made me a bike trailer! - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Anything to do with welding, bending and fabricating things from metal goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > made me a bike trailer!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
venturesomerite
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)

CF Addict
venturesomerite's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:42 PM
Flip Offs: 6
Flipped Off 4 Times in 3 Posts
venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default made me a bike trailer!

Haven't been working on the bike lately, but I did make a bike trailer. The bed on my F250 with a 350 suspension is just a real PITA to get a bike on, for the kat you have to take the belly pan and exhaust off not to scrape even with 10' ramps.

So I modified a jet ski trailer I had around for years. It's a good starting point, has 5 lug instead of 4 lug wheel, bearing buddies and is galvanized so rust will not be a problem.

If you wanted a longer trailer, look for a three person jetski trailer, they are longer than a double or single ski trailer (my buddy's is longer than this one by about 2 feet) For reference, this is a trailer for a two person mid 90's seadoo.

Overall it took a day to make, including fab, assembly, disassembly, paint and reassembly. The wheel chock is really nice, if you put the bike up on it, you can stick it in there by yourself, and it will hold the bike just fine while you strap it down. The winch is long enough to reach the end of the ramp to say, pull a bike with a flat tire or something up. (obviously this would need two people)

The ramps are locked with a hole I drilled into each one, and a padlock the passes through an eye loop I welded to the frame that you can't see in the pictures. Tool box is for straps and a jack, etc. Locks with a pad locks and two eye loops, and is bolted to a frame that is welded to the frame.

The bedliner looks like crap because, well it is. It was old and on it's way out, but I wasn't about to shell out a $100 for a new can, so that's why it's weird and lumpy looking. Just adds more grip is you ask me! Paint and some of that grip tape for stairs would certainly get the job done too.

In the last picture you can see the trailer guides, as my truck is to big to see this thing unloaded. Those are two parts of one of those pop up sign holders places use in their lobby. I just put them between the fender and the mount and tightened the bolts. You can see them in the "in" position, for storage, because I store it next to the garage. You can just pull them "out" there they stick out further to the sides so you can see the damn thing in the mirrors when backing up unloaded.

I wanted to have as little additional money as I could in it, so it may not be show room nice, but in additional things I've bought for it, I have a total of about $70 invested.

Other's budgets may be different depending on what you have on hand, and what you can scrounge up, but all in all I think someone could easily make something like this for under $400.

The mounts for the channel (made by welding angle iron together) is mounted with repurposed bunk mounts, and big carriage bolts from a deck job. The ramp mounts, spare mounts and tool box mount are all made from misc. pieces from my scrap metal bucket.

I feel I should add also that the same thing could easily be accomplished with say a 2"x12" piece of wood down the center instead. Obviously it wouldn't be as strong, but with a wheel chock should be just as functional. I've seen people make bike trailers with 3/4" plywood before too, but I wouldn't trust it. I sure as hell wouldn't drive behind it. If you do decide to use wood, be sure to use pressure treated wood, and spring a few extra bucks and seal it with deck sealer so you don't have to worry about it for years to come. The bunk mounts that come with the trailer could be just as easily adapted for wood instead. You could also use a piece of C channel (I just had the angle, and wanted it to be wide, to accomodate a wide rear tire because I move lots of different bikes) I also think you could probably use one of those long alluminum HF ramps for the center as well, provided you anchor it right.

The basic idea is repurpose everything you can, use what you can find.

Parts/costs:

trailer- already had - FREE
ramps - already had laying around, not my main set so they were perfect -FREE
bed liner - left over from a job - FREE
angle iron - sitting in my bones yard, from an ice rink construction site - FREE
wheel chock - the better wheel chock from HF, on sale for $35 then an additional 20% off coupon! - $28
Winch - was on jetskit trailer already - FREE
D rings and other tie down points - had them all laying around, the cheapie packs from Home Depot, two of the tie downs are actually Cycom mounts from a Virago - FREE The bike that donated them is the one you see as the test subject on the trailer
Paint - Rustoleum from Home Depot - $4
Spare Tire - about $50 from HF then take another 20% off for a coupon - $40
Tool box - Was given to me years ago from someone I did a job for - FREE
Trailer Guides - Part of a fold out sign that businesses use in lobbies - FREE

This is not my trailer (I'm terrible at before pictures!) but shows basically what I started with. These can be found for under $200 on Craigslist all the time.

This is the mock up:

And this is everything painted and coated in bedliner:

Hopefully this just shows someone looking for ideas how easy it is to make something usefully if you just have a little resourcefulness and ingenuity.

