Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

custom lithium Batteries

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  rex_saugerty 
#1 ·
I want to hide the battery under the bike on my new build and am looking for a company that makes odd ball sized/layout lithium batteries.... anyone know of a company?

something like this.....

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Do they make custom batteries?

There was a guy who went by the screen name Maviryk, real name Jim, who then started Maviryk Design. He was making custom battery packs using the correct spot welder and battery bars for the A123 batteries as well as quality wire and plugs. He made one for my SV650 many years ago. I sold the bike before installing the battery and then sold the battery before using it. It has been a long time since he has logged in here and just as long since I've seen him on any other forum. May be worth a try to PM him. A quick search didn't show a dedicated website for him.

Edit: The messages on his profile page say his mailbox is full.

Edit 2: This company used to also make custom packs and it looks like they may still. Same quality as above. http://www.motydesign.com/

#4 ·
Not that I know of, but one might call and see.
I mentioned them because they both make very small battery packs in various configurations. I prefer Shorai personally, but theirs are more traditionally shaped.

#5 ·
You might give a hobby shop or R/C catalog a shot. Most of them sell parts for assembling DIY battery packs from A123 cells. Easy for a guy like you with cnc mill and 3D printer access (make your own case)!

Personally, I'd call or email one of the boutique brands like MOTY, Antigravity, etc first to see if they'd build (and warranty) one for you. If they tell you to go stick it, then build your own.

#6 ·
in idea every place that holds spot welder can do it, if you have enough cells. i plan to make a pack for my bike from 18650 cells, but mostly because we have them at work, and i wont use it for cranking, so load is not an issue. in your case you need cells that can withstand CCA your engine will ask when starting

#8 ·
I would stay away from Ballistic.I had few of them,all failed very soon.They use fake a123 cells.I opened all of them after they failed, and found out myself.The best is earth batteries.But i dont think that they make custom batteries.But i have seen many people make their own.Its not too difficult.

#9 ·
I would just make it myself if I were you, and I plan on it for my build, plenty of youtube videos on it...

#14 ·
Just 3D print a battery pack enclosure to hold a handful of 18650 batteries.

#15 ·
so client brought in a battery he purchased from us a while ago, thats dead... like nothing on terminals

it's way pass his warranty but he was annoying enough to piss me off and i sent it towards company owner. anyway we decided to cut the battery open and look whats inside

here you can see that positive terminal wire has burned, probably because of bigger loads or the fact that HOG's like to rattle like crazy. nevermind the fact that we already changed one battery for unknown reasons at the moment.

anyway i soldered it back on, was a bit of a struggle. and it works, has voltage, has CCA even holds 200A load(barely though)

so the morale of the story... these batteries are made from lithium polimer packs. 4pcs and had ballancing unit inside it to keep cells ballanced. what i'm surprised there is no overload protection, not even fuse

#17 ·
so for the sake of experimenting i did some experimenting

managed to get 4 okey cells from this pack that had 2 completely dead. was too scared to cut them apart with angle grinder and we dont have poverfull soldering toold to get those tabs unsoldered so i cut them with hand saw like i could.

then i went on to spot weld them together. since the surfaces werent perfect it wasnt an easy task, after that i added some acid and solder on top for better connection.

this is the end result so far. tested with tester and pack emits 169A (EN)

i already sent matti a link, found new packs in china. i have few ballancer units at work from completely dead ones. might order them and do a better spot weld after. now i have to press on cable shoes and test it on bike... might even get a box 3d printed and use it for a while

Reactions: Junkie
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.