in a CBR900RR frame with a CBR600RR front end and VFR swingarm plus a bunch of random stuff. Most of the parts have come from bikes I've parted out so don't owe me anything, the rest I've had for so long I can't remember what, if anything, they cost me. I plan to make one good engine out of the two I have and get the crank lightened and balanced while it's out. I'd love to turbo or supercharge it but that would be after everything else.

List o' parts
'95 CBR900RR frame

CBR1100XX engine - came from a Dwarf race car. Bored out to 1200 with forged pistons and dialled cams. Lower rear engine mount is broken. Original cost $500 but came with FCR's that I sold for $900.

Other CBR1100XX engine - stock but high miles. Parted out rest of bike. Bike cost $2000 but I made all that back...I think.

CBR1100XX FI throttle bodies, wiring, ecu, etc.

CBR600RR forks and brakes. Came from previous build.

Galfer wave rotors - free, need new buttons.

VFR800 swingarm - parted out rest of bike.

Custom triples made by a friend.

GPZ750 turbo bellypan.

Subframe of unknown origin or fitment.

Uktech1 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Uktech1!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-08-2019, 07:13 PM   #2
Uktech1
Newbie but not new

Fighter
Uktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to allUktech1 is a name known to all
Default Re: Uktech1's CBR6/9/12VFRR or Hondanstein's Monster

I've already made a start on mating the engine and frame together.

Rear engine mounts.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #3
Uktech1
Newbie but not new

Fighter

3 of the 4 engine to frame brackets are now done. The 4th will need to be redone from a single piece of steel instead of bits welded together. Paint or powdercoat will come later.

I needed to take a little off the cam cover to get some clearance to the frame. It got a little thin on the right side. I'll sort this later with weld or epoxy on the inside it there's room internally.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-22-2019, 05:55 PM   #4
Uktech1
Newbie but not new

Fighter

Next up was the VFR800 swingarm. I had to machine off about 12mm on the right side to get it to fit in but that only left enough room for 1 of the 2 bearings and the seal.

Ideally I could have just machined the recess deeper and fitted the original 2 bearings but my skills and equipment aren't anywhere near good enough, so I came up with a solution that I could manage. I found a bearing with the same ID but smaller OD. In a perfect world that OD would have been the same as the swingarm ID, but that would be too easy, so I made a sleeve/insert to hold them. It's a press fit into the arm but I'll put a spot of weld on it to ensure it stays in place.

To fill in the gap where the VFR motor would usually be I found and modded an old swingarm pivot sleeve.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-22-2019, 06:10 PM   #5
Uktech1
Newbie but not new

Fighter

Frame, engine and swingarm are now together...ish. I found a shock that might work in my collection (not sure what it's off) but the swingarm is sitting a bit flat. A longer shock won't work as it'll hit the lower link so that'll need to be modded but I'll wait till the front end is in and I can measure the geometry. There was also a good hour just cleaning caked on chain lube from the arm and frame.

Last week was mainly cleaning and tidying the workshop ready for the engine work and shopping on Ebay. There's wheels, fuel tank and pump on their way.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-28-2019, 09:12 PM   #6
Uktech1
Newbie but not new

Fighter

I was originally going to use the crankcases from the stock motor and transfer the bored out cylinders as the cases on the bored out one have the lower rear mount broken. That is until I realized the cylinders are part of the upper case, so now I'll just have to find a way to repair it. I'm also going to get the crank lightened and balanced by APE so I pulled the crank out ready to ship out. They did the crank for my GSXR750 track bike and shaved off 2.5lbs which made a huge difference. As this engine will now be more about sports than tourer losing a few pounds will be an advantage.

Wheels have arrived in the shape of a '13 CBR1000RR front wheel ($200) and a wheel from a Nissan Kicks for the rear ($170). The front will need some repair to some rash on the lip and I'll need a 1" spacer to mount the rear wheel. I also ordered a CBR11xx fuel tank but it doesn't look like it will work with the 900RR frame. I'll have to do a bit more research to find what others might have used. The 900RR tank won't fit the fuel pump but maybe I can use an external pump if the pressure is high enough or cut the flange out of the 11 tank and weld it into the 900's.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > 2020 Winter Build-off > 2020 Winter Build-off Build Threads