• Ducati Monster

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Buell XB12s

Votes: 7 36.8%

I0seb's VFR800 Mark 2

24K views 117 replies 18 participants last post by  Ioseb 
#1 ·
Here we go again ;)

SO what's going to be different this time around? First off I want to use consistent bolts across the whole bike as I'm completely sick of switching between hex and allen head.

Secondly, I'm gonna go with keyless ignition purely because the lock mount on my top triple is buggered and I don't want to buy a new one.

Finally I'm gonna try to keep track of $$$ spent, mostly out of interest and to try to keep costs down.

So here's the bike as she sits

To get the ball rolling I whipped up some quick and dirty headlight mounts using some spare aluminium and what was left of the headlight bucket for sizing.

And after some angle grinding and hand filing

Finally got round to cutting off the fairing stay tabs which let me mount the headlight nice and tight to the frame.

Just need to clean up the finish of the brackets with some sand paper but can't get over to the hardware store till my new helmet arrives #BikeOnlyLife

Gonna be making a running gif of the build so at the end I'll have a nice time lapse of all the parts going on.

Finally thanks for all the support fellas, it's a seriously great community here :rock:

See less See more
#39 ·
:D

It's had a bit of a trip, USA->FIN->AUS. Near a full lap around the ball.

Seat looks better now too!

EDIT:damn now I'm thinking about refitting mine for the brit rally that's coming next weekend... Just don't have the cage anymore so got nothing to hang it from...

#48 ·
It's actually very civilised, I fitted a baffle in the header using a bolt with the head cut off, it's covered by the muffler. The volume at idle is about the same as with the undertail system, a bit louder under load but also sounds better I reckon.

#53 ·
Hey fellas, checking in for my bi yearly update :D

Fitted new VFR400 rads which do a much better job of keeping the temps in check. Need a set of 8th gen headers though to make space for the lower rad fan.

Recently stripped the bike down to do something I've been putting off for months, paint the engine. Quick sandblast, hand finish and some red and black engine enamel and here we are:

Still need to strip the side cases. Got a new front end on the way as well as the CBR one was giving me a great deal of grief. Should see a couple of posts with details of that in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers and a happy easter to everyone!

#54 ·
New forks arrived on Tuesday, yes they are conventional but should suit the VFR much better.

Added a new bit of kit to the collection today :D

So the subframe will be going together tomorrow. I also whipped up a rear hugger/chain guard out of a spare for the R1 and part of the original guard.

#56 ·
Those early 900 forks really were very good. I could make you a sick deal on a set of billet yokes for those...
I may take you up on that down the line, I leaning towards a billet setup for handlebar risers this time rather than ye olde drill a hole in the clamp and fill the bottom with epoxy.

Red engine covers very snazzy
Thanks! Really need to find time to sandblast the side cases...

Welded up the subframe mounts, will grab some more pictures when there is a little more light so you can all shit on my first attempt at welding :D

#58 ·
Tail-lights sorted

Picked up a box of Ducati S2R parts from which I scavenged bar risers and a front cowl.

Next on my list is extending the front wiring and figuring out where in the tail to mount all the components.

#63 ·
Chinese VFR400 rads, yes?
Indeedy, pretty impressed with the quality for $100. Although they forgot to put a couple of the rivnuts on.

How fun are the filter changes going to be now?
Should be fine, there's enough room to squeeze an oil filter wrench in there. Biggest pain will be avoiding the front headers when they're hot.

That will change once I find an oil cooler to fit in the space on the right of the filter though, I suspect the rad will have to come off or at least be unbolted to access it after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.