Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum banner

The HyperRetard!

12K views 91 replies 19 participants last post by  mcantar 
#1 ·
Against all sane advice, I'm gonna start chewing away at the only running bike in the stable. Baby steps, only a couple bits of this build will involve the bike actually being unrideable.

Current plan:

- Headlight. MT03 is still being considered, but I'm strongly leaning towards a number plate design I have in my head.
- Subframe needs to be powdercoated gloss black to match the frame. Alternatively considering coating both frame and subby in dark blood red or in burnt gold-ish.
- Side fairings painted satin black, with the "DUCATI" being redone in the old style font (link) in either white or in the same gold as the maybe-frame color.
- Engine cleaned and painted black, and cleared of wires and peripheral clutter.
- Clean up the bars a bit. Maybe swap a drag bar in if I can find a fatty tapered one.
- Minimal cafe-ish carbon tail bit to replace the stupid whale-tail thing the Italians stuck on there, should cover the back of the subframe eliminating the need for any choppy-weldy.
- Exhaust, maybe. I'm envisioning isolated dual pipes with some cool pie-cut bends and shit dumping at different points... kinda similar to the RSDuc, but less gaudy.... but I have a good bit of math and compromising to do to make that happen. On one hand it already has a ~$3k(!) Termi system on it designed by the pro's to make as much power as possible, and the dual exhaust has the potential to suck a non-trivial amount of power from the engine. On the other hand, selling the Termi stuff would cover my cost in the bike a few times over and the duals would look tits. The cans will look silly sticking out as far as they do with where I want the tail to be, but chopping it up seems unwise. So... we'll see where that goes.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just look at that huge beak! Eewwwwww...

Stripped the front shit off, looks better already.

Number plate maybe general size.

This'll sit here, ish.

#6 ·
U know what would sit in there quite nicely? Stacked projectors :D

#9 ·
Aye, the 749/999 light unit is far too deep to fit on anything but it's intended bike and look decent.

Drew up a file and sent it over to the sheetmetal dept at work with a bribe of donuts, got a result today. Was debating whether to go with stainless or alum, ended up picking stainless cause it'll have some welded bits and stainless welds are sexier than alum welds.

Spent a minute with some scotch-brite getting a nice brush on it, it'll get a bit dicked up with the additional work it'll get but I think it's best to have a decent finish to begin with and just maintain it than to try and rescue it later on.

Then back to sheetmetal it went for the bends.

Stuck the light in it's general position with some painters tape and had a peek at how it sits. You can see where the bender fucked up the finish, but it'll come out with a bit more scotch-brite and elbow grease.

The upper right-hand area, opposite the light, needs.... something. I'll stick it on the mill and engrave something, a number or a Skully, or knucks, or some vent holes, or something like that. Open to ideas there.

Need to mock up a little hood for the light, but won't be able to weld it on for at least a few days as our TIG machine is out of commission. Haven't used it for a couple weeks now but some clipboard weenies came by to give it it's annual calibration/certification, now when I turn it on it shuts off after half a second. Popped the cover and found this:

30,000 volt capacitor bank with a broken positive wire, and another wire burnt though it's hard to see in the pic. Wanted nothing to do with that, so sent word up the chain and someone from the welding supply place will show up to fix it eventually.

Need to figure out a contraption to mount the light and plate, as well as what the fuck to do with the gauge.

#11 ·
That was the original plan, but.... what number? Random? Should it mean something?

#14 ·
You could put your old unit number/symbol on there. Unless you hated it then nevermind lol. I like the idea of having it cut allbthe way through and having mesh. Maybe even a light behind it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Sweet little Accurpress you guys have there... tell the boys to tape the bottom die next time to avoid the brake lines. If you guys bend much by way of decorative parts, you ought to get a roll of Tuff Brake tape.

#17 ·
I'll pass it on, don't do any decorative stuff here but almost everything we make gets a good bit of finishing work, might make some lives easier.

I like the idea of number 1 or 42 with perf sheet behind it. Wouldn't wanna do my old unit stuff, way too hooah for me lol. I'll sketch up some ideas later and maybe have one ready to cut tomorrow.

#20 ·
I like the idea behind it, maybe a little bit bigger though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
.... you know that latest pic is sideways right?

I'm interested in seeing what you do with the tail.

All of your pics are HUGE, to the point that it's a PITA to see the whole thing (even on a big monitor). Since you're using imgur, if you put h before the .jpg they'll show up a reasonable size instead.
I think I've got the tail design pretty much worked out in my head, just needs doing. Should get around to it soonish.

As for the pics... my bad. It might be the browser you're using though, both my phone and my computer automatically scale down images to a reasonable size.

#23 ·
I'm interested in seeing what you do with the tail.

All of your pics are HUGE, to the point that it's a PITA to see the whole thing (even on a big monitor). Since you're using imgur, if you put h before the .jpg they'll show up a reasonable size instead.

#26 ·
Still?! I reduced my pics to less than half of what they were! I'm shooting at 3mpx 4:3, anything below that goes to like VGA shit...

#28 ·
Ah, now I get what you're saying.
Yeah, I'm still playing with the size/styling/placement, once I get serious abouut it I'll do it up on the confuser. Been busy this week with house stuff.

#29 ·
I'm running Chrome so it isn't some odd browser. Not sure what you guys are running.

