Older Yamaha regulators - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Electrical and Lights

Electrical and Lights Anything related to the fabrication of lights and other electrical components goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Older Yamaha regulators

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #1
ants
Legit goon

CF Addict
ants's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:05 PM
Flip Offs: 97
Flipped Off 13 Times in 10 Posts
ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!ants is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Older Yamaha regulators

My '89 XJ 600 (51J) reg/rectifier is bust

(the pins on the regulator itself are also corroded so I don't really trust the unit anymore)

My question is - can I get away with the FZR 400 model (as it looks identical)?
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Regulator-Re...387e%7Ciid%3A1

Or do I need to dish out 3x the money for a proper OEM part like this one?
https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/yamaha/...ator_rectifier

(I'll also list two other cheaper ones, if anyone knows if they're a decent fit?)
- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VOLT...818911260.html
- https://www.amazon.com/REGULATOR-REC.../dp/B01M8EYX1O

~Andrew
r.i.p.[||]
Normality is a waste of potential.
My slow-ass project: '89 Yamaha XJ600 the GOON

@Cookie2000ad:-------------------------------------------------------
| This is CF. If you file down a bolt we expect 10 photos and a video. |
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ants is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-29-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 09:05 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Older Yamaha regulators

By and large, a reg rec is a reg rec is a reg rec.

They all accept 3 AC wires as input and output 12v (nominal) DC.

Example: honda used the same regulator on a cbr125 as they did on a cbr900. It was a piece of shit, but they did and until they burnt out, they worked.

Best suggestion if you're Changing the connector anyway, get a modern MOSFET regulator. If funds are tighter, get any regulator with a nice big heatsink and a reputation of reliability (skip honda).

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived a_morti!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-29-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
a_morti
GURU

CF Addict
Local Time: 09:05 PM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 24 Times in 14 Posts
a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!a_morti is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

All that being said, why does the part you've linked only have 4 wires?

Aaron, living in Gibraltar and riding a 2014 MSX125 (Grom) with a bunch of shiny shite on it. Slow n loud!
a_morti is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-01-2019, 07:44 PM   #4
CoolhandLuke
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 03:05 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
CoolhandLuke is a glorious beacon of lightCoolhandLuke is a glorious beacon of lightCoolhandLuke is a glorious beacon of lightCoolhandLuke is a glorious beacon of lightCoolhandLuke is a glorious beacon of lightCoolhandLuke is a glorious beacon of lightCoolhandLuke is a glorious beacon of lightCoolhandLuke is a glorious beacon of lightCoolhandLuke is a glorious beacon of lightCoolhandLuke is a glorious beacon of lightCoolhandLuke is a glorious beacon of light

Thinking that the base is grounded hence no need for a fifth wire, a quick Google search brought this up

"Shindengen SH629A-12
Notes :
For 3-phase excited field systems.
Terminal Indentification: S1, S2, S3, B+, Grounded Base"

If you were to run a separate ground wire it would greatly benefit you to use a mosfet unit off of say a zx-10. This is what I have put on my 900.

I bought a used low mileage one off eBay and a plug kit from RMStator (I'm not affiliated with them). And it worked out great. Most likely have to reconfigure where it mounts as it is a good deal larger.
CoolhandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived CoolhandLuke!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-04-2019, 09:26 AM   #5
crazyjon's
GURU
Fighterer
crazyjon's's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:05 PM
Flip Offs: 17
Flipped Off 5 Times in 4 Posts
crazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant futurecrazyjon's has a brilliant future

Upgrade to a newer style r6 regulator, better cooling!

"Practice till the hot brass burns the cheeks of your ass" F. Bob Chow
crazyjon's is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Technical Section > Electrical and Lights