97 Tarded YZ Build - Page 40 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis

Dirty Tards & Minis Everything about dirtbikes, motards and minis goes in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > 97 Tarded YZ Build

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-18-2019, 08:59 AM   #391
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:19 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: 97 Tarded YZ Build

KTM kickers ought to be of good quality. Their electric starters are shit so the kicker has to be dependable. Not sure how you would find that dimension, though, or if the spline profile would match
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-18-2019, 10:31 AM   #392
RS_Raz
Dickhead
Senior Fighterer
RS_Raz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:19 PM
Flip Offs: 10
Flipped Off 8 Times in 8 Posts
RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
KTM kickers ought to be of good quality. Their electric starters are shit so the kicker has to be dependable. Not sure how you would find that dimension, though, or if the spline profile would match
Well my experience of Yamaha starters is the same, hence the kick conversion!

Yeah I can't find any info about it. I do have a colleague with a KTM 300 but I really doubt he'd take the kicker off and measure it for me. I hardly know the guy tbh so it would be a bit cheeky to ask.

I'm thinking about buying one locally to see if it fits so I can take it back if not.

They're quite sexy:

Shame it's orange but that could be rubbed off.

Striving to remain dynamic in an ever-evolving environment and shit like that.
RS_Raz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived RS_Raz!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #393
RS_Raz
Dickhead
Senior Fighterer
RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
... or if the spline profile would match

That's what is interesting. The profile of the splines on the KTM shaft are definitely different. Much flatter. But the splines on the knuckle look very much the same profile as mine.
I did a little comparison pic:

I managed to get someone to measure the KTM shaft. I knew it would be less than 16mm because the parts diagrams show a 16mm spacer fitting over it.
But I think if the DT shaft was turned down to 15.85mm it would look the same as the KTM.

My mind has been consumed by this lately. I'm like 90% sure this is gonna work out and just need a spacer made up as the KTM knuckle looks narrower but I don't know without exact dimensions from the knuckle so I've gone ahead and ordered a kicker... and then the seller emails me and says this will be delayed until sometime in February. So I need to forget about this atm & obsess about something else.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-23-2019, 12:05 AM   #394
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Geez. Looks like whoever is machining the KTM splines is doing a shitty job of it.
These people High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #395
RS_Raz
Dickhead
Senior Fighterer

Quote:
Geez. Looks like whoever is machining the KTM splines is doing a shitty job of it.
It's like they've decided that the splines should be a sacrificial part. I think if I had a KTM, I'd be green-loctiting the splines. Whatever.

Found something else to play with. Had a new exhaust flange laser cut and put some new clutch plates to soak:

Gonna see if I can get the angle of the header a bit smoother (flow-wise) and try to get the expansion chamber to tuck up a bit more on the left side. Might mess with the stinger. Not sure yet.

Also got that clutch basket to finish as I finally got some helicoils today and I will do a clutch damper delete so I have slightly more friction area.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #396
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Not criticizism, curiosity. But why delete the clutch dampers? Seems like a good thing to have for a road bike.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-25-2019, 04:32 PM   #397
RS_Raz
Dickhead
Senior Fighterer

Sorry, not the rubber dampers in the basket. They will be polyurethane. Will be deleting the damper spring which I read is for easier clutch control for new riders so the clutch doesn't bite/snatch as hard.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-25-2019, 06:16 PM   #398
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Ah, I gotcha now. Yeah, there was a similar thing used in sohc CB750's. Riding without it was so much nicer. Apparently they only put those in the CB's destined for the American market. I can't help but to be slightly offended by that. " Those fat dummies need a soft clutch". They gave us 1" taller seat foam, too, which is appreciated.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-25-2019, 06:27 PM   #399
RS_Raz
Dickhead
Senior Fighterer

Don't worry man. If you're not fat or dumb then you're already over-achieving in their eyes. So well done.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-26-2019, 10:14 AM   #400
RS_Raz
Dickhead
Senior Fighterer

Header and flange tacked together for a test fit:

Looking good. Need to order some pipe for the stinger now

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis