Random thoughts... - Page 1480 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion

Open Discussion Anything non-motorcycle related goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Random thoughts...

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-07-2019, 08:00 PM   #14791
Mongoose
GURU

CF Addict
Mongoose's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:17 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Random thoughts...

Im hopin its not an age thing.. Lol..
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-08-2019, 03:49 AM   #14792
titan
hooligan quads

CF Addict
titan's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:17 PM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 14 Times in 2 Posts
titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!titan is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Did mine years back, once it Healed it will be ok scar tissue is stronger. Hasn't happened again since sure your little chap will be fine with some bed rest.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

ride it like you stole it

Customization not Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
H Designs

2020 build off - build - chat
titan is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived titan!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-10-2019, 08:09 AM   #14793
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:17 PM
Flip Offs: 25
Flipped Off 34 Times in 22 Posts
Mattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Stupid question from someone who's never owned a "true" 4wd... If you have a car with a hi/lo 4wd gearbox can you engage awd without going outside and engaging possible hub locks? Also for how long can you drive with the awd engaged provided the surface is slippery/covered in snow?

Bashan BS200-S7 '07 Street Quad
Ex: Benelli Tornado 900 '06
Ex:Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA '02
Ex:Honda CBR 600 F2 '91
Mattson is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-10-2019, 08:32 AM   #14794
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:17 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattson View Post
Stupid question from someone who's never owned a "true" 4wd... If you have a car with a hi/lo 4wd gearbox can you engage awd without going outside and engaging possible hub locks? Also for how long can you drive with the awd engaged provided the surface is slippery/covered in snow?
I'm not understanding the question about the hubs. Some vehicles have auto locking hubs , some don't, but the transfer case functions the same regardless of high or low range.

There's no time or distance limit to driving with 4wd engaged. Nothings in the transfer case is gonna overheat or be effected by high road speeds. Just your typical thing that if the road is dry, things will start binding and bucking in sharp turns if both axles are pulling.

Some "true" systems, as you put it, will just power up both axles equally and the binding can be pretty nasty. I don't know how "AWD" systems accomplish it, but whatever override/ power split feature they use just isn't present in a basic hi/lo t-case setup like you'd find in most pickups.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-10-2019, 08:46 AM   #14795
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympusMattson sits atop olympus
Fighter of the Month 

Gotcha. By hub locks I mean, for example the Toyota Hilux pickup has these twist locks at the hub centers to engage diff lock. From what I understand those can be left open if not needed and just yank the t-case lever onto 4wd at the cabin and rock on. The only "true" (read:mechanical) 4wd car I've ever driven is Rex's Tofu back when it was briefly under my name.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #14796
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:17 PM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Yeah, if there is no auto locking feature for the hubs you'll have to do that manually. Otherwise activating the front drive will just have that driveshaft twirling.

Some modern stuff don't unlock the hubs anymore, but there's a disconnect inside the front diff instead.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-10-2019, 09:18 AM   #14797
yantosh
yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:17 PM
Flip Offs: 14
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattson View Post
Gotcha. By hub locks I mean, for example the Toyota Hilux pickup has these twist locks at the hub centers to engage diff lock. From what I understand those can be left open if not needed and just yank the t-case lever onto 4wd at the cabin and rock on. The only "true" (read:mechanical) 4wd car I've ever driven is Rex's Tofu back when it was briefly under my name.
Mitsubishi L200 you can engage 4wd on the move
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #14798
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:17 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
I'm not understanding the question about the hubs. Some vehicles have auto locking hubs , some don't, but the transfer case functions the same regardless of high or low range.

There's no time or distance limit to driving with 4wd engaged. Nothings in the transfer case is gonna overheat or be effected by high road speeds. Just your typical thing that if the road is dry, things will start binding and bucking in sharp turns if both axles are pulling.

Some "true" systems, as you put it, will just power up both axles equally and the binding can be pretty nasty. I don't know how "AWD" systems accomplish it, but whatever override/ power split feature they use just isn't present in a basic hi/lo t-case setup like you'd find in most pickups.
I heard my nextdoor neighbor snap a flange on an axle on his... Yukon? turning it around in the street in 4WD. They had an RTI ramp out and he was swapping from forward to reverse. I was in my garage, with the door closed, and heard an unpleasant noise.

AWD systems have a center differential. It's generally limited slip rather than open. 4WD systems don't have a center differential (or in some hybrid AWD/4WD they have a center diff that you can fully lock, effectively giving you no center diff).

If you have manual hubs, you can just leave them engaged if you think you might need them. More things spin so mileage will suffer a hair, and more things will wear out over time. Then just put the transfer case in 4WD if you need to.

If you're on loose surfaces you should be able to drive indefinitely in 4WD without problems.

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, FE570, FS570, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-10-2019, 11:10 AM   #14799
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Cheers guys possibly looking at a '97 Nissan Terrano 2 unless someone beats me to it, gotta sell the Alfa first and that might prove tricky. The reason I need 4wd is the road surfaces on my mail route vary at winter between knee deep snow and wet ice with zero grit.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-10-2019, 06:42 PM   #14800
Mattson
Stressed Member
Fighter of the Month 

Listed the Alfa for sale. No pressure but I`d appreciate if you`d click the link to briefly visit the ad page to get me more views (a.k.a. free exposure )

https://www.nettiauto.com/alfa-romeo/gt/10989096

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion