F'dup's "No regerts" 2002 SV650 build - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2017 Winter Buildoff > Bike Build Threads

Bike Build Threads Post yer bike threads in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > F'dup's "No regerts" 2002 SV650 build

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-01-2016, 07:01 PM   #1
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
F'dup's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 03:35 PM
Flip Offs: 35
Flipped Off 9 Times in 9 Posts
F'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 
Default F'dup's "No regerts" 2002 SV650 build

It's time y'all!!!

Back story, and reason for the title. The R6 I built a while back had been finished and I had my fun on it. The decision was made to move on to another build. I always had my eye on SV650's. Most appealing to me was the torque of the v-twin over the top end scream of, especially my 600, inline 4.

So when I had seen a high sided and a bit rough around the edges 02 SV pop up on craigslist I struck as fast as I could. I offered up an even trade for my running, riding, reliable, R6. For a high sided, sort of busted up un-rideable and, when I went to get it, non running SV.... And you know what? No regerts.... Yet

Enough b.s. onto the pictures...

Here she is in current state. Work done already is make a backing plate for mounting broken foot control, pull and replace broken bolt on clip-on, replace choke cable and replace left hand control and choke lever. And some zip ties for shit plastics and "custom" front blinker mounts to get her on the road.

Ummm, no fucking clue... lol...

Pile of goodies next to the bike. Going to have to wait to see what's inside...

Garbage...

More garbage...

Does my ass look straight? Wait...What?

So that's where I'm at, stay tuned for updates...

2017 build off sv650 build thread <---Click here

SV650 b.s.'n and post build off progress on the bike thread thread <---Click here

DR650 supermoto build <--click

2000 R6 build <--click

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_Raz View Post
A bit of vaseline should lube your bush up real nice though. Just make sure that your shaft is a good fit.
F'dup is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-03-2016, 07:37 PM   #2
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
F'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on hereF'dup spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: F'dup's "No regerts" 2002 SV650 build

Pulled some garbage off.

Then I mocked up my seat choice, Buell XB9/12s factory low seat....

Then I just stood there...Yeah, that will work out...

I know y'all love a good mock up tease...

SV650 b.s.'n and post build off progress on the bike thread thread <---Click here

2000 R6 build <--click

Quote:
A bit of vaseline should lube your bush up real nice though. Just make sure that your shaft is a good fit.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #3
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

As seen above, the swingarm that came on these bikes is boxy and plain. With the curvy tube frame and body lines this bike has it just never jived with me. So let's change the swinger.

Not so fast hombre. SV650's have a little bit of a challenging arrangement of things. The shock is offset to the left of center and the rear exhaust pipe runs down next to it through the hole.

The little down spout is what the head pipe attaches to for the rear cylinder.

So I needed something that would allow me to (hopefully) not have to cut off the top shock mount or have to make some crazy and inevitably ugly rear exhaust pipe.

So here's what I came up with. Aprilia rsv/tuono 99-03 model year.

Has the shock mount offset to the left. And I believe the pipe runs through the hole like mine.

By luck the pivot bolts are the same diameter. An aprilia bearing on the aprilia's pivot first, then on the sv's pivot.

Well things can't be that bolt in ya' know...

The pivot is wider than the sv's. By, well more than a bit

So a logical plan was hatched.

Right side has a little meat to grind off before the bearing c-clip groove.

MMk...

Some cast letters and junk sanded out of the way.

And that let me step into the ball park.

So, that's where I left off for now. I need to look at a few things before I go all in and cut off the left and right pivot bosses flush with the frame. I don't want to ruin a frame before I'm 100% sure.

Before I did my swingarm grinding I did a little wood support mock up for you. I think it will look good on there...Got to make this one work.

2000 R6 build <--click

Quote:

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #4
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

Although I don't have a frame jig, I can make a decent try at keeping the new rear some what centered.

The center of my front tire is in the middle of the table lift's wheel clamp. Mark that and measure from one side of the table and work my way down marking center.

Middle of the frame spars marked out on the back of the motor.

Shift the whole bike a hair to get it on my table's mark.

Proceed to cut off the swingarm bosses.

After the little bit of trim from the last post my aprilia swingarm is right around 9-3/4" wide.

With the bosses cut out and filed down to flat with the frame spars I have just under 10". I think this may work!

Normally the two 9mm bearings on the bench go in the end of the swinger that's up.

Aprilia pivot on the "stuff" on the right, SV pivot on the left. Remember they are the same diameter.

Put one of the bearings back in for now. I'm thinking of running one 13mm or so sealed bearing instead of the two 9mm @ 18mm total.

That way the threaded end of the pivot will do it's thing and fit in the end of the swinger and still thread into the frame.

The aluminum spacer goes into the swinger's pivot, then the end spacer goes into chain side of arm.

It sticks out a hair too far. In the end I'll trim down my spacer to make them work. For now though I left the middle aluminum spacer out to get my end length right.

Had to clearance a little of the peg mount area to fit the arm.

Hard to see, but my rear shock doesn't want to jive with the arm. Not a big deal to me though, I really want to ditch this crap shock any way. I'll deal with that later.

So other than running into those issues, she's in.... Barely ... Got about the same amount of clearance on the other side too.

On the bright side though, my exhaust fits perfect in the arm.

And even better for me, the shock mounts line up very nearly perfect to the linkage mount on the swingarm!

2000 R6 build <--click

Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-13-2016, 06:26 PM   #5
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

So, all in all things are working out well. I'll work on my bearing and rear shock issues next. For now here is how she's looking.

According to the rear valve stem I'm very nearly on my center too!

Chain run may be and issue. We'll see on that...

2000 R6 build <--click

Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-15-2016, 08:24 PM   #6
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

Ok, dug around the basement parts horde and pulled out the 99-02 R6 rear shock I had from that build.

R6, with compression and rebound adjustment on the left. Sv stocker with none of the above on the right. This should be a better situation.

Got my wheel up to stock ride height for the SV.

As more luck would have it my top mount is identical between the two! Fits perfectly.

Now my shock clears the inside of the arm. SV's didn't want to work because of how far back the lower mount was. It wouldn't even bolt up.

Fits good with pipe too.

Lower linkage and mount clearly not going to work.

Take it out and offer up the Aprilia linkage.

I'll need some spacers and the right bolt for the lower shock mount, but not too far off.

So here is what I'm thinking on the dog bone. And feel free to let me know what you think in the party and bullshit thread.

Use this lower mount thingy. (no idea what it had on it originally) It's 1/4" thick x about 1-1.5" in size. Pretty sturdy it seems.

If I clearance out the back side as seen by the marker markings, I can get my dog bone up and level.

Then I was thinking making a plate setup to tie it all together with the mount hole above it and then the silver hole I'll bolt the dog bone into place. Crude but general idea ms-paint job.

That all puts the shock nearly straight up and down. Nothing seems to be at a crazy angle.

So any ways, let me know if you think my shock setup seem dangerous in the party and bullshit chat stew thread.

I have a feeling it will work out well though.

Thanks for all the high fives too y'all I appreciate it!

2000 R6 build <--click

Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 11-19-2016, 05:20 PM   #7
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

Today I didn't make any progress on the bike. Physically that is. I did how ever pick up a very key tool for completing this project.

Atlas 618 manual lathe... Fuck yeah...

She is a runner, and seems decently cared for. I've got my machinist friend on the prowl for a 3-jaw chuck and he said he'll get me some more tooling.

I've got to get her setup and working on the quick so I can start doing some parts needed for this build.

All in all I'm freaking pumped. It's a good enough machine for what I'm intending on using for as far as I can tell...

2000 R6 build <--click

Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-07-2016, 10:06 PM   #8
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

After spending some time setting up the lathe, (posted in the party and B.S. thread about that.) I'm back to the bike build.

Rear suspension stuff...

Pilfered a bolt for my R6 bottom shock mount out of the stock SV650 linkage (link to frame bolt.)

Drill out the Aprilia triangle to fit bolt through.

The bolt is pretty long, but it's the perfect diameter for the R6's shock bushing. The non-threaded portion sticks out past triangle a hair.

So make a spacer...

Yay lathe..

And then I remembered the exhaust was somewhere near there too... Booooo..

Back to the drawing board.

Flip the bolt head to the exhaust side, 1/4" off the spacer and 1/4" cut off the bolt. Job done.

Take out the rubber bushing for the potential dog bone plate lower mount.

Turn another piece of aluminum down to size.

Pop her in like it's meant to be.

Can't believe how nice it is having this lathe around for this little B.S.
Freaking loving it....

Thanks for looking and for the high fives too y'all, I appreciate it!

2000 R6 build <--click

Quote:
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-09-2016, 10:13 PM   #9
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

Rethought how I was going to trim that part for the lower dog bone mount. New plan in pic below, old in the last post.

After ALOT of file and deremel work.

Not wanting to remove any more material I had to take a little off the top of the dog bone to get it angled up a hair. I didn't want it to sit level from front to rear.

Sand it smooth.

Side stand switch is going to be in the way.

Not any more.

New plan. (cat food and bubble gum back again y'all ... I'm going to have to work on that.)

Works like a charm though... Chain run MAY be an issue but I have to wait and see, think it's close enough to the front sprocket to be out of the way.

Plenty of room to work with now.

And dog bone will go something like this.

2000 R6 build <--click

Quote:
These people High Fived F'dup!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 12-11-2016, 06:37 PM   #10
F'dup
Hack in a barn

CF Pimp
Fighter of the Month 

Cardboard template in place.

Transfer to 6x3 piece of 1/8" thick aluminum. Tools of the day shown, vertical bandsaw for metal cutting is next on the list, that's for sure...

Duplication jig setup for the other plate.

Pop them in for a look.

New spacers are next up. Material has to be purchased and turned up in the lathe.

A little bit of a bigger picture of how it's looking.

Thanks fer lookin'....

2000 R6 build <--click

Quote:

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > CF Streetfighter Forum Contests > Streetfighter Buildoff > Past Streetfighter Buildoffs > 2017 Winter Buildoff > Bike Build Threads