Smoker's Custom Motard - Page 157 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Smoker's Custom Motard

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-02-2019, 03:59 AM   #1561
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:02 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: Smoker's Custom Motard

I use one of the pencil torches that Harbor Freight sells. Used to be about $8 and using a flame gives damn near instant joints.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-02-2019, 11:55 AM   #1562
Larry02ACR
Fighterer
Larry02ACR's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:02 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 1 Time in 1 Post
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

I've always used these crimp splices and good heat shrink, but the money you would save on a soldering iron would be spent on a crimping tool...

http://www.cycleterminal.com/splice-terminals.html

Always a trade off. With solder you have to make sure you get a good hot, shiny joint, and with the crimps you have to make sure that they are crimped properly so the wires cannot pull free.

As to which is better? You'll find differing opinions on it, but keep in mind the manufacturers pretty much crimp everything... YMMV.
Larry02ACR is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Larry02ACR!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-02-2019, 03:28 PM   #1563
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:02 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

OEM's dont have the time to solder joints. They are pumping out stuff fast as they can sell it. They also don't want their products to last forever, putting them out of a job. Nothing against crimps, just playing Devil's Advocate. There's arguments for & against both methods. I do both depending on what I'm doing.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived shinyribs!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-02-2019, 04:07 PM   #1564
Smoker
BLACK BELT

Smoker's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 11:02 PM
Flip Offs: 34
Flipped Off 13 Times in 12 Posts
Smoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on hereSmoker spends too much time on here

I'm afraid of using crimp splices, only because of lack of experience.

I did a little wire soldering in Bancroft Junior High electric shop.

Thanks, Larry for helping me along.

I might I have one of those pencil torches somewhere. Will poke around and see if I can find it.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Smoker!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #1565
Larry02ACR
Fighterer
Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Larry02ACR is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
There's arguments for & against both methods. I do both depending on what I'm doing.
That there is. I think the most important thing is, if you are doing crimps, get a good crimping tool and make sure your crimps are done properly. If you are doing solder, make sure you don't get cold joints. I'd support either with quality heat shrink regardless.

This is a pretty good article about it:

https://millennialdiyer.com/articles...imp-or-solder/
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-02-2019, 04:10 PM   #1566
Larry02ACR
Fighterer
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
I'm afraid of using crimp splices, only because of lack of experience.
With a good crimper and a little practice, they are much easier and faster than soldering.

I believe each method has it's proper place, but with stranded wire in a possibly high heat and high vibration area I personally prefer crimping.

Shiny's right though, everyone is going to have their preference and reasons for one method or another.
This user High Fived Larry02ACR!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes