93 Kan-o-wtf Teapot katana 600 - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > 93 Kan-o-wtf Teapot katana 600

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-23-2015, 12:09 AM   #1
binx77
Fighter
binx77's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:03 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
binx77 is a name known to allbinx77 is a name known to allbinx77 is a name known to allbinx77 is a name known to allbinx77 is a name known to allbinx77 is a name known to allbinx77 is a name known to allbinx77 is a name known to allbinx77 is a name known to allbinx77 is a name known to allbinx77 is a name known to all
Default 93 Kan-o-wtf Teapot katana 600

So ive been off the forum for quite awhile. had my 95 yzf, got hit by a toyota with no lights on at night. bought a 96 bandit 1200 (so far my favorite for its engine and ride) which got raped by a Ford Explorer cutting through an intersection (gotta love some So Cal drivers). took a break for a couple years and now im back at it.
Bought this 93 katana 600 a month ago ish for a nice little commuter and just to toy with. WIfe said we had to share so i couldnt chop anything until i got her a bike. luckily a buddy i work with had to go to the east coast for about 6 months and wanted to sell his zx6 for cheap. tada, anyways so i got to cutting plastics, subframes and such.

Now judge all you want but i have an apartment with no garage (just my patio after i push the bikes through the living room), close neighbors that hate loud noises (so no fun tools like grinders and i cant weld so thats on hold) so with my limits i just decided to have fun with it, thats what its all about right?

So here she is on day 1, didnt take many pictures but it was pretty much all stock from 93

so then i started just taking it apart, sounds like usual starting point

as you can see my massive amounts of space to work and everything....

so just basicly bought an offroad HID headlight, dont ride at night so just wanted to be seen during the day,

tested it out that afternoon in the parking lot and was seeing spots for awhile afterwards (yea not the brightest thing to do but i wanted to see how bright it was)

so since it was blinding i aimed it pretty far down, can still be seen during the day but not a blinding light in the afternoon times.

so then i took off the tail plastics just to see what was underneath and such

kept her like this for awhile, no time to play and no plans set. so far this was my only way to work since mom and baby had the car so it was only a what i can do on the weekend project

kept my idiot lights and speedo so far.

more pics and updates to follow, finally finished it this weekend but trying to get this all in on one night with making supper and a screaming baby.
binx77 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived binx77!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-23-2015, 12:45 AM   #2
binx77
Fighter
binx77 is a name known to allbinx77 is a name known to allbinx77 is a name known to allbinx77 is a name known to allbinx77 is a name known to allbinx77 is a name known to allbinx77 is a name known to allbinx77 is a name known to allbinx77 is a name known to allbinx77 is a name known to allbinx77 is a name known to all
Default Re: 93 Kan-o-wtf Teapot katana 600

so bought some tires since the rear literally had harley davidson on it and was pretty hard/square and the front was just as horrible. got some battle ax tires, loved them on my bandit so thought why not give them another shot

so got some reflective rim tape, (custom taylor 33) which came with a lil bike logo and some stars so wife thought they would make good helmet decoration

pics are with flash on to show the ?reflectiveness?

so after a horrible idea to ride to phoenix and back ( left from oceanside and was going for sister in laws bridal shower and her husband was having a ride that day so thought why not) anyways after we got back i decided to just start chopping and make myself fix it

so thought maybe use the rear seat since it fit nicely with the brake light but really hated that gap so i would have to mess with it (used the search function a lot to find useful DIY)

or use original front seat, i liked the lip on the back and its comfy, it fit the tank well but not the rear end and it seemed big to me.

also on the ride back from phoenix i saw oil was seeping from the bike somewhere so i bought the gaskets for this side and turns out a previous owner kinda forgot the gasket here

now where to cut the tail. i needed to keep some for the rear sets and enough to keep it stable for my seat since i cant weld up anything at this moment.

but with work, and chores around the house and everything else she had to sit for awhile in between free time

during this tho i looked at quite a few builds for inspiration. dont remember the names on here but i remember it involved ugly betty or uglier betty and a topic called bob kats since i really wanted to just chop the tail and have the least amount back there.

finally got around to taking the jig saw (loud, cheap, on hand, got the job done so yep) and took some spray paint, not really much care for paint jobs at the moment either, just kinda messing around with ideas but i think it turned out decent. painted the battery box since it got rusted and corrosion from an exploded battery and then the tank.

going for a light matte, flat, semi gloss green. first thought was kinda like kawasaki green but they didnt have that in spray can form so oh well..

so with the change in color i had to buy some green rim tapes, luckily wifes bike is red so she gets the helmet and the red tape. but here it is with out flash, just in the shade

flash on, same time of day

got the tank clear coated with semi gloss clear coat, liking the look even if its spray can, finished the front wheels and now another night down

so thanks to lowes for my "custom seat subframe thing" used some thicker steel brackets and grade 8 5/16 bolts to keep me from falling down

look from the back, baby laysie and mom came out to help

laysie helping tighten down the tank

picked up a seat from an SV possibly, thanks Rev Moto for that one and also the tail light from some honda thing

a quick mock up before final bolts and such

in the end we bent the metal a bit more, mounted the tail light upside down to get a better angle

next is a trip to warners muffler for some baffles and packing because dear lord this bike is loud with it cut. surprisingly seems to run better, think it was rich before, but want some baffle to keep the exhaust valves from burning up and what not. anyways wanted pods, researched, now keeping stock box, i liked the exaust the ugliest betty had i believe it was venturemorerite or something like that, sorry if i butchered your name. but i gotta leave it at this. hopefully more in 2 weeks with the next pay day.
These people High Fived binx77!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-23-2015, 01:15 AM   #3
Underachiever
Isn't as dumb as he seems
Senior Fighterer
Underachiever's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:03 AM
Flip Offs: 4
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
Underachiever has a brilliant futureUnderachiever has a brilliant futureUnderachiever has a brilliant futureUnderachiever has a brilliant futureUnderachiever has a brilliant futureUnderachiever has a brilliant futureUnderachiever has a brilliant futureUnderachiever has a brilliant futureUnderachiever has a brilliant futureUnderachiever has a brilliant futureUnderachiever has a brilliant future

In before everyone tells you that you're going to die because of your subframe.

I like the paint color, though.

TOTAL noob... To riding and here.
-Curvy Ratty Fighter: Beat to hell 2001 SV650 Naked
-Crusty: 1986 Yamaha Radian "cafeish" project
-1966 Ford Galaxie coupe
-1995 Jeep Cherokee

Sold:
-1976 Formula 255 cabin cruiser with twin 351 Windsors
Underachiever is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived Underachiever!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-23-2015, 01:56 AM   #4
binx77
Fighter

Since wife went back to work she takes her bike and I drop off the baby so it's just gets to sit in the parking lot. Waiting on a guy from work to get back so he can weld up something better, it feels pretty sturdy for what it is. And thanks, I like the look of matte/semi gloss.
So it's a temp subframe, more of a mock up than functionality, But I like the position of seat and brake light and it seems stable
need to get a new chain, this one is pretty beat up
need to figure out exhaust system, way way too loud especially for California laws
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-23-2015, 08:15 AM   #5
n0regret5
Commander Cool
n0regret5's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 08:03 PM
Flip Offs: 488
Flipped Off 214 Times in 150 Posts
n0regret5 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!n0regret5 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!n0regret5 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!n0regret5 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!n0regret5 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!n0regret5 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!n0regret5 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!n0regret5 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!n0regret5 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!n0regret5 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!n0regret5 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

It's mostly that the bending moment for the subframe is in front of where most of your weight will be. You would be best off putting some gussets under the (now) bottom rails for strength. I do like how you've made the new upper frame though.

n0regret5 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-25-2015, 01:39 PM   #6
binx77
Fighter

ok so been slow at work for a bit and took some close up pics of the temp sub frame I have on the bike now.

heres original

heres what ive been trying to figure out

so here is the break down

GREEN- steel pieces that are hidden by the seat, front part supports the gas tank and is bolted to the flat steel that goes under seat and connects to the back brackets where my tail light is

RED- pretty much keeping it but just adding a support to the lower rail, I would have my buddy weld up the steel brackets and such that I currently am using and add some other pieces to stiffen it up ( mainly the 2 90degree ones on the back side)

BLUE- get rid of whole thing all the way to the frame, weld new pipe from there back and bend or put a cross bar where the current 90degree bends are at that way it keeps the seat angle and gives me a place to mount the brake light ect.

