Doomed to Fail: The SteamRat Build! - Page 23 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Doomed to Fail: The SteamRat Build!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #221
Fight Everything
Rollin hard in Wiscompton

CF Pimp
Fight Everything's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:54 AM
Flip Offs: 55
Flipped Off 45 Times in 35 Posts
Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 
Default Re: Doomed to Fail: The SteamRat Build!

Alright, I'm gonna be changing directions a little bit here. Not stopping this bike, but I'm not building it for myself either.

I picked up the GR650, haven't ridden it yet, but I like the reviews of the model, I like how it sits, and I've got some ideas for things once it's been put back to daily status.With that said, as some people know, my life isn't just me anymore. I'm getting married next year, and with that comes a stepson. I'm a big dude in America, not a skinny guy in India. I can't fit 3 to a bike lol.

So I want to do something special for the wife. She's disabled, doesn't have full use of her left arm/hand, and reduced use of her left leg. Palsy is a motherfucker. So I'm switching this build to be for her. I'm gonna build it out as a trike.

Still keeping the Kohler, though down the road I may replace it with a twin. But I'm gonna have to go with a TC/CVT after all, since she wont be able to modulate the belt drive I was going to do.

Now to start collecting some new parts!

I'm not worried abou this change in the direction. The GR650 will be a great bike, and I still have the Madura too. Party on!
Fight Everything is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Fight Everything!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #222
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:54 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 117 Times in 104 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Sucks that your lady has to deal with these issues, but it's very cool what you have in mind for her.
shinyribs is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #223
Fight Everything

CF Pimp
Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Fight Everything is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Had some ideas on where to start with the trike conversion. I'm looking at doing this one of two ways. Keep the engine sideways, run a CVT, and chain drive, or face the engine forward, and use the original coupler to run a shaft drive.

If I go option 1: I can use the ring carrier out of a differential, bolt a sprocket to it instead of a ring gear, but then I have to worry about keeping the spider gears lubed, which wouldn't be hard. Pack carrier full of grease, and make a cup that covers the carrier and seals it.

If I go option 2: I could use the entire differential from something small, like an older CRV, Rav4, or Escape.

Either way allows the wheels to slip instead of having a locked axle. Yes, this is a little more complicated than the basic chain and straight axle. But I want this to roll as smooth and simple as possible for the wife.

Is this even worth the trouble to do it this way? As opposed to just a basic solid axle? I was looking at building a new frame backhalf so that I could run an IRS, locate the differential in the frame and run custom shorty CV axles.

I've got plenty of wheel choice. 8 or 10 inch riding mower/golf cart wheels, 17 and 18 inch car wheels, and I can get my hands on just about anything in between.
Fight Everything is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-06-2019, 04:09 PM   #224
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyribs View Post
Sucks that your lady has to deal with these issues, but it's very cool what you have in mind for her.
Bro, to see her walking down the street, or at her job, you'd almost never know. She tends to hide her left hand as much as possible, and she walks with a bit of a limp. Think Radar from MASH. But she works, refuses to just live on disability alone. She's a phenomenal person and a colossal pain in my ass lol

But she strives for success. She's 2 degrees into schooling, one more to go. She's smart as fuck. End goal is to be curator or similar at a museum. Meanwhile, I'm mere Scruffy McWrenchalot, eating crayons and beating square pegs into round holes lol
These people High Fived Fight Everything!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #225
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Everything about that post is awesome ^^^

On the trike rear end, would it best to have it the width of the axles you mentioned, our would a quad rear axle work better?

Quad axle would be easy since it's already chain drive, but might be hard to find one that's not locked. Gearing would probably be low, but if you're planning on running motorcycle wheels on the rear that may equal out.

A shaft does seem easy, but most ring and pinion diffs eat alot of power. It's nothing for a full size truck axle to eat 15hp or more. I don't know about small car axles, but you may run out of power. But it'd be a very light vehicle, so you may get away with running something thin like motor oil or ATF vs thick gear oil.

You could go sorta Canam style with a single chain driven rear wheel and run to tires up front. Though that may not be the aesthetic you want. Reverse trikes are kinda weird looking.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-06-2019, 11:58 PM   #226
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Quote:
Everything about that post is awesome ^^^

On the trike rear end, would it best to have it the width of the axles you mentioned, our would a quad rear axle work better?

Quad axle would be easy since it's already chain drive, but might be hard to find one that's not locked. Gearing would probably be low, but if you're planning on running motorcycle wheels on the rear that may equal out.

A shaft does seem easy, but most ring and pinion diffs eat alot of power. It's nothing for a full size truck axle to eat 15hp or more. I don't know about small car axles, but you may run out of power. But it'd be a very light vehicle, so you may get away with running something thin like motor oil or ATF vs thick gear oil.

You could go sorta Canam style with a single chain driven rear wheel and run to tires up front. Though that may not be the aesthetic you want. Reverse trikes are kinda weird looking.
I forgot to post pics!

If I go with the first option, a chain drive differential, I would be using the ring gear carrier from a regular differential, but a small one like a Ford Escape or a Rav4. I've got the pic attached this time. Hence why I would make a "cap" to put over the carrier to hold grease in.

As for option 2, yes, driveshaft and differential eat power. Absolutely. Kind of why I don't really wanna go that route.

I've been looking at quad axles, but they all appear to be solid axle, no side to side slip. I've ridden a trike kit before, you REALLY gotta go slow on corners with the solid axle type. If I do the proposed IRS w/ differential, the trike can still lean side to side, and the unlocked wheels wouldn't drag when pulling the corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45903a0e8150582a0c7a91cdcceabd0b.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	105302  
This user High Fived Fight Everything!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-07-2019, 07:42 AM   #227
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
Fighter of the Month 

That makes sense now.

Hey, if you run a setup like that, what if you just let one wheel be driven all the time and one just be a coaster- eliminating the need for the spider gears altogether.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-07-2019, 10:40 AM   #228
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:54 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Fighter of the Month 

I know some utility quads are IRS, don't know if they have diffs.

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, FE570, FS570, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #229
Fight Everything

CF Pimp

Quote:
That makes sense now.

Hey, if you run a setup like that, what if you just let one wheel be driven all the time and one just be a coaster- eliminating the need for the spider gears altogether.
I feel like that would make it pull to one side for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I know some utility quads are IRS, don't know if they have diffs.
Most that I've looked up have full differentials, but not the kind with a carrier like above. They're more the quick change style.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 06-07-2019, 12:54 PM   #230
Junkie
re-tarded
CF Addict
Junkie's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 05:54 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
Junkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to beholdJunkie is a splendid one to behold
Fighter of the Month 

not sure what you mean by "full differentials"

A steering damper dampens steering oscillations. If it starts to leak, it may become a steering dampener. There's no such thing as a dampner.

Bikes: naked SV1000 with all the possible bling, FE570, FS570, 450XCF SM trackbike
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes