HELP: My Laptop Broke Down On Me - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion > Byte Fighters

Byte Fighters All computer related discussion goes in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > HELP: My Laptop Broke Down On Me

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-05-2013, 02:42 AM   #1
Jackstand Johnny
watches you sleep.

Jackstand Johnny's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:58 PM
Flip Offs: 321
Flipped Off 209 Times in 127 Posts
Jackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loser
Default HELP: My Laptop Broke Down On Me

So today I started hearing a loud ticking sound from below the keyboard on my laptop. I turned it off so I wouldn't have to hear it and when I went to power it back on, it wouldn't boot up. The best i could get it to do(pressing the power button several times) is get the first screen to come up with a little banner on the screen giving me 2 options: 1. F2- setup utility and 2. F12- boot manager.

Then either by pressing F12 or by waiting, a screen came up saying a cable wasnt connected and telling me to connect a boot something or other.

So is my hard drive toast or is the whole thing trashed? Selling parts online is my only means of income so I NEED a computer. Please help! Thanks in advance.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Jackstand Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-05-2013, 03:56 AM   #2
Britjoe
British Bloke in Canada
CF Addict
Britjoe's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:58 PM
Flip Offs: 6
Flipped Off 13 Times in 11 Posts
Britjoe is a splendid one to beholdBritjoe is a splendid one to beholdBritjoe is a splendid one to beholdBritjoe is a splendid one to beholdBritjoe is a splendid one to beholdBritjoe is a splendid one to beholdBritjoe is a splendid one to beholdBritjoe is a splendid one to beholdBritjoe is a splendid one to beholdBritjoe is a splendid one to beholdBritjoe is a splendid one to behold
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: HELP: My Laptop Broke Down On Me

Hard Drive is Dead by the sounds of it

Females are nothing but Trouble, Motorcycles let you ride them with no guilt and all they ask you for is Gas Money.
http://www.customfighters.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=161&dateline=12497875  35
Britjoe is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Britjoe!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-05-2013, 04:05 AM   #3
Britjoe
British Bloke in Canada
CF Addict
Britjoe's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:58 PM
Flip Offs: 6
Flipped Off 13 Times in 11 Posts
Britjoe is a splendid one to beholdBritjoe is a splendid one to beholdBritjoe is a splendid one to beholdBritjoe is a splendid one to beholdBritjoe is a splendid one to beholdBritjoe is a splendid one to beholdBritjoe is a splendid one to beholdBritjoe is a splendid one to beholdBritjoe is a splendid one to beholdBritjoe is a splendid one to beholdBritjoe is a splendid one to behold
Fighter of the Month 

I would say its Just the Hard drive, Did you Have a Back of your system, if not your gonna need a windows disc, a new Hard drive, and and the COA # key thats on your Laptop some where

Females are nothing but Trouble, Motorcycles let you ride them with no guilt and all they ask you for is Gas Money.
http://www.customfighters.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=161&dateline=12497875  35
Britjoe is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Britjoe!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Jackstand Johnny
watches you sleep.

Jackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loserJackstand Johnny is a loser

No it wasn't backed up. Mitch actually gave me this laptop a few months back. It was a demo model from a department store so it didn't come with any CD's or anything. What's a COA? I've gotta know someone who can out windows on it for me. So y'all definitely think it's the hard drive huh? That's what I thought but I'd hate to. Buy a new HD if it wasn't the problem. Thanks so much for the help.
Jackstand Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
jed.only
escape from prison planet
CF Addict
jed.only's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 17
Flipped Off 21 Times in 14 Posts
jed.only is a wicked helpful, well liked member!jed.only is a wicked helpful, well liked member!jed.only is a wicked helpful, well liked member!jed.only is a wicked helpful, well liked member!jed.only is a wicked helpful, well liked member!jed.only is a wicked helpful, well liked member!jed.only is a wicked helpful, well liked member!jed.only is a wicked helpful, well liked member!jed.only is a wicked helpful, well liked member!jed.only is a wicked helpful, well liked member!jed.only is a wicked helpful, well liked member!

Get a cheap external and Put a freebie os on there like Ubuntu

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

jed.only is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
Jackstand Johnny
watches you sleep.

First I'd like to know for sure that its the hard drive, but if I do buy a hard drive I don't want it to be a downgrade and I think an external hard drive would definitely be a down grade. Is there a way I can troubleshoot the HDD to see if that is the problem?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
OneSickPsycho
I am a motherfucker
CF Addict
OneSickPsycho's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:58 PM
Flip Offs: 10
Flipped Off 31 Times in 20 Posts
OneSickPsycho is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!OneSickPsycho is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!OneSickPsycho is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!OneSickPsycho is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!OneSickPsycho is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!OneSickPsycho is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!OneSickPsycho is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!OneSickPsycho is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!OneSickPsycho is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!OneSickPsycho is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!OneSickPsycho is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackstand Johnny View Post
No it wasn't backed up. Mitch actually gave me this laptop a few months back. It was a demo model from a department store so it didn't come with any CD's or anything. What's a COA? I've gotta know someone who can out windows on it for me. So y'all definitely think it's the hard drive huh? That's what I thought but I'd hate to. Buy a new HD if it wasn't the problem. Thanks so much for the help.
Certificate of Authenticity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackstand Johnny View Post
First I'd like to know for sure that its the hard drive, but if I do buy a hard drive I don't want it to be a downgrade and I think an external hard drive would definitely be a down grade. Is there a way I can troubleshoot the HDD to see if that is the problem?
Pretty clear that your HDD took a shit. There aren't a whole lot of moving parts inside your laptop... Unless it has a DVD/CD ROM, the HDD is it. Ticking or clicking is tell-tale HDD death sound... and the fact that it's not booting, but allowing you to go into the BIOS pretty much seals it for me.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived OneSickPsycho!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
Jackstand Johnny
watches you sleep.

OK that's what I was thinking and everyone seems to think it's the hard drive. I guess I need to figure out what kind of connections mine has and all that right? Like Sata or Data or some shit? Did some reading up on them last night.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #9
Nailhead
GURU
Nailhead's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:58 PM
Flip Offs: 131
Flipped Off 466 Times in 290 Posts
Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Nailhead is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

yes its your hdd

yes is a SATA connection

they can be had for mega cheap, sorry about it dying dude but this is just the nature of electronics

if you need windows 7 i have you covered there

if you need anymore help PM me and we can talk on the phone or something

its a simple concept really,
build bike from what you have and can afford
ride bike with your friends as much as you can
and love every minute of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiden View Post
I go home and make myself a sandwich.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXQkBZ1NOM8
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Nailhead!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
Jackstand Johnny
watches you sleep.

Its cool man. I figured with it being a floor model it was something I'd have to prepare for so it wasnt a shock or a huge upset when it finally went. I'm gonna try to get out to best buy this week and find a replacement HDD. I might have to take you up on that copy of windows though. Theres a guy who rides with my friends that is really good with computers and I think he can help but He's out of town a lot. I'll probably have to tackle this myself. I'm hoping it's not too complicated to get it running right again.

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Off Topic > Open Discussion > Byte Fighters