Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

FZ1 Engine Swap Ideas

10K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  GreY2231 
#1 ·
Long time lurker - great site here! I've got a 2003 FZ1 that I'd like to do something a little different to. My first plan was to swap a gen 2 fuel injected engine into it in place of the carbureted one. Now, I have come across a 2007 Aprilia Tuono that was lightly wrecked (front wheel bent and tail cracked) and I've kicked around putting that engine in the FZ1 and turn it into kind of a cafe racer type. Any thoughts or input on which option might be more fun? Obviously frame modification will be required with both choices which is no big deal. The gen 2 FZ1 engine will be way faster, but the Tuono engine will be a bit badasser! What would others prefer to ride?

#2 ·
that would be a pretty big undertaking.

check out this thread. It's a VTR1000 engine in a Bandit frame. very similar in both regards to a Tuono engine in your FZ1 frame.

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53866

FZ1 engine is wider, so fitting the Tuono engine would require some extensive frame modifications.
Also the Tuono engine is a stressed member, whereas the FZ1 engine sits in a cradle frame. You will have to strengthen the frame to overcome this. "stressed member" means the engine/mounting points acts as part of the frame. More detail on the subject can be had with an internet search.
Being a V-twin, the Tuono engine is longer front to back. you'd probably have to mod the frame and possibly the tank to fit.

#4 ·
Also the Tuono engine is a stressed member, whereas the FZ1 engine sits in a cradle frame. You will have to strengthen the frame to overcome this. "stressed member" means the engine/mounting points acts as part of the frame. More detail on the subject can be had with an internet search.
Being a V-twin, the Tuono engine is longer front to back. you'd probably have to mod the frame and possibly the tank to fit.
Fundamental misunderstanding of what a stressed member engine means. Stressed member means that the part is fundamental to the strength and rigidity of the frame. Look at the new Panigale for an extreme example.

The engine is not a stressed member in the first-gen FZ1, meaning it isn't a major factor in the strength of the frame, which is typical for cradle-frame bikes.

The FZ1's frame would almost certainly need to be modified to adequately support the Tuono engine, but the Tuono engine will not be a stressed member with this swap unless there is a fundamental redesign of the frame.

#3 ·
I've thought about the stressed member situation a bit. The gen 2 FZ1 engine is also a stressed member. I've considered turning the top portion of the frame into a trellis type, and cutting off the down tubes that cradle the gen 1 engine. This would also be done for the Tuono engine, and the needed strengthening pieces would be added accordingly. I'm also concerned about the narrow v-twin engine looking retarded in the wider frame. I wonder if it might be better to look at a narrow frame for that engine, something like a CB750 frame or similar. Also, thanks for the link! I've looked at that thread a number of times and am quite inspired by it.

Reactions: DecepticonDon
#5 ·
No redesigning of the frame will take place, just adding to it for rigidity. I imagine it will be a lot like the Necromorph. Thanks for the replies.

#9 ·
Nope. That engine wont even fit in the new FZ1. shoot the r1 engine that is the same as the fz1 won't even fit. I work at a yamaha dealer. And have done lots if measuring fir just this. It would still need some fabricated brackets. The engine in the FZS1000 (the bike in discussion) comes from the yzf-1000r thunder ace I would check out swapping parts from it like cams and carbs or FCR's fir more umph. The EFI is a lot less user friendly to add anything you need some kind of tuning box (power commander) where as xarbs you just need a jet kit. Plus fcr's or mikuni's TM/HSR series are badass. Just my $.02

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#10 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. With any of the above mentioned swaps, there would certainly have to be frame modifications. If swapping in the gen 2 FZ1 engine, it would be a lot less hassle (in the scheme of things) since then engines are almost the same. I realize they aren't really the same, though. My buddy had an '01 FZ1 and had continuous problems with his carbs. This is one reason why, for me, fuel injection is the way to go. I know that not all carb'd FZ1's have problems, but it's unfortunate that my first exposure to this bike was that situation. I'm completely fine setting up the fuel injection and tuning things with the gen 2 engine. On a side note, I picked up the '07 Tuono last night and will be doing a bunch of measuring to see what can be done. :) After that, it looks like I'll have an '07 Tuono to part out. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.