My DIY Powder Coating Booth - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Tools

Streetfighter Tools Discussion about the tools you use to build and modify your streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > My DIY Powder Coating Booth

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-28-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
JaCkHoLe
The Handy Man
Fighter
JaCkHoLe's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:23 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 3 Times in 1 Post
JaCkHoLe is a glorious beacon of lightJaCkHoLe is a glorious beacon of lightJaCkHoLe is a glorious beacon of lightJaCkHoLe is a glorious beacon of lightJaCkHoLe is a glorious beacon of lightJaCkHoLe is a glorious beacon of lightJaCkHoLe is a glorious beacon of lightJaCkHoLe is a glorious beacon of lightJaCkHoLe is a glorious beacon of lightJaCkHoLe is a glorious beacon of light
Default My DIY Powder Coating Booth

I was tired of getting powder all over my shop (was just using a plastic sheet) so i decided to build my own filtered powder coating booth. I used 2X3 studs, 4X8 sheets of that composite board stuff with the smooth white finish, caster wheel for the grounded part hanger, box fans, cheap filters, and a Harbor Freight powder gun. If you have any Q's let me know. Enjoy:

JaCkHoLe is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived JaCkHoLe!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-28-2012, 04:52 AM   #2
sidewayz
jANITORIAL TECHNITION

CF Addict
sidewayz's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:23 PM
Flip Offs: 20
Flipped Off 16 Times in 6 Posts
sidewayz is a wicked helpful, well liked member!sidewayz is a wicked helpful, well liked member!sidewayz is a wicked helpful, well liked member!sidewayz is a wicked helpful, well liked member!sidewayz is a wicked helpful, well liked member!sidewayz is a wicked helpful, well liked member!sidewayz is a wicked helpful, well liked member!sidewayz is a wicked helpful, well liked member!sidewayz is a wicked helpful, well liked member!sidewayz is a wicked helpful, well liked member!sidewayz is a wicked helpful, well liked member!
Default Re: My DIY Powder Coating Booth

Thats exactly the setup i had in mind for me. I dont do the powder anymore but it would be good for paint. Only thing i was going to do diff was a fan or two horizontaly for a down draft. Nice.
sidewayz is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-28-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
LAFighter
Fighterer
LAFighter's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:23 PM
Flipped Off 4 Times in 2 Posts
LAFighter is a glorious beacon of lightLAFighter is a glorious beacon of lightLAFighter is a glorious beacon of lightLAFighter is a glorious beacon of lightLAFighter is a glorious beacon of lightLAFighter is a glorious beacon of lightLAFighter is a glorious beacon of lightLAFighter is a glorious beacon of lightLAFighter is a glorious beacon of lightLAFighter is a glorious beacon of lightLAFighter is a glorious beacon of light

What did all that run you? Aprrox? My landlord not thrilled about me rattle canning in the apartment...lol

Your bike is like a dick, You have to play with it to learn how to use it.

Fighters and Chicks always look better naked.
LAFighter is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
Racing Geek
lb/hp is what it's about!
Racing Geek's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 168
Flipped Off 83 Times in 73 Posts
Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Scavenger Hunt 

How much weight do you think that castor can support?
Racing Geek is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
JaCkHoLe
The Handy Man
Fighter
JaCkHoLe is a glorious beacon of lightJaCkHoLe is a glorious beacon of lightJaCkHoLe is a glorious beacon of lightJaCkHoLe is a glorious beacon of lightJaCkHoLe is a glorious beacon of lightJaCkHoLe is a glorious beacon of lightJaCkHoLe is a glorious beacon of lightJaCkHoLe is a glorious beacon of lightJaCkHoLe is a glorious beacon of lightJaCkHoLe is a glorious beacon of light

The whole thing cost me around $120 not including the powder gun setup, the fans, or the caster wheels underneath (had all that already). I'm sure it could be built cheaper, as mine ended up being almost too large, and I had almost a full sheet of the white stuff left over. The caster wheel I am using as a part hanger was rated at 150lbs, but that is in compression. You can't tell in the picture, but it has 4 deck screws holding it on. I used a longer one for the grounding post. It seems pretty sturdy, I hung a spare frame on it with no issues, and I hung from the bare wooden frame with no issues lol so i think it could hold quite a bit. Could always buy a larger caster wheel and switch to bolts if I want to hang engine blocks or something.
This user High Fived JaCkHoLe!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
greenmachines

