97 Tarded YZ Build - Page 41 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis

Dirty Tards & Minis Everything about dirtbikes, motards and minis goes in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > 97 Tarded YZ Build

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-31-2019, 07:42 AM   #401
ROBBO
MAJOR FOOKIN' CATASTROPHY
ROBBO's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:38 PM
Flip Offs: 643
Flipped Off 1,366 Times in 753 Posts
ROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too muchROBBO plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month Default Medal Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default Re: 97 Tarded YZ Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_Raz View Post
I could feel quite a lot of lash in the driveline on my old engine which I found to be from an excessive amount of play between the primary driven gear and the clutch basket. So when I fitted the new engine, I installed a newer, lower mileage part... which ended up having a similar amount of play. hmm. So I drilled the rivets out of the older one:

Instead of springs I've got 6 rubber discs. Looks like the 2 round ones take up the slack and the egg/teardrop/D-shaped ones act like bump stops. I think.

You can't buy these parts but there are some round ones available from Yambits made for RDs. But I didn't want to risk buying them and having to modify them when I could just make some.

I bought some 25mm polyurethane bar and cut my own dampers:

They're a real tight fit. I need to chamfer them, put helicoils in the clutch basket and modify the back plate for countersunk bolts. Then I can screw it all together and fit it @ some point.

I've replaced my big ugly power valve motor bracket with 2 small ones that fit round the radiator & top hose.

Old:

New:

That's all I've got for now.

Amazing work mate,I have just re-read the writeup front to back and luved every minute of the saga.Truly inspirational effort ,thank you so much for sharing

...ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR ALL...
ROBBO' 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post

Fucking reaper better fear me.
ROBBO is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived ROBBO!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 01-31-2019, 03:28 PM   #402
RS_Raz
Dickhead
Senior Fighterer
RS_Raz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:38 PM
Flip Offs: 10
Flipped Off 8 Times in 8 Posts
RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Cheers Robbo! I didn't think of it as a saga but I think maybe you're right. A mostly enjoyable saga

Striving to remain dynamic in an ever-evolving environment and shit like that.
RS_Raz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived RS_Raz!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-03-2019, 05:43 AM   #403
RS_Raz
Dickhead
Senior Fighterer
RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!RS_Raz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Here's a saga for ya.

My mig gas regulator broke and leaked all my gas away which is really shit but I wanted the new pipe bits tigged anyway so I made them up, marked them and took them over to James to tack togther so I could get final fit sorted before welding them up. James tacked them all together and said bring them back for full Tig welding when I'm ready. But I already had a different welder in mind.

Took them to the new welder and he said he couldn't do it coz there wasn't enough room for the torch... Alright. See ya later.

So back to James and he said call in tomorrow evening and it should be done. Which it was but it looked like shit. Fine. The turnaround was fast and the plan was to paint this black anyways so it looks more stock and the nickel plating is starting to rust through in places already. So I paid him & I said I'll bring it back when I've made up the stinger and the brackets and he said that one of his staff wasn't happy that I keep coming in wanting small jobs done... okayyy... My initial reaction was to dismiss it as the guy is a bit of a dick head but there must be a reason James has mentioned it. So that's a bit out of the blue Especially as I had brought over a spare ignition coil for him to try on his bike.

Anyway, I took it home and leak tested it and it leaked from everywhere. I started marking all the places it was leaking from but gave up coz it needed every weld going over. But I felt like I couldn't go back to James and I've lost faith in his welding now.

So I had a quick look on Google and found a welder about 20 miles away. I gave him a call and he said to bring it over for him to look at. He said he could fix it but he doesn't tig so it will have to be mig. Erm. Okay then. So the morning after next he tells me it's done and to pick it up:

Okay so it's not the neat little tig welds I was hoping for but there are no leaks and he charged me very little so I'm happy with what I've ended up with. It's just been a lot of fucking around for a couple of welds. And I still have more that need doing but the guy said he's happy to bring the welder to me so we can tack the stinger together on the bike. But I might have a new regulator & gas by then so we'll see.

Shone a torch inside the pipe, welds look good in there, cleaned up the outside with a wire wheel and all is good:

I wish I'd taken pics of the leaky welds to show you guys but I didn't think about it at the time. I know I should've taken it back to James but I don't think I'll be going there any more. I saw James as a friend but if they're not happy with me going there I'll have to find somewhere else that's happy doing small jobs for cash. It feels like welders & machine shops are a bit thin on the ground round here.

This user High Fived RS_Raz!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #404
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

I hate stuff like that. Welders and machine shops are pretty much gone around here, too. All machine shops have gone CNC. Two I talked to years ago about making an axle didn't own a manual machine or have anyone that knew how to use one. Random walk-in jobs is something they're not interested in. I did find one guy in the hood with a welder. Moved here from Jamaica and will weld anything you'll bring to him. His business has grown a lot in the past several years with him being pretty much the only game in town. He invested in a mobile rig and I've seen his truck on several large jobsites. He's a go-getter.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #405
RS_Raz
Dickhead
Senior Fighterer

Moxie is in such short supply these days...

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-03-2019, 03:49 PM   #406
yantosh
yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

this week I've had to weld an NC30 exhaust and a Harley fork leg, rusty steel and manky ally , proper weld shop would prob have turned away both
yantosh is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-03-2019, 05:46 PM   #407
RS_Raz
Dickhead
Senior Fighterer

No doubt. But someone's gotta do these small jobs. It's not even like I was paying mates rates. Anyways. Life goes on.
Where's my kickstart at.?

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-12-2019, 10:12 PM   #408
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Raz, was doing some maintenance on the XR and thought about your aluminum kicker lust. Took a look at my XR kickers, but don't think it's even close to working for you. 17.6mm on the outside of the splines and the arm is very tall. Totally different knuckle design, too.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-13-2019, 07:03 AM   #409
RS_Raz
Dickhead
Senior Fighterer

Thanks for doing that for me mate. I owe you a lemonade next time you're in town

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-18-2019, 06:05 PM   #410
RS_Raz
Dickhead
Senior Fighterer

Finished up the clutch basket with poly dampers:

Next time the clutch cover is off I can get this in there with the new plates.

Since I installed the taller cylinder, things have been a bit tight where the radiator hose joins the rads @ the bottom:

little bit squished.

I was gonna modify the radiators so the spigots came out the side of the end caps instead of the bottom but I happened to notice that YZ250 radiators are already made like that. So I got some:

250 top. 125 bottom:

125 left. 250 right:

The RHS 125 radiator is shorter to allow room for the pipe:

This clearance is no longer necessary.

So I test fitted the 250 radiators to find that they have plenty of clearance issues of their own:

Both sides hit the cylinder head and LHS sits on the exhaust... but I can make this work

These people High Fived RS_Raz!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis