My Mini - Page 4 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Anything non-motorcycle related goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > My Mini

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-06-2018, 06:35 AM   #31
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:06 PM
Flip Offs: 36
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here
Default Re: My Mini

Like most Smoker projects, this one has taken an unexpected left turn.

Need to get more time to post details.

Asked to cancel that GG&G mount order, no reply.

Asked the manufacturer if the scope mount is in stock, no reply.

No longer want that scope mount, anyway. May get stuck with it, though.

Want to weld on aluminum to my existing scope mount and re-machine it. Not sure if the local welder and machine shop can do it. More soon.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-06-2018, 09:40 AM   #32
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:06 AM
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 57 Times in 47 Posts
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

It would have to be 6061 aluminum

Find me on Facebook at Sebspeed Customs

Float like a Goldwing, sting like a gixxer

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
SEBSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-07-2018, 11:50 AM   #33
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEBSPEED View Post
It would have to be 6061 aluminum
Thanks!

But , I don't understand (and tried searching).

I figured any compatible aluminum rod could be used to build it up.

Didn't even consider I don't know what kind of aluminum it is.

MGW (the manufacturer) is still in business. Maybe they know what type of aluminum was used to make the mount. Bought it about 30 years ago. Insane longshot.

I'll get pics, so you guys can see my idea.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-07-2018, 12:34 PM   #34
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

6000 series AL is the only series really suitable for welding. 2000 series can be done too. 7000 series, esp 7075 is not suitable for welding.

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-07-2018, 02:01 PM   #35
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Quote:
6000 series AL is the only series really suitable for welding. 2000 series can be done too. 7000 series, esp 7075 is not suitable for welding.
Got it.

Curious what Roger the welder does when people bring in (damaged) aluminum parts for welding. How does he know what rod to use, or if it's possible at all to weld?

Come to think of it, I don't think he's ever asked the type of aluminum for anything I've ever brought in.

Won't be able to ask him until next week.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #36
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

"Not suitable" and "impossible to weld" aren't the same thing...

One can make assumptions based on part type, but you don't really know unless it's marked or identified in some way. Curious to know what Roger The Welder says.

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-07-2018, 10:23 PM   #37
rjs
skunk at the lawn party
Noobie
Local Time: 01:06 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
rjs is a NOOB

Quote:
This is false. 3000 series welds very well, 5000 series weld beautifully. I have fabricated petrol tanks from both and while things like 5052 are stronger, 3003 for example, forms better and is more suitable for complex curves.
rjs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-07-2018, 11:26 PM   #38
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjs View Post
This is false. 3000 series welds very well, 5000 series weld beautifully. I have fabricated petrol tanks from both and while things like 5052 are stronger, 3003 for example, forms better and is more suitable for complex curves.
You are absolutely correct, and I apologize, my brain was stuck on common alloys Smoker's part might be made of and I incorrectly worded my response as a generalization.

I weld aluminum castings all the time, never know what could be in them.

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
This user High Fived SEBSPEED!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-09-2018, 10:24 AM   #39
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Here's the cutout area of the scope mount I'd like to fill and reshape (continuing the dovetail to the end). Must be cut to give better access to the rear iron sight. Not needed. Easy to access on the uncut side, as well.

Let me get more photos, and I'll explain why.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #40
Smoker
BLACK BELT

You know it's easy for me to get carried away with things and lose sight of the big picture.

Just thinking about tracking down the welder, and leaving the scope mount for machining is too much at this point. I don't have that kind of time. Plenty of other custom work I'd rather do.

Took a lot of hours to find an inexpensive scope that fits well (without tons of bad reviews). Trying a Monstrum FFP 1-4 x 24mm. Also ordered OEM Ruger stainless sight rings. Good reviews on those, too. High ones to get the scope away from flying shells. Not sure the scope will fit with the rings, yet. Not using a rail. It's gonna be close.

This user High Fived Smoker!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion