GS something or other... I guess it's a chop? - Page 9 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Chopper Discussion

Chopper Discussion All discussions about choppers go in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > GS something or other... I guess it's a chop?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-15-2016, 12:11 PM   #81
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

RatFighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:55 AM
Flip Offs: 190
Flipped Off 111 Times in 48 Posts
RatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: GS something or other... I guess it's a chop?

Want to know how much I hate wiring that has been messed with? So much, that I got an entire second bike to deal with wiring the GS500 chop.

Since the last gen GS450 and the 1st gen GS500E are very similar mechanically I found a GS450L in pretty good shape and made an offer my friend that had it due to a trade just couldn't refuse, so it's time to get back to this build. Summer is coming to an end in a few short weeks and the nights are already getting colder. Gotta hurry or I'll be cursing cold tools and parts I can't find that were right in front of me a mere month before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihammer View Post
Looking at this Large Hadron Collider of a vehicle, I am starting to think the little bastard may have been on to something...
RatFighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived RatFighter!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-15-2016, 12:22 PM   #82
SEBSPEED
V4's FTW
SEBSPEED's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:55 AM
Flip Offs: 53
Flipped Off 57 Times in 47 Posts
SEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on hereSEBSPEED spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Less talky, more worky.

Find me on Facebook at Sebspeed Customs

Float like a Goldwing, sting like a gixxer

2015 FOTY VFR750

2016 threads
Turbo 7/11

750 Slingshot
Discussion thread

2017 thread
VFR800 Build
SEBSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived SEBSPEED!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-10-2016, 11:05 PM   #83
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

RatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympusRatFighter sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Juice found a XS650 special 16x3 wheel to bolt up into the chop, got the air ride seat and seat hinge fabbed up and working correctly, some tank mounts and a few other small things and it'll be about that time to start bolting shit back together. This summer has been totally fucked, I'm actually embracing the oncoming snowpocalypse the weather people keep talking about. Bring it on, I've got a forced air furnace running on LP and a 240v 18,000btu heater cranking in the evenings now, winter can kiss my ass.

Quote:
Looking at this Large Hadron Collider of a vehicle, I am starting to think the little bastard may have been on to something...
These people High Fived RatFighter!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-22-2019, 11:54 PM   #84
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

Fighter of the Month 

Holy fuck, '16 was the last update? Well, should change that then. Got a round of new pics, converted the 'ol girl over to points and she fires on the first tick over, 'bout ready to get on with it all, testing and tuning and such. Suppose I'll give a proper update tomorrow. Late, tired, long day in the shop, but, the 500 lives again.

Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-27-2020, 11:34 PM   #85
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

Fighter of the Month 

I don't know why this thread keeps lacking in updates. Changed front wheel yet again, KZ550 seems to fit right. The wiring is done, all the brackets I need to make are cut out and ready to weld in. I've got no excuses for this project not being finished at this point.

Quote:
This user High Fived RatFighter!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-30-2020, 12:19 AM   #86
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:55 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

No excuse for lack of pics too!
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-31-2020, 01:11 AM   #87
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
No excuse for lack of pics too!

Well, it kinda is a good excuse, a week ago I couldn't get into my Imgur account, then when I did it's all fucking screwy and won't display my uploads, and now it booted me back out for who knows what reason and I can't figure out what my password even was. I'm so sick of this constant changing shit with websites that already work just fine. Everyone is obsessed with infinite growth, in a finite world. Stupid as fuck. Time to find a new image hosting site that actually allows me to upload and organize shit. Apparently my account on Imgur has -2 points... what the fuck for? This should probably be in the fuck you thread...

Got a bit more done on the chop today. I think I'm just down to welding together a few small metal parts and it's off to make wheel spacers. Gotta figure out the peg situation and some controls to go with them, but I might just whip some dirtbike pegs and mounts together and call it a day welding them directly to this piece of shit frame since it'll undoubtedly go skidding down the road on its side if the last few years are any indication of how much I don't belong on a street bike anymore. It's not that I'm crash prone either, my luck is just total shit and I still like to run a set of brakes, tires, and suspension to the ragged edge.

Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-01-2020, 02:25 PM   #88
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

Fighter of the Month 

Figured out Imgur. What a stupid process that was. Still confused with navigating to my actual albums so I just dumped a bunch of pics into it. Fuck it, whatever, just as much of a mess as my shop is at the moment.

