Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

The Build With No Name (yet)

9K views 56 replies 15 participants last post by  Vikrant Singh 
#1 ·
I fuckin suck at naming things. It seriously took me almost a month to name my dog. If anyone has any suggestions, have at it. I'd like to have a name to be able to use with it for the 2016 Buildoff.

It's a 2008 Hayabusa that I got a couple weeks ago with 11.5k miles. Belonged to a friend who high sided at low speed. I was there, actually almost went down myself trying to not run into her, so I know it wasn't worse than claimed. Left side plastics, including the left side of the front and tail, are moderately fucked. Mirror and rider peg are/were gone, and windscreen was toast. Mechanically, though, it's great... I'd say perfect, but if I did I'd go out tomorrow and the damn thing wouldn't start.

To date I've replaced the pegs with some ridiculously light GP style pegs and installed a windscreen my friend had lying around, just to make it a little nicer to ride. I took some black duct tape and did what I could with the left side to keep it together til they come off... I'll throw up some pics tomorrow, cause it's dark out right now.

Build goals:
Hayabusa power, without the Hayabusa ugliness. Something unique that's fun to ride. See how much weight I can shave from it.

Plans/ideas, in no particular order (subject to change at any time without any forethought):
- Remove fairings and do associated bullshit (i.e. clean up wiring and coolant overflow).
- Build subframe for tail.
- Find or make a tail. Going for the RC8 look there.
- Make a CF+Kevlar tank, cause this one's dented and I'm too cheap to buy a new one.
- Do something about a headlight... either modify the factory stuff or build my own abomination (project name? The Abomination?)
- CF windscreen, kind of necessary.
- Maybe a SSSA. Maybe.
- Bars. Straighter ones. Superbike type maybe?
- Mirrors... difficult for me to find ones I don't hate.
- Set the suspension properly.
- Dash/gauges, depending on how the factory unit flows with whatever I come up with for the front end.
- Lights. As in underglow. Don't hate.
- Header wrap maybe.

This thread is mainly for me to get stuff down so I don't forget. I got some head injuries and forget things sometimes. Also to get ideas, any and all input is welcome.
There will be threads in the 2016 Buildoff forum too, once it's created.

See less See more
#2 ·
I found a SSSA from a Speed Triple online for stupid cheap. Wasn't planning on one initially, but the price makes it worth at least serious consideration. BUT, it's just the arm and eccentric thing, so I'd still need to find a sprocket, wheel, and brakes. BUT, the factory Busa stuff is all in great shape and I could get more than enough out of selling them to pay for it all. BUT I don't even know if it'll fit... need to take some measurements on the Busa. I can make anything fit on anything, it's just a matter of work/cost vs benefit, so we'll see.
It'd sure be cool. BUT they generally weigh more than standard swingarms, and I'm trying to save pounds here.
Decisions....

See why I can't fucking name anything?

#4 ·
Pics as promised.
While I was outside taking these just now a thought came to me about the stupid tail hump cowl being a similar shape as the headlight and about the proper size for what I want on the front end... we'll see what comes of that.

Attachments

#7 ·
#8 ·
Thanks for the encouragement guys. No plans for forced induction (yet anyway).

I'm still at work, but I made a little progress on lunch... kind of. Got a hold of the people selling the Speed Triple SSSA and got them to measure it for me, so now I just need to go measure the Busa stuff and go from there.
I did go out and eyeball some measurements for the tail, and then modeled it...

Attachments

#10 ·
Do you have a build thread? I'd be interested in checking out what you've got going on.

#12 ·
Nice, that's gonna be badass starting from a bare frame like that. If you need any factory parts, let me know

#15 ·
Made little pre-Buildoff progress, getting my ducks in a row.
Got the measurements I need for the subframe and tail section.
The Speed Triple SSSA is an inch or so wider than the Busa swingarm, and I don't want it badly enough to do the necessary work to make it fit.
I think I have a way to turbo this bitch for around $100... wasn't planning on forced induction, but it'd almost be a crime not to now.
I just freed up almost $1500 a month, so that'll help significantly with this project.

#19 ·
Ah... my bad. My mind is elsewhere tonight.
Well I can fabricate just about anything made of metal or composite, and have tons (literally) of scrap everything... so the manifold, flanges, mounts, etc. is free. The turbo itself, I can get one off a small displacement import from a junkyard for around $60 (and my dad has one for a SAAB 900 laying around, if I can make that work) so it's just a matter of finding one that's clocked in the most optimal position and spending a few hours in the shop. Everything I'm seeing on the Busa forums says that the stock internals hold up reliably to 300HP and I'd be shooting for much less, around 220-250, so I shouldn't have to do anything there.

#21 ·
a Mitsubishi/Garret t25 (from a 2nd gen DSM) should be able to suit your needs in the turbo department, maybe even a 14b (from a 1st Gen DSM) so long as there's no shaft play. If you do a 14b (which is a little bigger than the t25), you can crush the stock BOV and it will hold pup to approximately 22-25 PSI

#25 ·
Well, no progress on kickoff day. Told my landlord to go fuck off last Thursday and moved all our crap out over the weekend (long story short, they weren't holding up their end of the deal).
BUT this week we should see the fairings off, coolant overflow and wiring taken care of, some junkyard trips, and maybe some fabrication.
Now, off to make the Buildoff threads...

#26 ·
Just in case any fresh blood stumbles across this thread and is interested in the rest of it, the build is continued in the 2016 Buildoff contest forum (link in my sig).

#28 ·
Well I figure I may as well throw the new shit in here until November. Only minor stuff happening until then anyway.

Got a filter condom. This particular brand was very highly recommended around the interwebz and the guy that runs the place was very responsive and seemed to have his shit together. It may not actually do anything, but it helps ease my mind about sucking up water.

Blades look good. The air filter is, apparently, filtering the air well enough.

So I was at my buddy's shop the other day and this... thing... pulled up. T'was an Aprillia Dorsoduro, and having never seen one before I had to go check it out. My first thought was "Man what an unfortunate attempt at a Hypermotard copy."

My next thought was "Man what a great looking fender."

So I found one on eBay and stuck it on the Busa. Surprisingly enough it bolted right on and it wasn't even stubborn about the fitup.
I feels just a tad bit flimsy when pushing it around, and if it gets a little wobbly at speed I'll make up some aluminum to brace it... it physically can't contact the brakes or tire so at worst it could potentially make an annoying buzzing sound. Will try it out tomorrow.

#29 ·
So I was at my buddy's shop the other day and this... thing... pulled up. T'was an Aprillia Dorsoduro, and having never seen one before I had to go check it out. My first thought was "Man what an unfortunate attempt at a Hypermotard copy."

My next thought was "Man what a great looking fender."

So I found one on eBay and stuck it on the Busa. Surprisingly enough it bolted right on and it wasn't even stubborn about the fitup.
I feels just a tad bit flimsy when pushing it around, and if it gets a little wobbly at speed I'll make up some aluminum to brace it... it physically can't contact the brakes or tire so at worst it could potentially make an annoying buzzing sound. Will try it out tomorrow.

Shit that looks good on there. Did you ride the Aprilia? They are a blast. Not quite a hyper, but it's definitely assembled to Aprilias high standards

#31 ·
The Aprillia fender passed the 200mph test, I'd say it's solid :D

#33 ·
You want to buy me a GoPro?

#38 ·
FINE!
Fuckers.
I'll call up my buddy. Or buy a new one. I dunno, either way I'll get you guys something to fap to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.