yz80 -- old ass mini moto - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis

Dirty Tards & Minis Everything about dirtbikes, motards and minis goes in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > yz80 -- old ass mini moto

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-09-2016, 09:07 PM   #11
CK 187
CAPTAIN AWESOMEŽ

CK 187's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:44 PM
Flip Offs: 631
Flipped Off 470 Times in 171 Posts
CK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default Re: yz80 -- old ass mini moto

Haul your ass over to Edgerton and see Ryan S at The Bargain Barn for tons of parts
CK 187 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived CK 187!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-09-2016, 10:06 PM   #12
Racing Geek
lb/hp is what it's about!
Racing Geek's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:44 PM
Flip Offs: 168
Flipped Off 83 Times in 73 Posts
Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Scavenger Hunt 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK 187 View Post
Haul your ass over to Edgerton and see Ryan S at The Bargain Barn for tons of parts
I sold him a Buell XB front wheel and fairing at Woodstock a few weeks ago. He was interested in my other front wheel but decided against it. I wonder if he'll take it as trade towards parts I need?

This yz needs a radiator shroud too. That's a big part of the reason I've only been taking photos of the left side of the bike. Haha
Racing Geek is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-10-2016, 07:35 AM   #13
CK 187
CAPTAIN AWESOMEŽ

CK 187's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 631
Flipped Off 470 Times in 171 Posts
CK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Geek View Post
I sold him a Buell XB front wheel and fairing at Woodstock a few weeks ago. He was interested in my other front wheel but decided against it. I wonder if he'll take it as trade towards parts I need?

This yz needs a radiator shroud too. That's a big part of the reason I've only been taking photos of the left side of the bike. Haha

Hit him up
CK 187 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-06-2016, 02:36 PM   #14
Racing Geek
Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Scavenger Hunt 

It has been a while with no update so here's the latest.

I bought some 80/90/17 and 80/90/14 IRC nr77 scooter tires for it and it handles much better. The front tire is the same as stock but the rear is significantly smaller. The change in diameter kills top speed but makes wheelies even easier so fun FUN!

I also cut off 2" of fork spring and added 2" of extra preload like suggested. It was significantly better but still pretty soft. I could lean against the forks and easily compress them 3-4". Jump on them and they'd still bottom out. Stock on the right, modified on the left.

A few weeks ago I was at a swap meet and bought a handful of fork springs for $5. Supposedly they are all from early 60's Triumphs. Didn't really care because they were the right diameter and appeared to be significantly stiffer. I rebuilt the forks and put the new springs in with 3/16" preload and 5wt oil and it turns out they are quite a bit stiffer. When I hold the brake and jump down on the forks I can only move them about 4-5". Much better!

Next on the list is a bigger front brake. Plan is to redrill a rotor from one of the bikes under the 21.051 to go from the stock 190mm rotor to a floating 290mm rotor. Not sure if I'll switch to a bigger caliper or leave the stock one alone. I've got a 14mm master in a box somewhere too.

Last edited by Racing Geek; 08-03-2017 at 01:23 AM.
This user High Fived Racing Geek!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-06-2016, 07:54 PM   #15
Garret
CF Lover
Garret's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 4
Flipped Off 4 Times in 4 Posts
Garret is a glorious beacon of lightGarret is a glorious beacon of lightGarret is a glorious beacon of lightGarret is a glorious beacon of lightGarret is a glorious beacon of lightGarret is a glorious beacon of lightGarret is a glorious beacon of lightGarret is a glorious beacon of lightGarret is a glorious beacon of lightGarret is a glorious beacon of lightGarret is a glorious beacon of light

Should be using 10w or higher for a big boy rider bud, get way too much compression with that light oil. 10w-40 motor oil works good in mini motards with old forks because the fluid heats up as it cycles and gets thicker, so giving you more dampening when it is bumpy
Garret is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-06-2016, 08:56 PM   #16
Racing Geek
Scavenger Hunt 

All I had on hand when I did the fork rebuild is 5wt and 20wt fork oil and I couldn't find any specs online for this old of a bike. Even so, compression seems fine now that I changed springs. I haven't done the math yet to see what exactly all the spring rates are that I've run so far but the new springs are probably twice as stiff as the stock ones when they were cut down.

If anything the rebound seems too fast but these are old school damper rod forks so I'm not sure I can do much about that. The thicker oil might help but it will also make compression stiffer which I don't really want. It's still way better than it was so I'll wait and see how things are when the front brake upgrade is done unless you've got other ideas. I'm not knocking your idea of 10wt fork oil, I'm just thinking out loud.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-06-2016, 10:09 PM   #17
Garret
CF Lover
Garret is a glorious beacon of lightGarret is a glorious beacon of lightGarret is a glorious beacon of lightGarret is a glorious beacon of lightGarret is a glorious beacon of lightGarret is a glorious beacon of lightGarret is a glorious beacon of lightGarret is a glorious beacon of lightGarret is a glorious beacon of lightGarret is a glorious beacon of lightGarret is a glorious beacon of light

Oh man you are gonna want that compression stiffer once you put bigger brakes on it. Although the if you are riding it more motard style you can get away with it but if you are going knee down. Stiffen the hell outta that front
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-06-2016, 10:11 PM   #18
Garret
CF Lover

Knee down on a stiff front end!!!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-07-2016, 07:12 PM   #19
XxGRYMMxX
Breaking shit...
CF Pimp
XxGRYMMxX's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 13 Times in 10 Posts
XxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on hereXxGRYMMxX spends too much time on here

cool bike, makes me want a 2t!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
They can ban, outlaw, and restrict whatever they please. I'll keep doing whatever the fuck I'm doing, because I don't really give a shit. The only thing that will change is that I'll be breaking their made up bullshit rules while doing it, and I'm comfortable with that.

My Build http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=118649
XxGRYMMxX is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 10-08-2016, 02:02 AM   #20
medimicated420
GURU
CF Addict
Flip Offs: 27
Flipped Off 5 Times in 5 Posts
medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!medimicated420 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

get a pit bike grymm, we can race lol
medimicated420 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived medimicated420!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis