Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

cbr 900 charging issue?

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  tldave 
#1 ·
Hello everyone just wanted to know that is something wrong with my charging system or is it me. Its a 95 Fireblade. At idle it has about 15-15,1 without lights. With lights on it has about 14,9-15. When I rev the bike it drops to 14,5-14,6. To me its a to much and I dont want to fry battery. Rectifier (DUCATI ENERGIA) is new cos the previous died. The stator is checked and everything seems ok. What do You think?

#2 ·
15V+ is high enough that I'd worry about damaging the battery.

14.5-14.6 is great.

RR is the only thing I can think of that would cause high voltage. Still, I'm surprised it does it at idle even with lights on.

https://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394141 has a bunch of good info on troubleshooting charging systems.

Reactions: tldave
#3 ·
#6 ·
Wow, I'm surprised that the manual says up to 15.5V is ok. But if it says that, I guess 15.0V is ok.

#11 ·
We just skimming threads here boys?

Rectifier (DUCATI ENERGIA) is new cos the previous died.

Reiterates it for you all... really? Nobody read it completely? Is the intensity and speed of the internet finally weighing on humanity?

(I've been away from a bunch of this stuff while working the past year or so in anticipation of my kid, and everyone seems so much more disconnected since I've been back... maybe it's just me having slowed down too?)

I have finned rectifier Ducati ENERGIA. No OEM.

Being an aficionado of sorts with the 900, I can say for sure that it is when the system is hitting 16v+ is when the issues arise, 14-15.5 is totally normal and regulator is doing it's job. I ran 3 stock before I went to a finned Suzuki GS500 regulator that solved all issues and could handle the spikes that the 900RR seems to have for no good reason at all.

Never tried the mosfet solution either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.