Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

Need A Gauge?

194K views 169 replies 75 participants last post by  makenzie71 
#1 ·
It’d be great if this could be made a sticky.
Streetfighters.com.au has some threads like this so I thought it’d be good if we had our own, yeah?
So here we go:

These are available from ebay seller ‘dan_dans_treasure_chest’: http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/dan_dans_treasure_chest/

First up is the SP4. Very basic, it features speedometer and odometer with indicator lights for turn signals, high beam and neutral. Cost is $72.69 + $22 p/h

Next we have the SP3. It has speedometer, odometer, tachometer, fuel gauge and clock and also has indicator lights for turn, high beam, neautral and low fuel. Cost is $116.31 + $28p/h

Next is the SP6 with speedometer, tachometer, odometer and indicator lights for turn, high beam, neutral and oil pressure. Cost is $102 + $22p/h

And then comes the SP2. Displaying speed, tachometer, odometer and fuel in a similar package to the acewell series, it also features indicators for turn, highbeam, neutral, oil/temp and warning (I guess sidestand could be hooked to it). Cost is $102 + $22p/h

Last we have the SP7. This unit looks very much like the Koso RX-1N. It features speedometer, tachometer, odometer, fuel or temperature gauge and clock along with indicator lights for turns, high beam and neutral (displayed with P). Cost is $102 + $22p/h.

This unit is also available from another seller on ebay, waimaozhijia10 for the most modest sum of $50 + $15p/h. http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/waimaozhijia10/

See less See more
#124 ·
What I would suggest is download the service manual for your bike that has the full wiring diagram, and cross reference that with the wiring diagram that comes with the gauges. The only "difficult" part is picking up your RPM signal wire, and even that's not too bad. With the service manual and the diagram that comes with the gauges, you should be good to go!

#131 ·
I've been reading through this thread with interest and checking out various guages on offer. This being my first project I have a couple of questions...
The project is a '97 RF900RR
Are there parameters to the type of guage set up I can install on my bike?
Is it simply a case of plug it in and away you go?
How do you set the original mileage on a new set of gauges?
Can I just plug in the speedo cable to a new guage?
Fabricating brackets and surround is not an issue, I'm interested in the technical aspects to installation - what questions do I need to ask??

#134 ·
I have the koso dual sport gauge on my drz.

the tach broke after about 2k miles(while i was offroad) but it was so tiny that you really couldnt see it anyways. Only really used it for idle setting. When it broke the tach and speed both froze. When i shut the bike off and on the speedo worked but the tach hasnt worked since.

I put the koso gp tach on my gpz. I really like the koso quality.

I have a trail tech vaypor on my wifes tw200 and i dont really like it. The gauge had 3 "modes" and none of them were what i wanted to see as far as speedo, tach, trip, odo etc. I also didnt like that you needed the add on surround for indicators etc.

Some things to mention, the vaypor uses the opposite pole magnet as the koso stuff. Also when they look for N one uses +12v the other looks for ground. Its not a huge deal but on my drz with the koso gauge my N indicator light was opposite so (when i ran it) i had to run an auto relay and let the 12v+ N switch flip the relay so I could use the NO portion as NC and ground the koso. Like i said not a huge issue but a pain.

Some other options. You guys can get a tinytach which is about $50. Display is numeric and tiny BUT it records the highest rpms reached and number or cycles. Good for mx bikes/sumos on the track to help with gearing.

Another one i ran into the other day was at Just Bandits. Thought it was pretty tidy.

http://www.justbandits.com/shop/default.asp?cookiecheck=yes&

#142 ·
Does anybody running the vaypor gauge have a good front wheel diameter in mm's they are using that is pretty accurate? Just wanted to compare numbers and results.

#143 ·
Its been awhile since I set mine up so the details are a bit fuzzy. Also, I have a 100/90-19 front tire which is probably real tall compared to yours (assuming you're on a modern sport bike) . I think my number ended up around 2500. I actually think it is 2470 but not positive.

Anyway, what I did was get one of the handle bar mounts they sell for putting a GPS on a bicycle. Got mi.e from bestbuy for $20. I used a speedo app on my phone to calibrate mine. Just keep adjusting the setting on the vapor until it matches the GPS speedo app and you should be good. Still trying to get the tach to read right on mine though. Real pita.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#144 ·
Ya I am running a 120/70 front tire on my Bandit. As for the handle bar mount how did you stow the wires out of sight. I thought about a bar mount but the octopus of wires showing was discouraging to me, especially since I am using the indicator dash as well.

#150 ·
HI Guys
see if any of you can help

got one of these

[

someone help me with this formula

hayabusa 2004
front sprocket 17 rear 40
wheel circumferance 198cm
4 pulses

[URL=http://s15.photobucket.com/user/spart666/media/moto_zps4679ef63.jpg.html]

this what we came up with couldent and dont understand why they use impw 80 when it should be 4 so assuming they are doing that as an example

b/r = 17/40 = 0.425
4 x U = 4 x 198 = 792/b = 792/17 = 46.6
46.6/0.425 = 19.8

problem with this is
ok im assuming we enter 4 for impw and we are entering 19.8 cm for wheel circumferance ?
impw lets me input 1 to 99 so 4 for aint a problem
circ lets me enter 101 to 350 so i cant enter 19.8 and before you say try 20 cant do that either in the motogadget web site it says that the circ has to entered in CM so 101cm is the starting point i think im just thick

here are the instructions

http://motogadget.com/media/downloads/manual/msl_manual_en_1.13.pdf

#151 ·
Fantastic thread, it really does need to be a sticky though as it took me some time to find it :)

Just noticed - It already is a sticky in the Electrical section LOL Well, I am a noob and I found it the hard way by looking for posts on gauges in the beginners section. I'm not very savvy when it comes to forums

Repped the author of the post too :)

Reactions: Stainr
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.