XS650 in the works - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Chopper Discussion

Chopper Discussion All discussions about choppers go in here.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > XS650 in the works

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-15-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Lover
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 04:43 AM
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
MDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant future
Default XS650 in the works

Well, when I say 'in the works' what I really mean is 'just joined the line of bikes that will, at some point in the future, be in the works'...
It's nothing like approaching a complete bike, and hasn't been for some time,
currently just a frame and engine that, so I'm told, was once upon a time a '79 (ish) XS650 Special.
The plan (such as it is) is to chop it, I have a pair of GSX-R1000 K4 forks that may be used, and a funky old Honda trials bike fuel tank. It may get hardtailed, or it may retain the swinger in an FLH, laid-down short shorts kind of way...
Don't hold your breath.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170828_111236.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	100284  
MDM is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived MDM!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-16-2018, 08:28 AM   #2
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:43 AM
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 
Default Re: XS650 in the works

the possibilities are endless there boss, minimalist kool , you have my number for when you get going ... (not before TT turbo bike tho)
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-16-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Lover
MDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant future

Cheers fella, and TT turbo bike is top of the priorities, followed by TT back-up turbo bike (yep, the much-maligned "5WF") and then the XS. With some fettling to the other half's Bandit and the Hack SV too...

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-16-2018, 12:59 PM   #4
yantosh

yantosh's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 10:43 AM
Flip Offs: 13
Flipped Off 18 Times in 16 Posts
yantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on hereyantosh spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Winter Buildoff Winner Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Year Fighter of the Month Fighter of the Month 

the never ending story
yantosh is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived yantosh!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-11-2018, 09:41 AM   #5
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Lover

No work done (quelle surprise!) but some bits obtained - a rear wheel and a hardtail conversion kit. Whether the latter gets used will remain to be seen, but it may be used or be hacked up and made different or just ignored...
These people High Fived MDM!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-12-2018, 02:39 AM   #6
Mongoose
GURU

CF Addict
Mongoose's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:43 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

we need more xs's...

they look pretty good with new forks..
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Mongoose!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #7
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Lover

'Snice! R1 forks? And what's the swinging arm? Motocross bike?
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 05-17-2018, 10:07 AM   #8
Mongoose
GURU

CF Addict
Mongoose's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:43 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!Mongoose is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Fighter of the Month 

R1 front, yzf 600 out back.
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
This user High Fived Mongoose!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 02-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #9
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Lover

No work done but a lot of thinking... Going to try and find a drum front hub to match the rear, preferably a conical twin-leading shoe Triumph or BSA one, as that'd look really cool with the GSX-R USD forks. But they seem to fetch premium prices, and the wallet is focussed on the turbo Zed and the SV650 race bike projects right now...
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-08-2019, 09:27 AM   #10
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Lover

After looking into the paperwork side of things, I think I'll need to mock it up into a stand-looking bike in order to be able to get a registration document. When I say 'standard-looking', it'll not have to look like the original XS, but like a 'normal' bike - ie rear suspension, mudguards etc. I can then get around to cutting it around properly after that.
The advantage of getting a registration that ties in with the age of the original frame and engine is that it'll not have to have fripperies such as indicators, and once it is 40 years old, there's no requirement for the yearly roadworthiness test (MoT) or road tax...

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Non-Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Chopper Discussion