Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Need A Gauge?

194K views 169 replies 75 participants last post by  makenzie71 
#1 ·
It’d be great if this could be made a sticky.
Streetfighters.com.au has some threads like this so I thought it’d be good if we had our own, yeah?
So here we go:

These are available from ebay seller ‘dan_dans_treasure_chest’: http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/dan_dans_treasure_chest/

First up is the SP4. Very basic, it features speedometer and odometer with indicator lights for turn signals, high beam and neutral. Cost is $72.69 + $22 p/h

Next we have the SP3. It has speedometer, odometer, tachometer, fuel gauge and clock and also has indicator lights for turn, high beam, neautral and low fuel. Cost is $116.31 + $28p/h

Next is the SP6 with speedometer, tachometer, odometer and indicator lights for turn, high beam, neutral and oil pressure. Cost is $102 + $22p/h

And then comes the SP2. Displaying speed, tachometer, odometer and fuel in a similar package to the acewell series, it also features indicators for turn, highbeam, neutral, oil/temp and warning (I guess sidestand could be hooked to it). Cost is $102 + $22p/h

Last we have the SP7. This unit looks very much like the Koso RX-1N. It features speedometer, tachometer, odometer, fuel or temperature gauge and clock along with indicator lights for turns, high beam and neutral (displayed with P). Cost is $102 + $22p/h.

This unit is also available from another seller on ebay, waimaozhijia10 for the most modest sum of $50 + $15p/h. http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/waimaozhijia10/

See less See more
#59 ·
If $200 or so isn't in the cards for a speedo, check out Sigma Bicycle Computers.

I have a Sigma BC509 on my zx9. It fits onto 7/8" bars, and all you use is 2 rare earth magnets to trip the sensor. They apparently are accurate to 199 mph and can easily be calibrated for a motorcycle front wheel

#61 ·
Got my danmoto gauge installed!
Here is a short video of it working. The only thing I really have yet to figure out is how to get the tachometer more accurate. As you will be able to tell in the video it is much higher than it should be. Anyone know of another safe way to pull a signal off one of the coils?

also do yourself a favor and get one of these female and male of course.

#65 ·
Got my danmoto gauge installed!
Here is a short video of it working. The only thing I really have yet to figure out is how to get the tachometer more accurate. As you will be able to tell in the video it is much higher than it should be. Anyone know of another safe way to pull a signal off one of the coils?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fohXkB9619k
also do yourself a favor and get one of these female and male of course.
Dude, rep for posting a vid.
As for the tach, how do you have it wired now? Usually the tach wire goes to the -ve side of the coil. Are there any settings to change for the tach? What do the intructions say?

GRR trying to wire up my one, maybe im doing something wrong, the Dan moto instructions are pretty rubbish, it says press the kmh/mph button and then turn on and set wheel size....
I cant see any numbers... should there at least be a '00 kmph' or a '00000odo' ???
Everything else is going, all idiot lights and backlight are on, hall sensor is mounted and wired up.
I wouldn't have a clue bud. Hopefully someone sees this and lets you know....

#62 ·
Hey, that looks good! Thanks for the video!!! Not sure about the coil thing but I am sure you will get it figured out.

#63 ·
lj516

I was wondering if you could put some pictures up of how you mounted it, and what you had to do to hook up the speedo...

I'm currently bidding on a dakota digital jobber, but if I don't get it, the second choice is this one. I've been emailing with Danmoto, but when it came to pictures, I got no reply.

Also, have you tested it much since you installed it? I know it has only been a few days, but what the hell, I woulda tested the snot out of it already.

Thanks for the post on it, I've been curious about it and half the battle is won already!

#64 ·
GRR trying to wire up my one, maybe im doing something wrong, the Dan moto instructions are pretty rubbish, it says press the kmh/mph button and then turn on and set wheel size....
I cant see any numbers... should there at least be a '00 kmph' or a '00000odo' ???
Everything else is going, all idiot lights and backlight are on, hall sensor is mounted and wired up.

#66 ·
Hey guys Ill post up some pictures SOON! And it has been working flawlessly! The only problem I am having is getting it mounted in the right spot. The view angle is pretty specific, meaning if it is not pointed right at your face then it is pretty hard to see. I'll be messing with the tach here in the next few days when I get done studying for a Calc III test on friday. Oh and to set the diameter for the wheel press and HOLD both buttons then turn the ignition on while holding them. This works for the 180 at least.

#67 ·
nemo.

what one did you get. on mine i can not set the wheel size. i have to set the magnet at 9cm from the centre of the 17" wheel.

pretty fucking shit if you think about it. even a shitty bicycle speedo has a wheel size function!!.

#69 ·

Basic as it gets, m/km up to 99, odo, and a couple lights..
Mine could set the wheel size, but yeah had to hold in both buttons and then turn on keeping them held. it seems to work allright, still on suspended licence for another 2 months so cant road test it, but i can spin the wheel up to 40km!!:party-smiley:

#73 ·
Here is my gauges. Didnt get it started to check the tachometer but everything else looks and works great.

#74 ·
Edit to above:

No speedometer signal. Even taped the magnet to a drill and checked it that way for something and nothing. Seems it should be simple math, run a magnet past the pick up and get a signal. Do that repeatedly and you have the speed (in this case). Email to danmoto sent about this, so far not very pleased.

#77 ·
Yes just got it figured out.

Got an email from Dan Dan saying that they did some research on this problem and fouond that the sensor was wired incorrectly inside the sensor. Asked for the right color coded wireing and bam just like that I got speed numbers using the drill motor. (put .5 miles on the odometer doing it)

Hooked up the sensor to the place in my brake caliper and bam again got speed numbers when turning the wheel by hand. I am happy with the gauge and set up now. Looks good and works good I will be using my phone GPS to fine tune the speedometer so that should be good aswell.

Overall: Bit of a hassle with the work but the bike isnt driveable at the moment so I was able to be patient about it. Maybe not so if I was looking for plug and play. But all good now. I say for the cost... run with scissors.

#79 ·
Finally turned on my little Danmoto doohicky gauge.
If anyone gets one, dont even bother looking at their wiring diagram. It doesnt work, eveything is different colours to what the sheet says.
It works now though, anyhow.
All numbers on, showing, working, i managed to get to 63mph hand spinning the wheel on the stand!!! :party-smiley:
So either it works and i can spin my wheel really fast by hand, or it works but is way off...
either way, im happy :)

#82 ·
Mine adjusts to tire size in mm. I will be using a gps to get my speed and calibrate speedometer that way.

#83 ·
Yeh sorry. Ok
Tire size was easy once the thing actually lit up. Just hold down the button before you turn it on and then it comes up with inches for mine, press the button until i got to 17. But as Stainr said, best to get it calibrated too.
Most of the wiring was pretty easy once i threw out the 'wiring diagram'. and started using a multimeter
Light blue and orange - indicators
dark blue - high beam light
green - neutral light
separate Red, Yellow, Green come off the sender/magnet so dont worry about them
Brown was for the backlight,
black was for power+
dark green was power-
Dark green is easy then, straight earth that one.
my old connecter and wiring diagram has separate wires for everthing
but so does the new gauge, but the new gauge wont work like that... fun ay.
i ended up connecting the brown and black to the original positive wire on my bike and it goes on now..
it seems simple enough now.

#84 ·
That is messed up wiring. Funny that they are danmoto gauges and completely wired different. The wires for the 180 gauges weren't even that bad. Lol

#92 ·
I think the overall concensus is that they are cheaper than the rest but they are functional. Harder to wire up by the sounds of it too...
I think really they have to get some miles on them before a proper review could be written. I mean the things could fail after 1000miles (touch wood)....

Reactions: Stainr
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.