2000 SV650 with Ducati monster seat - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > 2000 SV650 with Ducati monster seat

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-08-2015, 06:50 PM   #1
claytonisbob
Fighter
claytonisbob's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 12:49 PM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
claytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really nice
Default 2000 SV650 with Ducati monster seat

So I've been working on a 2000 SV650 for the last month or so I got at the end of last year. I'm a 260lb tall guy so I knew some modifications to the seating position were in order. Unfortunately someone whacked a big dent in the top of the tank and busted the tail up a little bit. Somone already stuck a Kawasaki zx rear shock in it and evidently some kind of weird valve emulators in the forks. I'll have to take a picture later, never seen them before.

First thing I did was replace the brakes. The stockers felt really wooden/crappy. I'm not sure if this is just how SV's are, or something was wrong with them. I got a "Brembo" master from a R1 and a set of early 2000's GSXR calipers. I used some adapters and brake lines from SV Racing Parts.

Then it was on to the forks. I got some RaceTech gold valves, (I think) 1kg/mm springs, and new fork seals since they were leaking a little bit. Someone once told me you shouldn't hang your brakes like this... woops.

From there I decided to ditch the seat (which evidently I didn't take any pictures of the bike before I started messing with it).

After I finish welded it up, I painted it.

New brake res.

How it basically turned out. I used a lot of the original subframe and brackets to make it. I was going to use a smaller tail light, but I found a way to use the stock one and thought why not.

Now I have to figure out the exhaust. I plan on using the D&D can and pipes, but I think the exhaust looks too droopy, and I need top figure out how to hang it with a subframe that is much higher. It's not horrible, but it seems like it'd be weird to have a tube or something go a foot down to the can.

Playing around with photoshop to shorten the can and kick it up slightly

IDK if I should also go higher. What do you guys think? This bike is one of my tamer projects, but it's such a great bike to ride I had to put my spin on it.

Oh and I do have a cowl for the seat, and I have a tank thats in nice condition with a couple small dents I need to fix. I'm probably going to keep it this way until I can paint the new tank, cowl and front fender.

1992 GSXR 7/12 - Build Thread
1981 Yamaha XV920R cafe Build Thread
2000 SV650 Rando upgrades
claytonisbob is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived claytonisbob!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-09-2015, 01:53 AM   #2
claytonisbob
Fighter
claytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really niceclaytonisbob is really nice
Default Re: 2000 SV650 with Ducati monster seat

This is one of the valve emulators(?) that were in my forks when I rebuilt them. It had stock springs, not sure how much good these did as I was way too heavy for the springs anyway and the bike dove pretty bad when braking.

claytonisbob is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-09-2015, 07:20 AM   #3
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
F'dup's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:49 PM
Flip Offs: 35
Flipped Off 9 Times in 9 Posts
F'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonisbob View Post
This is one of the valve emulators(?) that were in my forks when I rebuilt them. It had stock springs, not sure how much good these did as I was way too heavy for the springs anyway and the bike dove pretty bad when braking.

Looks like "ricor intiminator"....

No idea if they are good in sv650's or not

2017 build off sv650 build thread <---Click here

SV650 b.s.'n and post build off progress on the bike thread thread <---Click here

DR650 supermoto build <--click

2000 R6 build <--click

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_Raz View Post
A bit of vaseline should lube your bush up real nice though. Just make sure that your shaft is a good fit.
F'dup is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-09-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
claytonisbob
Fighter

Thanks, that's it! Surprised these things are more expensive than RT emulators. There were no modifications to the dampening rod so I'm not sure how effective they are.

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-09-2015, 10:37 PM   #5
gsx-mutattack28
Blood,Sweat N Beers
CF Lover
gsx-mutattack28's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 8
Flipped Off 3 Times in 2 Posts
gsx-mutattack28 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsx-mutattack28 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsx-mutattack28 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsx-mutattack28 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsx-mutattack28 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsx-mutattack28 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsx-mutattack28 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsx-mutattack28 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsx-mutattack28 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsx-mutattack28 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!gsx-mutattack28 is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

very effective, rider preference, weight, bike weight.. all pays a factor

Gsx-Zx6-Gsxr streamlines build. http://www.customfighters.com/forums...d.php?t=104129

"the fire burning down my happiness, but i will RISE!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiemann View Post
If everything made sense we wouldnt be building and modding bikes
gsx-mutattack28 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-10-2015, 07:47 AM   #6
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 07:49 PM
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

monster seats look cool on everything
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-10-2015, 09:47 AM   #7
CK 187
CAPTAIN AWESOMEŽ

CK 187's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Flip Offs: 631
Flipped Off 470 Times in 171 Posts
CK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too muchCK 187 plays with their repper too much
Default Medal Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity Supporter of the Streetfighter Build for Charity 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh View Post
monster seats look cool on everything

Fuckin right they do
CK 187 is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 07-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
claytonisbob
Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsx-mutattack28 View Post
very effective, rider preference, weight, bike weight.. all pays a factor
I did some reading on them, it sounds like they work well mostly for stock spring rate bikes. I suppose I can try to sell them (if anyone on here wants them).

What do you guys think about me making a bracket off the right heel guard to hang the muffler? I've got some scrap aluminum and I've been dying to try out my new tig machine on AC.

Like this:

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-17-2015, 05:35 PM   #9
claytonisbob
Fighter

So I'm finally finishing up my SV.

Shortened the muffler. I went over the clearcoat with some polishing compound which removed a lot of the yellowing. Not 100%, but better.

I also chopped/cut and rewelded the pipe to angle up more. The hole on the exhaust hanger clamp was too big for the size bolts I wanted to use, so I welded it closed and redrilled it. I also cut it off and welded it to be inline with the rearset guard.

Other than that the bracket was a short piece of steel I cut and drilled on both ends. It seems to put enough pressure on the muffler to keep it from moving. I know the heel guard isn't all that strong so I'll see how this holds up. If I have to I'll make a new one out of some 6061.

I have some LED plate bolts that Im going to install so the plate is lit up at night. I also have a Monster seat cowl I'm going to paint when I paint the tank and front fender.

And here she is outside in better light.

You can see how jacked up the tank was when I got it. Thankfully I found another one on the cheap, but it has a small dent I want to fix and repaint before I put gas in it.

This user High Fived claytonisbob!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 08-17-2015, 05:55 PM   #10
Pariah
Stupid motherfucker
Pariah's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 06:49 AM
Flip Offs: 504
Flipped Off 402 Times in 164 Posts
Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Pariah is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!

Are those the stock risers? They look fantastic.

It's not so bad as long as you can keep the fear from your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Looks good, but I would prefer titanium nipples.
Street Triple
Supercharged Street Triple
Pale Horse XJ750
Pariah is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes