Hydroforming - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter News & Info > Streetfighter Info

Streetfighter Info Informative links, Buyer / Seller Feedback, etc.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Hydroforming

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
Scrapyard
Build It Ride It Live It
Scrapyard's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:32 AM
Flip Offs: 6
Flipped Off 20 Times in 14 Posts
Scrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud of
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Fighter of the Month 
Default Hydroforming

Anyone have any info about this process. Some time ago I saw some DIY info on hydroforming exhaust pipes and tubes. Can't seem to dig it up now. I did see a vid that some guy made an expansion pipe for his 2 stroke. Looked like he welded it all up and then hooked up a pressure washer to expand a metal.

Woundering what kind of presure and fittings could be used to accomplish this.
Scrapyard is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-21-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
Truckinduc
I been fightin' gravity

Truckinduc's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:32 AM
Flipped Off 21 Times in 18 Posts
Truckinduc has a reputation beyond reputeTruckinduc has a reputation beyond reputeTruckinduc has a reputation beyond reputeTruckinduc has a reputation beyond reputeTruckinduc has a reputation beyond reputeTruckinduc has a reputation beyond reputeTruckinduc has a reputation beyond reputeTruckinduc has a reputation beyond reputeTruckinduc has a reputation beyond reputeTruckinduc has a reputation beyond reputeTruckinduc has a reputation beyond repute
Winter Buildoff Winner Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default Re: Hydroforming

oh oh oh pick me!!!!

Ive helped a good friend Hydroform a megaphone for his 450 ducati.

The megaphone wraps around the the rear shock, Its trick as hell.

Sorry though this was about 4 years ago so i cant remember the specifics.

Ill see dude in a few days so ill ask him for you.
Truckinduc is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
Scrapyard
Build It Ride It Live It
Scrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud ofScrapyard has much to be proud of

Hell yeah, find out what you can. I want to make some megs myself.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-21-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
Truckinduc
I been fightin' gravity

Truckinduc's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flipped Off 21 Times in 18 Posts
Truckinduc has a reputation beyond reputeTruckinduc has a reputation beyond reputeTruckinduc has a reputation beyond reputeTruckinduc has a reputation beyond reputeTruckinduc has a reputation beyond reputeTruckinduc has a reputation beyond reputeTruckinduc has a reputation beyond reputeTruckinduc has a reputation beyond reputeTruckinduc has a reputation beyond reputeTruckinduc has a reputation beyond reputeTruckinduc has a reputation beyond repute
Winter Buildoff Winner Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Here is a shitty picture. The shroud kinda covers it up. Ill take better pics soon.

Truckinduc is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Truckinduc!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-21-2009, 11:12 PM   #5
Scrapyard
Build It Ride It Live It

That looks pretty cool. I like the diffusers in the end.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-21-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
Greencheezeeta
Cheesus loves you

CF Pimp
Greencheezeeta's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 42
Flipped Off 3 Times in 2 Posts
Greencheezeeta is a splendid one to beholdGreencheezeeta is a splendid one to beholdGreencheezeeta is a splendid one to beholdGreencheezeeta is a splendid one to beholdGreencheezeeta is a splendid one to beholdGreencheezeeta is a splendid one to beholdGreencheezeeta is a splendid one to beholdGreencheezeeta is a splendid one to beholdGreencheezeeta is a splendid one to beholdGreencheezeeta is a splendid one to beholdGreencheezeeta is a splendid one to behold
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month 
Talking Re: Hydroforming

I'd like to know a little more about this also.

Greencheezeeta is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-22-2009, 01:19 AM   #7
bwesky
thrill seeker
Fighter
bwesky's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
bwesky is a NOOB

i just did a brief search on youtube, didnt really find much, but machines doing it, or the final prduct. i would like to know more, not that i plan on persuing it, just to have a basic knowledge of what it is and how to do it... info needed!

To Each His Own

bwesky is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-22-2009, 02:19 AM   #8
Scrapyard
Build It Ride It Live It

Seems like a lot of the big production stuff is high pressure die formed. They crimp the material in a die and then fill it with 5000-10000psi of water pressure. Depending on the thickness and size of material.

I've seen some DIY stuff with thin gauge steel that is welded tight and then pumped into shape with a pressure washer. Pretty cool.

I'd like to find out what gauge material and what amount of pressure is needed to acomplish this.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-22-2009, 06:44 AM   #9
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 57 Times in 47 Posts
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

I think what you guys are talking about is different from what my company does. One of the ways we form parts is with a large hydroform press,

What happens is, a male die is placed on the loading tray with a piece of material on it, then the tray slides into the machine where hydraulic oil is pressurized and pushes a large rubber bladder over the die, effectively forming the sheetmetal over the die. Most of the time these parts have to be "over-formed" to account for material springback and usually extra time is taken by the operators to check and straighten the parts to match a form tool.
SEBSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-22-2009, 07:21 AM   #10
Newman
Fighterer
Newman's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:32 PM
Flip Offs: 2
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Newman is making some friendsNewman is making some friendsNewman is making some friendsNewman is making some friendsNewman is making some friends

I haven't read the whole article but it covers the process.

http://www.eurospares.com/frame8.htm
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Newman!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter News & Info > Streetfighter Info