That one bike that does it all except exist - Page 2 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis

Dirty Tards & Minis Everything about dirtbikes, motards and minis goes in here!

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > That one bike that does it all except exist

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-15-2019, 05:22 PM   #11
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:16 PM
Flip Offs: 57
Flipped Off 115 Times in 102 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: That one bike that does it all except exist

Versys engines in a KLR is another that has been done. Kinda hard to get excited about a KLR though.

I like this SV650 done up with DRZ forks and such. Dude built an under seat fuel tank, too.

shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived shinyribs!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-15-2019, 06:44 PM   #12
Racing Geek
lb/hp is what it's about!
Racing Geek's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:16 PM
Flip Offs: 168
Flipped Off 83 Times in 73 Posts
Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Racing Geek is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Scavenger Hunt 

First, welcome back! I recently joined the forum again too. Second, sucks to hear you moved to Colorado as I'm guessing I won't be seeing you at Barber anymore. Third, congrats on the new job and better $$. Did you do a career change like you were talking about a while back?

Talk to Joel about the WR250F he just bought. He's in love with it. I had to listen to him go back and forth about the perfect ADV bike for almost a year before he finally pulled the trigger on the WR.

The only thing I didn't like about my DRZ was no kick start (like you said, aftermarket solution), the weight, and no 6th gear. I could get by with no 6th gear since it would still keep pace with traffic at 65-70 for the riding I was doing but it sure would have been nice to drop the rpms a little more.

If you want EFI and don't want to build something yourself then I think a WR250 is the answer. If you want a super simple bike then I'm with Shiny, get a XR400. I love my XR250 as a woods bike but I'll admit it doesn't have the balls to stay happy doing much more than 50mph for any length of time. The 650 air cooled bikes didn't seem to have more power than a XR400 but weighed a lot more. My DRZ was faster than my dad's XL650.

Since I've already had a DRZ I'd go WR250 for my next enduro type bike or if I can find a street legal XR400 I'd pick that above all.
Racing Geek is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Racing Geek!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-15-2019, 11:05 PM   #13
thaOrleanyte
Jarhead Supreme

thaOrleanyte's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:16 PM
Flip Offs: 699
Flipped Off 518 Times in 242 Posts
thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Geek View Post
First, welcome back! I recently joined the forum again too. Second, sucks to hear you moved to Colorado as I'm guessing I won't be seeing you at Barber anymore. Third, congrats on the new job and better $$. Did you do a career change like you were talking about a while back?

Talk to Joel about the WR250F he just bought. He's in love with it. I had to listen to him go back and forth about the perfect ADV bike for almost a year before he finally pulled the trigger on the WR.

The only thing I didn't like about my DRZ was no kick start (like you said, aftermarket solution), the weight, and no 6th gear. I could get by with no 6th gear since it would still keep pace with traffic at 65-70 for the riding I was doing but it sure would have been nice to drop the rpms a little more.

If you want EFI and don't want to build something yourself then I think a WR250 is the answer. If you want a super simple bike then I'm with Shiny, get a XR400. I love my XR250 as a woods bike but I'll admit it doesn't have the balls to stay happy doing much more than 50mph for any length of time. The 650 air cooled bikes didn't seem to have more power than a XR400 but weighed a lot more. My DRZ was faster than my dad's XL650.

Since I've already had a DRZ I'd go WR250 for my next enduro type bike or if I can find a street legal XR400 I'd pick that above all.
Barber's a soft maybe for a year or two at least. Kinda changed careers....kinda got promoted. More like moved up in industry. Still a glorified electrician, but now it's on rockets and space stuff. I got a job doing testing/ R&D, which has been pretty interesting.

I think the DRZ is just a bike you kinda settle on, or a in-between-bikes ride. A try it outer, something you ride to find what you're really searching for.

I talked to Joel on IG today about his WR and he seemed really stoked on it. The more I sleep on it, the more my gut leans WR. My wrist and ass are horsepower jaded...

The same $2k thrown at a WR may turn it into a much more capable machine than the DRZ just on the basis of having adjustable suspension. And the WR is probably more realistic for the riding im looking to actually do on a normal basis: 65mph, 15mi work commute and light trail riding while I work on my dirt riding skills.

XR400/650R's shouldn't be much of a problem to plate...CO is relatively easy as long as you have your bike squared away.
thaOrleanyte is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived thaOrleanyte!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-16-2019, 01:09 AM   #14
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Just keep in mind the WR250 R and F are totally different bikes. I'd replace my XR4 with a F in a hearbeat, but the 400 has better road legs. I really like how nimble my buddies F feels in the woods, but it's not really any lighter than my 400 and the seat is horrible. I can't get excited about an R. Except maybe as a sumo.

But after it all washes out...any thumper is always fun as hell
This user High Fived shinyribs!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-16-2019, 09:28 PM   #15
mcantar
Fuck it, let's do it live

CF Pimp
mcantar's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 44
Flipped Off 20 Times in 19 Posts
mcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympusmcantar sits atop olympus

I'm very biased here but I reckon a Hypermotard with TKC80's and a fork revalve/swap would be perfect.

Hypermotard 1100S the weight-shavening.
Bandit 1200 cafe/fighter that will never get finished at this rate.
Turbo Busa v2 2017 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa V1.2 2016 Buildoff.
Turbo Busa v1.1
919 Hornet build'n'flip, lotsa electrical diagnostic info in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
Everything should be turbo'd, and what the fuck is a budget?
mcantar is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived mcantar!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-16-2019, 11:22 PM   #16
thaOrleanyte
Jarhead Supreme

thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!thaOrleanyte is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
Just keep in mind the WR250 R and F are totally different bikes. I'd replace my XR4 with a F in a hearbeat, but the 400 has better road legs. I really like how nimble my buddies F feels in the woods, but it's not really any lighter than my 400 and the seat is horrible. I can't get excited about an R. Except maybe as a sumo.

But after it all washes out...any thumper is always fun as hell
Ya gotta drink the 250 kool aid to get excited about the WRR. Seems like they give it out at the dealership when you buy one, because every owner praises the shit out of the bike. Maybe it's a little bit of guys defending their choice, but they are enthusiastic to the point of religious. Well, so are KLR guys....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcantar View Post
I'm very biased here but I reckon a Hypermotard with TKC80's and a fork revalve/swap would be perfect.

thaOrleanyte is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived thaOrleanyte!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-16-2019, 11:45 PM   #17
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaOrleanyte View Post
Ya gotta drink the 250 kool aid to get excited about the WRR. they are enthusiastic to the point of religious. Well, so are KLR guys....]
Haha I rode the shit out of a KLR for a year. Swapped on XR650R forks and jumbled around some Honda brake parts to bolt on a bit larger front rotor. Shaved a bit of weight and ended up around 375lbs wet. It actually wasn't horrible, but it was still awfully top heavy. But it was nice getting an easy 250 miles out of a tank of fuel. 300 miles if you tried or stayed off the interstate. KLR guys call that bike a tractor, but it actually makes better power spun up some. Kawi fucked up by not giving those bikes enough bottom end and putting way too tall of a 1st gear. They had way deeper 1st & 2nd gears back when they were KLE's. I still have one of those gearsets I never swapped in.

The WRR is a solid bike. I wasn't trying to bash it. They are stupid reliable and will fly down the open road better than any other stock DS out there. I wouldn't be ashamed to own one, but it wouldn't thrill me as a woods bike. That's not what you want anyway.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-19-2019, 02:08 AM   #18
Auser6guy
NoObie
Noobie
Local Time: 05:16 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Auser6guy is a good noobieAuser6guy is a good noobie

It sounds like you want a dirt bike with more grunt....There’s a guy that does custom Versys’ which might not be exactly what your looking for but its worth a read for the mods alone - Google v649HP for more info.
Auser6guy is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Auser6guy!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 04-19-2019, 09:27 PM   #19
thaOrleanyte
Jarhead Supreme

If I get into the woods, it will be on my little bike.

" ...motor from a ER6-N... fork brake, brake lines, and 49mm fully adjustable front forks from a Suzuki DRZ400S, a shock from a Yamaha R1, 19″ front wheel from a Suzuki V-Strom 1000, 17″ rear wheel from a Suzuki SV650, rear swingarm and front fender from a Ninja 650R, KTM 990 headlight/windscreen, dual LED aux lights, aluminum radiator guard, ProTaper ATV bars, Cycra hand guards, and plenty more."

Not to shabby. DRZ Forks??? Wonder why he chose those. Probably fork diameter. I'll have to dig in his build thread....it's loooooong though.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/v649h...runner.644390/

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Dirty Tards & Minis