Cut out a bunch of crap. Frame bracing (still needs holes for turbo plumbing, but they fit well), electronics tabs, might clean them up a bit still, and a mount plate for the coils.

Not too bad, should leave enough room for other junk.

Frame brace.

Coil mount.

This drill press is around 15 years old, back when Harbor Freight was rather new in the area. It's nothing special, but it has built ALOT of shit over the years.

Electrical junk mounted with appropriate hardware... loads of tack welding to go yet though.

Fits pretty well, tons of space for the chain too.

Rough fit of everything... I'm really not married to that fender/sissy bar setup, but it helps define the lines a bit. By the end of it this thing will likely look like a hot mess until the hand formed aluminum bits go on it... been leaning toward making it look like a baby bagger to hide the multitude of shitty parts and wiring that are undoubtedly going to adorn this poor chassis in order to keep it somewhat comfortable and reliable.

Grumpy looking bastard. My shop has so many bikes in it on a regular basis I don't even want to deal with it lately. My buddy insisted I borrow his XR650, another friend took delivery on an old shovel head from Oregon and is in the process of getting it running for the summer, hasn't taken his TW200 back home either, nor has he gotten much of anything done on his Evolution engine to get to putting "lowrider" back together. Quite a full house at the moment. Another couple dudes have mini bikes stashed here too. It's about time to make some calls and get some of this shit out of my way... probably why I look so unapproachable lately.

My shop sidekick isn't a whole lot of help, but he digs hanging out while I'm spinning old vinyl, drinking beer, and building bikes. Brisco is my shadow. Best birthday gift I've ever gotten in my life. Old guy beat cancer, took to the training instantly and loves to please, and he's an exceptional guard dog. I adopted him when he was 8 years old (nobody wanted him for whatever reason) and he's been wonderful to the kid from day 1, doesn't mess with the ex's cats, and is friendly with every dog he's met. Has never given a single indication he would ever bite anyone. (unless you rack the slide on a pistol, almost bit my buddies arm off over that one)

He's my work truck dog too. Just as old and beat up as me and the diesel rig.

Also, finally got to tick another one off the bucket list last year. Visited the edge of the world on a motorcycle. One of the northern most points on the great lakes where NASA had a secret rocket testing site back in the 50's and 60's during the cold war. All evidence of its existence is long gone now, but my brother got a shot of me on the shoreline looking out over a vast expanse of blue water, infinite sky, and 34 miles of offroad riding on a streetbike behind me.

Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-01-2020, 04:39 PM   #89
yantosh
yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:55 PM
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

you know what they say bout peoples and their dogs..
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-12-2020, 10:08 PM   #90
RatFighter
UnicycleMode

Fighter of the Month 

Continuing the ongoing saga of trying to finish shit that needs done around my shop, I got around to amassing more bits and pieces of the 500 chop. Things are strange lately with the pandemic going on, so a bunch of shit is on the back burner with the 650/900 build... leaving me enough time to deal with the 500. That time to deal with it has turned into feeling like I should just finish it ALL once and for all in one fell swoop through this next month or two. I've got no work coming in, everyone is staying home, and I have way, way too much time on my hands right now so I figure I'll put the tooling to work and make this thing "done" mechanically.

Frustrated by the inability to order/go out/amass the bits for the supercharger setup on the 650, I figured I'll just get an AMR500 this winter and run low boost on it instead of maxing out the AMR300... that leaves a very suitable roots blower on the shelf, and a 500 begging for one.

To push that stupidity farther, I acquired a carb from an early 90's Harley Evolution as it has a jetting range large enough to feed the 500 on a draw through turbo kit running a K24 turbo off an 80's Audi. Combine them all, and in some form or another, it'll be a turbo compounding a roots blower (both at 8psi at peak) and hopefully not spew its guts all over the highway the first time I do a pull to 9,000rpm with it.

It's more for the "look what I can do" factor than any real worth while gain in power. Doing it full draw through as well, is just another rude and crude thing to do to a bike engine that came with CDI, and is now converted to points. Dropping the most simplistic junk together to make one of the most complicated rat bikes possible seems like a suitable use of my time during the world being completely shut down.

Quote:

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Chopper Discussion