YELLOW- would be an addition to the blue if you guys think it would be needed. I have never chopped up a tail like this and ive never had to pretty much re design the strength needed to keep me from falling on my back tire so I don't know whats overkill and what would work.

heres a different angle, im also concerned if the two lower rails will bend outward/deform so if I end up using them should I cap them, add a cross bar on the end, add a support from them to the middle of the 90degree bends, something else? of course if I go with something else this may not even be an issue

also for the exhaust im really leaning to a DIY baffle set up like venturesomerite or another thought I had was to keep most of the stock pipe but cut slots in it and weld in half a fender washer every so often like this site has http://www.gadgetjq.com/vhbagger_shhh.htm <about half way down the page
and then slip a slightly larger pipe over it to hide the weld marks and have a 45degree turn out to the side or down (still deciding)

has anyone else messed with this type of baffling? ive seen some posts use the baffle tube wrapped in packing material but some say it hasn't quieted their bike down enough...
This user High Fived binx77!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #7
4cups

On a structural note triangulation is what you really need for a simple strong subframe, there are other fancy ways of doing it but a simple triangle both sides with supports across to hold you tank seat etc is by far the easiest & stongest basic structure

So if that made sense to you...... the blue line is fine the red could come up to meet it at the rear in a point & the yellow wont be needed, the green hidden supports can be any how you want as long as they are strong enough for the job .... I cap my tubes either with cross supports or plastic bungs or welded steel discs depending on the look I am after, I also drill a small hole on the underside of each tube to allow welding gasses or any moisture to escape ...... these can be capped later if you want although I rarely bother

Exhausts a removable perforated baffle tube & packing is the way to go you can always remove it & weld restricting washers in at a later date if needed
  Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived !
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-25-2015, 08:00 PM   #8
tsukuyomi79
0.o i didn't do it

CF Addict
tsukuyomi79's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 2
Flipped Off 11 Times in 9 Posts
tsukuyomi79 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tsukuyomi79 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tsukuyomi79 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tsukuyomi79 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tsukuyomi79 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tsukuyomi79 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tsukuyomi79 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tsukuyomi79 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tsukuyomi79 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tsukuyomi79 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!tsukuyomi79 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

You could do what I did an mod some of the sub frame you cut off and repurpose for the frame support ( welding required)
tsukuyomi79 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-25-2015, 08:02 PM   #9
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
F'dup's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 35
Flipped Off 9 Times in 9 Posts
F'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

Here's what I would do, I'm not claiming to be Mr. Fabricator here but with the right material I think this would be strong.

I'd keep the blue line like you have it but run a steeper angle on the red to meet it and weld that end like "4cups" was talking about. Then the yellow is some gussets, in the front it's like the rail is supported from the factory and then the yellow in the rear ties the two together. Obviously you'd need some cross bracing too...

2017 build off sv650 build thread <---Click here

SV650 b.s.'n and post build off progress on the bike thread thread <---Click here

DR650 supermoto build <--click

2000 R6 build <--click

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_Raz View Post
A bit of vaseline should lube your bush up real nice though. Just make sure that your shaft is a good fit.
F'dup is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-25-2015, 08:27 PM   #10
4cups

yeah that's pretty much what I was getting at F'dup! I would use tube on the rear brace between the main supports & a much smaller brace plate at the front probably with a hole in it for looks

If you really wanted to get a little fancy & have the tools you could bend the blue to go up towards the tank & then flatter under the seat, but as in the above pic is fine
  Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived !

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes