Gpz750 Resto-Mod (Continued) - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Gpz750 Resto-Mod (Continued)

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-22-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp
Streetfighterkz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:36 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 11 Times in 7 Posts
Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Gpz750 Resto-Mod (Continued)

This thread picks up where I left off after failing to complete the 2014 Winter Build-off.

I finally got all the pieces for my rearsets. I ordered a new lever plate and a M6 heim joint to complete my linkage as well as Zr7 shift link for the engine side. The Zr7 link was necessary as the GPz link was made to run the rod on top and with the Gilles running the rod on the bottom, I would have GP shifting which I don't really want at this time and the Zr7 linkage is underslung. So anyways, I installed the Zr7 link and wouldn't you know it, the side stand hits it.

It looked like I had enough room to cut and re-weld the joint inward.

But I don't..

So my options are GP shifting or relocate the stock sidestand or replace with something less bulky and cleaner.

Later, Doug

74 Kawasaki H1-500 Project
76 Kawasaki Kz900 'Strip-fighter Project
77 Kawasaki Kz1000
78 Kawasaki Kz1000 Project
'80 Cx500 Cafe/Brat Project
83 Kawasaki Gpz750 (Turbo Converted) Project
Streetfighterkz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Streetfighterkz!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-23-2014, 01:57 AM   #2
hrdy
Noobie
CF Pimp
hrdy's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:36 PM
Flipped Off 22 Times in 14 Posts
hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!hrdy is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Gpz750 Resto-Mod (Continued)

or add another link?
hrdy is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived hrdy!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-26-2014, 12:11 AM   #3
dieslowlyMF
Chief Breakshit Engineer
Fighter
dieslowlyMF's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:36 AM
Flip Offs: 1
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
dieslowlyMF is well likeddieslowlyMF is well likeddieslowlyMF is well likeddieslowlyMF is well likeddieslowlyMF is well likeddieslowlyMF is well liked

Well I was just looking at this for my Gpz tonight

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/p1514/...-or-universal/

Cheapish and looks lighter than the stock one. My rough measurements tell me its a direct fit...kinda. The stock ones use en extra tab to stop the side of the kickstand whereas it looks like this relies on the throat of the clevis to provide the stop for the kick stand.

I was going to weld up a longer tubular steel kick stand in place of the cast hunk I currently have, why not put it in an out of the way spot
dieslowlyMF is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived dieslowlyMF!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-26-2014, 12:19 AM   #4
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp
Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Streetfighterkz is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Thanks for the link. I have a different kickstand and mount from a newer Kaw sportbike but I'm still debating on what I want to do. It's not like I can revert back to the stock rear suspension at this point anyway.

Later, Doug

77 Kawasaki Kz1000
Streetfighterkz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp

I messed with the side stand and linkage some more. I think even if I used a different linkage configuration the side stand would be in the way of the shifter and my size 13 foot.

I found a longer than needed shift rod in my spare parts bin and with a little help from a bandsaw, lathe, and die ended up with a correct rod.

Also finished the fender mounts using my cardboard template I did months ago. Again a little bandsaw, lathe, grinder, welder action..

The odd bolts will be replaced with some nicer looking ones when the time comes.

More to come as I get a little more time to work on it.

Later, Doug

77 Kawasaki Kz1000
These people High Fived Streetfighterkz!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-05-2014, 02:27 AM   #6
Pariah
Stupid motherfucker
Pariah's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:36 AM
Flip Offs: 504
Flipped Off 402 Times in 164 Posts
Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Damn, that shifter looks sweet! Looks like you're going in a good direction with this build.

It's not so bad as long as you can keep the fear from your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Looks good, but I would prefer titanium nipples.
Street Triple
Supercharged Street Triple
Pale Horse XJ750
Pariah is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp

Haven't did a whole lot lately but progress is progress.

New steering stop tab welded under the stock one.

Got the exhaust off without any trouble. Four studs came out and the other four stayed in. No drama otherwise.

I also scored a Zr7 oil cooler from eBay for a pretty good deal. It's a little bigger but the fittings are the same just the hoses are a tad shorter. I still have to make new mounts as the GPz and Zr7 holes don't match up.

Also cut out the stock battery box brace and welded on a tab for rear M/C reservoir.

My "before final welding" to-do list is growing shorter.

Later, Doug

77 Kawasaki Kz1000
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-03-2014, 07:55 PM   #8
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp

A little more progress...

And the oil cooler temporarily hung from the new top mount.

Still need to make a couple bottom mounting tabs yet. Probably will get to them tomorrow.

Later, Doug

77 Kawasaki Kz1000
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #9
Streetfighterkz
Capt Oblivious
CF Pimp

Finished up the oil cooler lower bracket. I used the bracket I cut off that was made for the battery tray and cut it to be the same height as the bung used for the upper mount. My weld beads look like crap IMO but they'll blend in with the crap factory welds so no biggie.

Later, Doug

77 Kawasaki Kz1000
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
Ga Joe
Kawaholic
Noobie
Ga Joe's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:36 AM
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ga Joe is a glorious beacon of lightGa Joe is a glorious beacon of lightGa Joe is a glorious beacon of lightGa Joe is a glorious beacon of lightGa Joe is a glorious beacon of lightGa Joe is a glorious beacon of lightGa Joe is a glorious beacon of lightGa Joe is a glorious beacon of lightGa Joe is a glorious beacon of light

Looking good!
Ga Joe is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes