Kat's Volty two-fiddy Street Tracker - Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes

Member Project Bikes Project progress threads of members streetfighters.

CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Kat's Volty two-fiddy Street Tracker

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-22-2018, 10:19 AM   #1
GoodKat
Mr. Good Kat
Fighter
GoodKat's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 01:19 AM
Flip Offs: 0
Flipped Off 0 Times in 0 Posts
GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Arrow Kat's Volty two-fiddy Street Tracker

Hey lads,

Short presentation:

About 2 and a half years ago I sold my bike to buy a car (sv650 k4). One year passed and I needed a project, and found this 1997 Volty 250.

Mainly it is the same base as the GN250 but it has a cafe look by default.

Anyway, it started, sounded nice but everything else was not in the best shape.

- Rust on the some frame rails,
- Busted headlight bucket
- Some dings on the fuel tank
- A lot of dirt everywhere
- Some sketchy soldered wires and so on.

The initial plan was to clean it and use it as it is...but where is the fun in that?

2nd plan, that I am following right now - was to shave some weight from it...about 20 kilos or so and to create a nice city tracker that I can commute. The actual weight of this bike is about 127 kilos. I think I can get it under 115 without effort, bu the goal is to shave 20 kilograms.

This bike will probably be a hipster's dream.

Anyway, let's upload some pictures so you can catch up with the current state of the build.
GoodKat is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived GoodKat!

Advertisement
These advertisements only appear for guests, register now for free to remove these ads!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-22-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
GoodKat
Mr. Good Kat
Fighter
GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!GoodKat is an amazingly helpful member with a good attitude!
Default Re: Kat's Volty two-fiddy Street Tracker

This was the day I brought it home. It looks better than it really was.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #3
GoodKat
Mr. Good Kat
Fighter

Startet tearing it apart.

Sketchy connection 1.

Sketchy connection 2

Sketchy connection 3

What?
This user High Fived GoodKat!

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-22-2018, 10:38 AM   #4
GoodKat
Mr. Good Kat
Fighter

Anyway...instead fixing each of this electric gremlins, took down the entire electric harness, removed the old wrap, resoldered connections, re-wrapped it...Hope it will work when I'll put everything back together.

This was the result.

Because we're talking about electrics...I decided to build my own tail light. Went to a store and found some aluminum tubings for stairs. Bought some of these, added some scrap aluminum I had laying around the "shop", cut a round lens out of a wrecked tail light, added the electric system of a chinese tail light and got this:

Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-22-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
GoodKat
Mr. Good Kat
Fighter

I am not 100% satisfied with the result. I don't have precision tools and it's not perfectly centered...I might re-think some parts, but for the moment I'll leave it like this. I wish I had a lathe.

Stay tuned.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-22-2018, 10:26 PM   #6
shinyribs
Is my bike ok?
shinyribs's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
I support CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 02:19 AM
Flip Offs: 58
Flipped Off 116 Times in 103 Posts
shinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too muchshinyribs plays with their repper too much
Fighter of the Month 

Dude, that tail light is awesome. Not a thing wrong with it. I'd be proud to rock it.
shinyribs is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-23-2018, 01:02 AM   #7
Mattson
Stressed Member
Mattson's Avatar on CustomFighters.com Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum
Local Time: 09:19 AM
Flip Offs: 24
Flipped Off 33 Times in 21 Posts
Mattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on hereMattson spends too much time on here
Fighter of the Month 

It's hand crafted, it's not supposed to look like machine made.

That little thing is just screaming for clipons and a fiberglass humpback cafe single seat

Benelli Tornado TRE Novecento 2006
EX: Triumph Daytona 955i DSSA 2002 Fighter
My homebrew blog thread thingy: Oddball Brewery
Mattson is online now   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-23-2018, 02:42 AM   #8
GoodKat
Mr. Good Kat
Fighter

Thank you both for your kind words. I will add some more pictures soon. The build is getting pretty advanced since the frame is being modified. I don't like the flimsy engine and footpegs mounts. The stock ones were made out of chinesium steel probably, about 3.5 - 4 mm thick.

You could observe that the foot pegs mounts were bent because they didn't support someone's standing weight.

Here is the original frame according to the part fiche:

Here is my idea for this frame:

Behold the ultra-detailed, alien-technology, frame-sketch, peasants!

Just kidding, it's a doodle I've made before work.

What I want to replace: all engine mounts will be made out of 10mm thick steel plate. The 3-4mm one wasn't my cup of tea.

A frame loop will be aded at the end of the frame.

The bar that sits under the engine, joining the left and right side of the frame will be re-thinked. The stock one it's so ugly and the welds are the same.

All the welding and metal cuting is being made right now by a friend. He has a metal work shop, tools and knowledge. Everything will be tig/mig welded.
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-23-2018, 02:43 AM   #9
GoodKat
Mr. Good Kat
Fighter

Stay tuned!
Old Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum Post 03-23-2018, 11:12 AM   #10
MDM
Procrastinator

CF Lover
Flip Offs: 3
Flipped Off 2 Times in 2 Posts
MDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant futureMDM has a brilliant future

You're doing some great work there chap, and this is going to be a rather cool little city bike I think, although I have to admit that I was a little disturbed by this pic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKat View Post

Are you making bits in the nude?...
MDM is offline   Reply With Quote on our streetfighter motorcycle forum
These people High Fived MDM!

Custom Fighters - Custom Streetfighter Motorcycle Forum > Streetfighter Motorcycle Discussion > Member Project Bikes