Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

TTR250 to zx9r rhs help

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  XxGRYMMxX 
#1 ·
Hello.Its not a streetfighter ,but i think many in here have the knowledge to help me out.
I have a 1994 Yamaha TTR250.I'm in the process of upgrading the headlight.I want to be able to switch it on and off.The ttr has no headlight switch,just a hi-lo switch.The stock headlight is 35w.I'm going to use 2 led lights (one Hi,one low beam),10w each.I will make a small harness with a relay to to have them both on when the hi beam is switched on.Now they act like h4,only low beam or only high beam.Now to the question.I bought a right handlebar switch from a zx9r.The switch for the headlights has 3 wires.In the off position all 3 are interconnected,in position (or side lights) lights only 2 and in headlight on none of them are interconnected.I don't know how i can make it work.This is a wiring diagram for a zx6r which is the same

It looks to me like i need to wire it through the hi-lo switch somehow?

Any help appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
Attach the blue striped (rightmost wire in the schematic at the H/L switch) wire from the switch to your battery (or fuse box where the headlight fuse is).

use 2 relays, one for each light.
attach the black wire (middle one at the switch in the schematic) to the low beam led. attach to low beam relay control, pos side

attach the red/yellow (left most wire in the schematic at the switch) to the high beam led. attach to high beam relay control, pos side

both lights can be grounded at the battery. control side of each relay should be grounded at battery

position 1 will be lights off
pos 2 will be low beams on
pos 3 will be hi and lo on at the same time.

edit: just saw the relay part. correction in green.

a very rough sketch of the circuit

how to wire the relays

Hope this helps at least a little bit.

#5 ·
the diagram I sketched out uses the zx6r switch so the original one wouldnt be used. if you give a few hours til lunch Ill look at the ttr250 diagram ands see if I can make another diagram that uses that one. then you can choose which one you want to use.

EDIT: looks like the ttr250 uses a switch that doesn't support the lights being off. it powers the low and high beams whenever the key is on. If you want to be able to turn the lights completely off then you'll need to use the zx6r switch and eliminate the ttr250 switch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.