Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

a0eight's 04 GSXR Streetfighter build.

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  gsx-mutattack28 
#1 ·
Hey CF forumers,

Ive been lurking around the forum for a while admiring everyones builds and have always wanted a sick SF bike. I had a 2007 CBR600rr before that we had purchased new and it was always too pretty to tear down so I never committed to it. Well earlier in the year i ended up selling the bike to a shop in exchange for a Harley Davidson project there (which has been a total nightmare - ask me about it later - worst experience ever and still no finished
Harley 8 months later).... Anyway.... i have been itching to ride like hell and decided i was going to just crack down, sell all my toys and buy a used Streetbike to fighterize.

I searched craigslist up and down for about 2 weeks and looked at a couple different bikes.. i I ended up with a 2004 Suzuki GSXR. its missing its upper fairings/headlight etc but I wanted to fighter it anyway and its got a few other issues here and there. I was most stoked about this one because it has a pretty good looking tail end already (IMO). not sure if the taillight is stock but its LED looking - honestly better than the TL my 07 600RR had.

My plans for the bike after registration/insurane of course, are

- relocate the Coolant overflow reservoir
- Trim the mid fairings.
- passenger seat cowl
- paint everything gloss white.
- fix the left gear set mount
- Big round headlight** (this was my intention but the current one is really growing on me)
- install clipons with 2" rise or DB bars/risers, extended cables etc.
- crash cage
- bigger gearing

probably some other odds and ends as well - we'll see..

Here is how the bike stands right as i bought it.

See less See more
#3 ·
10-21-14

Today I made it to the DMV and got everything situated with the title and registration and then came home and phoned everything in with the insurance company. I didn't want to really start anything until i had that done thinking i may need the bike to get inspected or something.. i never know with California. So now i can officially start in on the bike.

I started by taking off the rear subframe brace, only 3 of the bolts matched. i took off the seat, there was a bolt missing on the right side. and took out the front two bolts for the tank, I'm trying to get in there where i can find room to relocated the coolant overflow. the rear "hinge" where the tank should be bolted had no bolt at all.. looks like this thing needs some bolts. so i ordered a bolt kit from ebay. hopefully it has what i need. i also cut about a half inch of the coolant tubing so i can take it to the store to get more. it looks like there will be enough room to re-use the stock colorant overflow but ill have to get it apart and mocked up to really tell for sure.

thats all i had time for today.

#4 ·
yesteraday i removed the subframe brace and lower fairings. i also relocated the coolant reservoir under the tank. i just used the old one and bought longer tubing. i accidentally broke the outlet so i couldn't attach a venting hose but i will replace the bottle later. i also broke the fuel line, it seems I'm into breaking things on this bike. i had to rig it but i ordered a new one of those as well..

Today i cleaned everything up and trimmed the fairings and re-installed them, they are covered in plastidip so i am going to have a good time removing that so i can paint them. i also purchased everything to paint the tank but won't have time to get started until saturday. i plan to paint the tank start to finish. then the tail fairing start to finish, then the "belly pan" and be done.

still debating on the headlight. what do you guys think?

heres how it sits

#10 ·
yea its not really the vision i have in my head anyway.. i like that its unique, i don't see a lot of fighters with this light, I've actually never seen one but some of you may have.

anyone know the headlight bracket size for the fork tubes on this bike. i found that the clipons are 50mm but the fork is thicker where the headlight would mount.:ebay:

#6 ·
Looking better already man!

So you aren't planing on keeping that led light? If it were me I'd do a number board type thing with that light. But I also only do minimal riding at night...

#7 ·
How much for the sub cage? My buddy got one of these and I bent his a while ago pancaking a wheelie, early Christmas present for him

Bike looks good. Other than the headlight, if that helps

#12 ·
im not sure, i figured id put it back on there someday i do plan to stunt it, i wanted one that reached further back though, let me talk to a guy here that builds them and see if it would be worth it to modify this one or just start with a fresh design. if not ill let it go for probably $75 plus shipping

#8 ·
Looks like a good start to me, if you plan on ditching that light send me a pm. I've been thinking of some ideas for my headlight and that would be perfect. How is the output at night? Got any night pics?

#15 ·
so i finally got a chance to replace the fuel line i had broken and i installed a new tank hinge bolt. it baffles me why anyone would ever take that out but whatever.. heres how i had it rigged. it wasn't very solid but got me to work and back a few times.

i also went to install frame sliders and realized there is a bolt broken off in the block. not sure i if i wanna try drilling it out myself or just have a local shop do it. i think I'm going to start preparing the tank for paint today

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.