Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

The Bandito

19K views 146 replies 30 participants last post by  mcantar 
#1 ·
Picked this up today from a local CF member, a '98 1200.

^I stole those pics from his sale thread. No shame.

It's got some good carb work done, some fancy fuel stuff, GSXR1100 forks and a CBR600RR shock.

Gonna go a cafe fighter direction with it. Something along the lines of this, ish...

General plans include pod filters, pie-cut GP style cone exhaust, the tail of course. The forks are the same diameter as Busa forks, so that might lead somewhere. I do have a little turbo lying around unused (was going to go on the 749 I wrecked), but I don't know if I want to fuck around with turbo+carbs. I have a pretty solid vision in my head of where I want to take this one, but as always it will probably change 10 times before completion.

See less See more
#12 ·
Nope, just collecting parts right now. I did swap the bent brake lever for one I pulled off an 08 R6 that was sitting on the shelf, but I didn't think that was worth an update.

This bike is really solid mechanically, so the only real work to be done is aesthetic stuff. Have a nice vintage round headlight on the way and a pie-cut GP style can that I'll stick on after doing up a midpipe to set the can at the proper length and angle.

Nothing's really preventing me from chopping off the tail, but I'd rather my parts get here first. Still deciding if I want to use an eBay tail or order some more carbon and resin for my own creation.

Have a nice vintage round headlight on the way and a pie-cut GP style can that I'll stick on after doing up a midpipe to set the can at the proper length and angle.

Another thing that's up in the air is what to do about the levers/masters. They sit at WAY to high an angle, to the point of being almost unrideable because they keep your wrists bent back and my wrists don't like that, and can't be rotated down because they hit the forks. So the options are to get taller risers and rotate them down, throw some superbike or dirty bars on that have some rise to them, or search around for a set of Ducati radials that SHOULD clear as is... which becomes a debate of how much coin I want to put into this one. And I can't order the stainless brake and clutch lines until I decide on a direction and can get some measurements, so that's on hold too.

What do I do, Mike?

#13 ·
I'd go with new risers, esp if you like the look of the flat bar. New risers are 35 bux...

Emgo Superbike bend bar would be about the same, but you'd lose the flat bar look.

Either way, plan on the brake lines being 1.5-2" longer. Core Moto is awesome for custom lines!

#16 ·
CORE Moto is where I'll go for the brake/clutch lines. I used them for the Busa, their prices were great and their customer service was top notch, and they're now my "go-to" for custom lines.

I think I'm gonna swap bars. I like the drag bars, but I want to lean a little more towards the cafe side on that bit. Not quite clip-ons, but something lower (as in, lower than the top of the triple) and more backswept. Clubmans maybe? Probably not, those are kind of gay. I'll probably end up running upsidedown superbike bars like on the Busa, if they'll clear. I might just take the ones from the Busa and that will motivate me to do the billet bars on that one. We'll see.

Total impulse buy, but I happened upon a fancy 19-row aluminum oil cooler this morning and now it's on the way. Now I need to go to the race shop and pick up some AN fittings and hose.

Also have a generic fiberglass tail on the way cause I made a stupidly low "Best Offer" on it on eBay and the guy accepted it. I'll probably modify it slightly and either use it as-is or use it for a mold for a carbon piece.

Here's a question... those top end 3-way oil contraptions... yea or nay?

#18 ·
CORE Moto is where I'll go for the brake/clutch lines. I used them for the Busa, their prices were great and their customer service was top notch, and they're now my "go-to" for custom lines.

Here's a question... those top end 3-way oil contraptions... yea or nay?

Nay!

Glad ya went and got this Mac' do us proud mate ;)

#17 ·
All parts excluding the bars and brake/clutch lines are on the way or sitting in the garage.
This should be a relatively quick build.

#131 ·
all of the parts have arrived and I have everything I need to strip this thing down and get it built within a week or two (minus one thing that doesn't need to be here to start work).

2.5 years and 2 Buildoff attempts later :doh:

Got no plans tomorrow though...

#20 ·
Nice, a little bit of Bandit love. :rock:

The extra oil lines on the head are pretty useless on the 600, but the 1200s tend to benefit from them if you like to ride hard.

#21 ·
Well outside of some carb stuff to compensate for the pod filters and exhaust, I don't intend on doing any engine work... so the top end oil stuff is out.

Now, is there any benefit to setting up the oil cooler to be top-fed vs. bottom?

#23 ·
Bottom fed it is then.

For filters I have K&N RU-2922's on the way (the oval dual-port ones). They were recommended on another forum. What are your thoughts, Yan? Scrap em for the Ramair foamies?

#24 ·
I have run K&N's , but they're never as good as an airbox, my friends have a dyno business and they hate setting them up, so they are the ones who tried the foam on the standard rubbers, they have done a fair few GSXR / Bandits now this way and unlike the pods once set up on the dyno they behave the same on the road. It's how the bandikat will be going

#25 ·
I run the RU-2922s on my Bandit 600 and they work well. The secret is to put the factory rubber velocity stacks inside them to help the carbs create the vacuum they need.

Also, spend the money for the Stage 2 jet kit from Holeshot. Dale is the defacto Bandit tuning guru and knows his shit.
http://www.holeshot.com/

#26 ·
Duly noted Yan. I'll stuff em on there and run it on the dyno, see where things go. If I have to change them out for foamies, so be it.
Thanks for the tip Capt., I'll pass that on to my tuner. My plan is to build the bike how I want it, and then dump it at my tuner's doorstep and he can work his magic on it. It's going to be the very last set of carbs he has in his shop, cause he hates them as much as I do.

So, good news / bad news.
The good news is that all of the parts have arrived and I have everything I need to strip this thing down and get it built within a week or two (minus one thing that doesn't need to be here to start work).

The bad news is that I have no fucking space.

There's a major sports equipment chain local to me that went out of business, so I hit a few of their stores and got some beefy industrial shelving units from their warehouse (along with some other goodies)... enough to line at least one wall and probably part of another, over 200ft^2 of shelf space. The only problem is that their shit is still on them and I need to wait until they clear that stuff out before I can pick them up, which should be sometime in the next few weeks. Once I have that, I can get organized and make some space to work.

#29 ·
Haven't started yet. I really want to get working on it, maybe I'll start tearing into it today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.