Most of Matson's are a little bigger than my screen but yours are a little over double the size of my screen (screen is 1920x1200, pics are a little over 4k x 3k).

#30 ·
Sorry for the radio silence here. I have more on my plate right now than I think I've ever had in my life, and I'm right in the thick of it, so I've only been able to get a few minutes in here and there every couple days. Finally have enough for s small update.

Didn't want to dick around with trying to replicate the geometry of the ass end through measurements into a block of foam, so I tried to take the easy way out with some spray insulation.

Starting by making an ass condom. This stuff is messy.

Then the mess. It didn't stick on the sides as well as I'd hoped, and I lost more to gravity after this pic was taken.

Shapes nicely enough I guess, bit of an unpleasant plastic feel to it.

The big problem with this stuff, I've discovered, is the air pockets. Seems it outgasses as it expands and settles, giving it a bit of a Swiss cheese composition. The holes are too big to just fill, and I'm not really sure what the best thing to do from here is.
I'm kind of leaning towards the idea of covering it in a skin of masking tape, putting a layer of glass on it, and finishing out the shape with body filler. Then I can pull a female mold, and use that for a vac bag carbon job.
Or maybe I just redo it proper with the normal foam block.

In other news, I did a little bit more on the number plate. Couldn't decide on a number, went with the Duc logo instead.

Came out nicely. I'll grab a piece of scrap and poke some holes in it for a perforated backing for the cut out part of the logo and zap it on along with the hood for the light. Debating doing a red paint fill on the engraved border too, we'll see.

#32 ·
Problem is it's just a rough shape, I still need to build up some areas and shave down some others, so I need to cover it in something I can manipulate.

#35 ·
Hmm. I'll have to check it out, looks like it might do what I need. Thanks for the tip.

The logo looks great. What did you use to cut it out?
Thanks! Carved out the main area with a 4-flute 1/4" endmill leaving .025" around the perimeter, then cleaned it up with a 4-flute 3/32" and finished out the corners by hand with a triangle file. The outer border was done with a single flute 1/4" x 60° engraver bit.

#37 ·
Soon..... soon........

So I've been doing a bit of work here and there, ought to be time for an update.

Progress on the number plate. Made a few sizes of perf plates, decided on uh.... think it was 1/8" holes on 1/4" spacing? Whatever, decided on the righthand one here:

Also made up some framework on the backside to provide mounting points for the light and attaching to the bike. Can't seem to find the pics of that, but you can see the rivets along the sides holding it in.

Made up a little mounting bracket to mock it up on the bike, just a rough quickie though. Need to make some time to carve out the necessary bits on the mill. The real deal will sit closer to the forks and a bit higher up.

Might try and knock that out this coming week. Still need to make the little hood for the light and zap that on too.

So in other news. I was riding around and the service light came on, so, service it was given. Did a valve adjustment, new belts, new oil and filter. Kept the plugs and brake/clutch fluids though as I put those in last season.
Good thing I tore it apart too instead of waiting til end of season, two of my valves had broken keepers!

Anyways, I took the opportunity to make the fairings match. Not as pretty as Seb's aircraft theme, but it is aircraft paint. Dehydrated pee yellow!

Just kidding, that's primer. Paint is satin black.

I've had a set of pod filters ready to go on, and haven't done it because the tank is a cunt to take out (because it has to come OUT, not OFF). So I was planning on doing that while I was in there, but another opportunity presented itself.
Someone on one of the Ducati forums just bought a set of fancy velocity stacks and was kind enough to take some measurements before he installed them :D
They run $350 and supposedly they're good for 10-15HP. So some lathe time was had this week, tag-teamed with a coworker.

Once that was turned out I handed it off to the alodine guy to alodine it.
10 min later it came back a bit more corrosion resistant and looking a bit tarted up too.

Then I stuffed them in these, never to be looked at again.

Now, let's all take a minute and laugh at Ducati's idea of airflow. Here's the stock airbox, that little hole on the right side is the ONLY place that air gets sucked in. At some point a previous owner poked a big hole in the top above the actual filter, copying the DP airbox setup, but even so...

Annnnd here's the new setup:

Bit more breathing room now. Butt-dyno to come tomorrow. I fear I may be a bit lean now, maybe time for a real dyno soon.
PS Mikey, Cookie, I have a 3D model and prints of these stacks if you guys want to have a go at em :D

Went back together today. Buddy of mine has a vinyl cutter, he cut me some vinyl. Went with one of the older Duc fonts, cause it's better.

New paint, new rubbers, new belts, tightened valves, cleared up intake, some new carbon bits I forgot to picture, new lithium battery I jacked off another bike in the garage.... gonna be a fun weekend.

#40 ·
Thanks!
Definitely one of the most fun bikes I've been on. 1100cc twin that makes most of its power between 3k-5k, 6spd gearbox, full size tires, and weighs 390lbs stock which I'm working on cutting down to around 360 :D

Looking good! Are those the TPO brand stacks?
Yep! The -R version too. Doesn't quite look like the pics on the Belli website, but the guy just bought them and they're definitely the -R version based on the dimensions so they must have changed up the design at some point.
TPO went under and Belli bought the product from them, but apparently didn't get ANY info along with it so things are a bit of a mess on their end. I tried to get in touch with them regarding which filters to use and they pretty much had no clue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.