Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Identifying wires with multi-meter?

711 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  XxGRYMMxX 
#1 ·
Bike is a Kawasaki GT550 G6. One of the stupid things I did when tearing the bike down was to cut off the wires at the clocks. I have since thrown them away because they were rusty and unusable. I also gave away the left hand switchgear to help someone out on the forum.

So now I have a bunch of bare wires, only half of which are labelled (the others fell off at some point).

My question is, is there a way of identifying which wires do what using a multi-meter? I'm thinking I can look at the wiring diagram, which I have, but I still wouldn't know if the wire is live or not? Does anyone know any good YouTube vids (I've searched but they're all specific to other aspects of electrics)

thanks,

#2 ·
I would imagine the wiring diagram would indicate the position of each wire in the connector. look for a small number where the wire meets the connector in the diagram, one of the numbers should be the cavity position.

just a quick example from work today. if you look where each wire meets a component (use the transfer socket for the example), theres a small number and letter. those are the connector (letter) and the cavity of each wire (number)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.