Brian

~~~Brian

*** Sorry, had all my pics hosted on photobucket and they turned out to be a greedy cunt. Working on getting them all hosted elsewhere, and slowly fixing 5 billion pictures.

Uglier Better - 1996 Suzuki Katana 600 that wants to be a Gixxer

Coffee Pot - 1983 Yamaha Virago 920 - A cafe build on the super duper cheap.
venturesomerite is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
John Prophet
That guy

CF Pimp
John Prophet's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 64
Flipped Off 133 Times in 39 Posts
John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!John Prophet is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: made me a bike trailer!

Good one!

2011 Build off entry thread for Revelation
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=39157

2011 Build off discussion thread for Revelation
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...ad.php?t=39156

Revelation's normal build thread
http://www.customfighters.com/forums...t=36848&page=5
John Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
Redhead
Lifes too short
Fighter In Training
Redhead's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Redhead is making some friendsRedhead is making some friendsRedhead is making some friendsRedhead is making some friendsRedhead is making some friends

Looks great man. Well done
Redhead is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
piester
Bitches love Fighters

piester's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:42 PM
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 19 Times in 15 Posts
piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!piester is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

high fucking 5 man. looks killer, and quite functional

if at least one motorcycle wasnt irreparably harmed in the creation of the bike, its not a streetfighter!

build threads
1998 GSXR 7/10 SRAD clicky
08 fireblade
clicky
who wants to be my friend? facebook
piester is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
FIGHTER7R
(SFOC) Built Not Bought
Senior Fighterer
FIGHTER7R's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:42 AM
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 11 Times in 6 Posts
FIGHTER7R is a name known to allFIGHTER7R is a name known to allFIGHTER7R is a name known to allFIGHTER7R is a name known to allFIGHTER7R is a name known to allFIGHTER7R is a name known to allFIGHTER7R is a name known to allFIGHTER7R is a name known to allFIGHTER7R is a name known to allFIGHTER7R is a name known to allFIGHTER7R is a name known to all

dam good idea

MikeGyver
Post Whore Marathon...
"No challenge. You have to be internally motivated"
FIGHTER7R is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
mvrk10256
GURU
Fighterer
Flip Offs: 4
Flipped Off 5 Times in 4 Posts
mvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud ofmvrk10256 has much to be proud of

very nice.

-Maksim

Resident EE and BMW Cage expert.
mvrk10256 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
endo
The Soft Serve Enigma
endo's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:42 PM
Flip Offs: 73
Flipped Off 96 Times in 82 Posts
endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!endo is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 2007 Streetfighter Buildoff - Most Complete Theme 

Well done, looks great!

Project Redefyned 7/11

If I have to explain, you won't understand.
RIP Michele "MadMadame" Monroe, 30Apr80-24Mar12
RIP Gavin "Greencheezeeta" Butts, 5Oct83-8Sep09
endo is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
Fight Everything
Rollin hard in Wiscompton

CF Pimp
Fight Everything's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 55
Flipped Off 45 Times in 35 Posts
Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Next step is to get some nice LED taillights, get a suspension drop, some nice wheels, and a HELLAFLUSH decal
Fight Everything is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
GDogg007
VS ASS KISS

GDogg007's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 72
Flipped Off 58 Times in 33 Posts
GDogg007 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GDogg007 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GDogg007 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GDogg007 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GDogg007 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GDogg007 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GDogg007 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GDogg007 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GDogg007 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GDogg007 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GDogg007 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

I made this a sticky as it is very deserving. If I can figure out what section this would fall under I would move it to a better section. But for now General works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK 187 View Post
my wife loves me and my kids think i'm a god and that's all that matters
My Build. http://www.customfighters.com/forums...light=GDogg007
GDogg007 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
venturesomerite
Oiler Boilereerer...er(s)

CF Addict
venturesomerite's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 6
Flipped Off 4 Times in 3 Posts
venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!venturesomerite is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDogg007 View Post
I made this a sticky as it is very deserving. If I can figure out what section this would fall under I would move it to a better section. But for now General works.
Coolio!~ Thanks!

~~~Brian

*** Sorry, had all my pics hosted on photobucket and they turned out to be a greedy cunt. Working on getting them all hosted elsewhere, and slowly fixing 5 billion pictures.

Uglier Better - 1996 Suzuki Katana 600 that wants to be a Gixxer

Coffee Pot - 1983 Yamaha Virago 920 - A cafe build on the super duper cheap.
venturesomerite is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Heavy Metal