Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

How about a DIY RFID ignition setup?

128K views 189 replies 48 participants last post by  kwakazuki 
#1 ·
I know people on here have set it up but for some of us electrically retarded people like me simple things can turn into nightmares. If any of you electrical gurus would like to throw up how you set it up I would be forever thankful.

#2 ·
get a dei solid state relay (SSR)
get a 12v rfid unit from ebay
remove your ignition cylinder and wire it through the SSR

if your bike doesn't have an ignition/accessories relay you can get a high amperage relay and wire your ignition through the relay, and the relay to the SSR

if you read up on how a relay works you'll be able to figure it out. People tend to overcomplicate electrical systems and get freaked out because they can't see what's happening.

Reactions: JoeGibs
#4 ·
Taiden is right but the problem with a write up is that the wiring to replace the ignition is specific for every bike depending on what type of anti theft and how the ignition is wired in the first place. None are hard to do but each one is different.

#3 ·
the DEI latching relay is the "611T"

also, that's the down and dirty way to do it. there are a million ways to skin a cat though.

#6 ·
ground wires go to ground
12v wires go to 12v

I probably sound like a cheeky bastard, but I'm dead serious.
I'm still dead serious when I say people make electricity more complicated than it needs to be.

99% of electronics you buy have a data sheet that tells you what every wire does.
The only electrical items I have ever bought that didn't have data sheets or pinouts was solder, resistors, and wire.

Oh yeah, and heat shrink and electrical tape.

#8 ·
If I'm not mistaken me and Taiden have a pretty good thread already on this. Like he said, this shit is easy...it's the same as connect the dots. Hardest thing about it is making sure it looks clean and mounting it somewhere out of the way.

#11 ·
#12 ·
I have read that thread a million times. It really doesn't say anything different than this thread does regarding installation. I see that people keep saying they are going to make a write up but still no write up.
I bought the transponder and the 611T this morning so we will see how difficult it is for someone with my limited knowledge. Should be exciting!

#13 ·
That's the way to do it. Give it a shot and if you get stuck ask questions and I'll do what I can to help. If you were local I'd make you a sandwich.

#15 ·
Yeah, if you paypal me $10 I'll send you a killer sandwich.

Reactions: Fizzer_Fighter
#16 ·
Im going to second a post from above. Im not a electrical guy, but I figured it out. Just buy the stuff and it will make sense when its in front of you. You need the RFID box and to wire up a latching relay(or use a solid state latching relay). I got all my stuff off ebay and spent less than 50 bucks for everything. I still have 3 RFID boxes left over. Ill use one on my CB750 project.

#18 ·
Im planning on doing this soon,
I have to ask thought 3" of range between receiver and the key fob doesnt seem like much.
What I was hoping was mounting the receiver under the seat, and keeping the keyfob in my wallet.
And to be honest a full how to along with pics would be a big help here.
While electronics are in fact relatively stupid (its all ment to transfer energey, or stop the flow of enegery essentially) I have not delved into RFID ANYTHING.

So I nominate BLUEJEWBALLS to complete the how to, with pics. He's apparently got the hardware coming, so it would be perfect for him to do it.
Please

#19 ·
3" is enough if you use a latching relay. That's the key to using the rfid fob as a swipe. If you are planning on doing the system without a latching relay you have to leave the fob within 3"...and that sucks.

#21 ·
Typical RFID setups don't work like "you sit on your bike and it turns on." Like DrAkward said you have to use it as a swipe, which is why you need a latching relay.

#23 ·
Did you end up using a solid state latching relay or electromagnetic?

#25 ·
hey whatever works, I just dont wanna deal with my ghettoe relocated ignition and key BS anymore.
And I can wait a bit, its to fucking cold to even THINK of riding right now. Fuck its like 8 degrees outside right now, with a strong and steady breeze coming from the north at like 5-10mph.
Just as long as your right up is done before like late febuary Ill be fine, lol.

#27 ·
Yep, you could easily make a kill "button" though (momentary) to send 12v to the latching relay.

#35 ·
No, I mean sending 12v from the switched side of the latching relay. That way you don't need a large current rated switch.

IE, it will only have access to 12v if the relay has already been latched via the RFID unit. Once you hit the momentary switch it will use the 12v switched signal from the latching relay to "trigger" it to unlatch. At which point the momentary switch will be 'dead' because the relay is no longer latched.

#36 ·
or a double relay and run the first one in a circle so it stays switched so that the ignition stays on when the fob is moved away from the reader.

I think its great that these systems sell for $300 but you can build one for $30

heres a diagram of what Im talking about as far as "double relay" aka latching relay

this relay is available at radio shack,,,the part number is 275-206 cost is about $10 for the relay
Get a diode while you are at it..they are about $1 you would need say a 50V-1A Diode

#37 ·
are you guys making this way to hard or am i missing something/making it to easy.

ok

swipe
activate windings in relay
close main circut
loop wire then feeds the winding and holds the circut closed.

bike goes.

flick kill switch.
deactivate windingsin relay.
loop wire loses feed
opens main circut

bike stops.

if you want to turn the bike on again, reset the kill switch, swipe and off you go.

no special relays no diodes.

simple and effective

am i wrong, to simple, have i forgotten something

im going to install these in my gloves.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380222728444&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

the switches are not in the correct position. will redraw and repost in a moment

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.