Fighter
Flip Offs: 2
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
greenmachines is a name known to allgreenmachines is a name known to allgreenmachines is a name known to allgreenmachines is a name known to allgreenmachines is a name known to allgreenmachines is a name known to allgreenmachines is a name known to allgreenmachines is a name known to allgreenmachines is a name known to allgreenmachines is a name known to allgreenmachines is a name known to all

You're going to want to find a new home for all the stuff you put on the lower shelves. It's going to get covered in powder.

Also, avoid buying the HF powder. It's junk.

Otherwise looks good.

www.greenmachinecustoms.com
Powder coating~fabrication~welding

Dealer for these fine brands -
Vortex Racing - SuperSprox - Lockhart Phillips - DynaBead - Spiegler Performance Parts - Antigravity Batteries - Ape Racing
greenmachines is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
Racing Geek
lb/hp is what it's about!
Racing Geek's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 168
Flipped Off 83 Times in 73 Posts
Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Scavenger Hunt 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachines View Post
You're going to want to find a new home for all the stuff you put on the lower shelves. It's going to get covered in powder.

Also, avoid buying the HF powder. It's junk.

Otherwise looks good.
So the HF gun is ok but the HF powder should be avoided?
Racing Geek is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-30-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
greenmachines

Fighter
Flip Offs: 2
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
greenmachines is a name known to allgreenmachines is a name known to allgreenmachines is a name known to allgreenmachines is a name known to allgreenmachines is a name known to allgreenmachines is a name known to allgreenmachines is a name known to allgreenmachines is a name known to allgreenmachines is a name known to allgreenmachines is a name known to allgreenmachines is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Geek View Post
So the HF gun is ok but the HF powder should be avoided?
The HF gun works. Eastwoods is a little better because it has a Kv setting for hi and low for multicoats or tight areas.

I've never tried eastwood's powder as everyone told me to avoid when I started. I've tried HF powder and while it works, the quality is lacking. I've had their flat black turn gloss in the oven. The durability isn't the greatest either. The problem is more the inability to know what it's going to do. I've run the same type of parts with the same settings and have had different results.

You are better off starting with good powder from Prismatic or Tiger. Columbiacoatings or powder365 are fine as well. I avoid powderbuythepound. The screwed up 4 out of 5 orders and will only use them if I cannot find the color anywhere else that a customer requests.

www.greenmachinecustoms.com
Powder coating~fabrication~welding

Dealer for these fine brands -
Vortex Racing - SuperSprox - Lockhart Phillips - DynaBead - Spiegler Performance Parts - Antigravity Batteries - Ape Racing
greenmachines is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived greenmachines!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 09-30-2012, 02:45 AM   #9
JaCkHoLe
The Handy Man
Fighter

I know to avoid HF powder, I only keep it around for stuff I dont care much about. I however have been getting pretty good finishes out of the flat black. Has come out the same color for me every time, but I will agree it isnt very durable. I also get most of my powder from powderbuythepound and tccoatings, and have nothing bad to say about either. PBTP ships to me VERY fast, and they have a good color selection. I do like to try out different suppliers and will probably give those suggestions a whirl, currently trying to find a supplier who's hard container will thread straight to my gun. So far no such luck. I do plan to upgrade to a better gun eventually, but for now this setup works decent for what i do. I also built a good sized oven. I'll post pics of that next.
This user High Fived JaCkHoLe!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
GsxrNinja1281
doobie Univ. RollSqd. Cpt
Fighter In Training
GsxrNinja1281's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:23 PM
Flipped Off 10 Times in 3 Posts
GsxrNinja1281 is really niceGsxrNinja1281 is really niceGsxrNinja1281 is really niceGsxrNinja1281 is really niceGsxrNinja1281 is really niceGsxrNinja1281 is really niceGsxrNinja1281 is really nice

Whatever happened to the oven pictures.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Motorcycle.com Free App
GsxrNinja1281 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Streetfighter Tools