Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

No start headache

858 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  MotoWolf 
#1 ·
I recently got my 87 gpx750 going again, has been running great once I got the carbs squared away. Finally decide it's good to ride home from the shop I work at, starts great, runs and rides great, get home and shut it off. The next morning i get up to go to work, put the key in, set my choke, then when I hit the start button there's nothing but crickets. Try to push start it and I feel the transmission engage and the engine turns, but doesn't fire off. Next I try to jump the solenoid, starter engages, but the engine doesnt fire off. Tried bypassing clutch and kickstand switched, swapped starter solenoid, swapped igniter boxes, swapped fuse boxes, and all give the same results. Looking for any ideas

#2 ·
battery voltage too low/bad battery? main ground wire to battery disengaged/bad connection?

#4 ·
Ah ok I misunderstood that the solenoid fires but starter motor does not spin... Then it pretty much has to be sth in the security circuit. Stupid thing to say but make sure your engine kill switch isn't in the off setting :D

#7 ·
That was going to be my next step until I found that i must have a broke wire in the bundle coming off the ignition switch. I had the key turned on and the dash lights were on while I was reconnecting the clutch switch and all of a sudden the lights went off, then I moved the wires again and they flickered on and off, gonna dig up the wiring diagram then start testing those wires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.